Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder - Nov.4  (Read 6326 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder - Nov.4
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »

i like playing springs on 12 but sometimes when its clear i'll go to 8lb, u just need to finess them, steelhead i'll go all the way throught he spectrum 6-12lb.
Fish killer 101

Jendex

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »

12lb. MAxima Ultragreen is overpowered IMO. It's all about physics boys.

mmmroe

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »

so 12lb mainline is not strong enough.  Perhaps I should just go 50lb braid and do what everyone does and horse the fish in... 
12lb is ok for coho but not strong enough for chum or mature spring salmon. Most people use at least 15lb test on the Vedder. Another consideration is, how old is the line? Mono, after a few years becomes brittle from UV exposure and is prone to breaking. If you fish a lot it is a good idea to change your mono out every year or every few years if you don't fish that often.

I've been fishing 6-8lbs leader all year for springs, chums, coho, and steelies on the pin.....landed some big stinky whities too and numerous chumleys.... but its personal preference if you wanna put the boots to a fish with a beefy leader and gears...

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »

I never use more than 10 lb leader whatever I am fishing for, there is no need !! there is no reason whatsoever to use a mainline stronger than 12 pound IMO, unless of course you need to use 12-15 pound leader... which is not really neccessary cept for Sturgeon :)
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 11:56:44 PM »

so 12lb mainline is not strong enough.  Perhaps I should just go 50lb braid and do what everyone does and horse the fish in... 
12lb is ok for coho but not strong enough for chum or mature spring salmon. Most people use at least 15lb test on the Vedder. Another consideration is, how old is the line? Mono, after a few years becomes brittle from UV exposure and is prone to breaking. If you fish a lot it is a good idea to change your mono out every year or every few years if you don't fish that often.

I've been fishing 6-8lbs leader all year for springs, chums, coho, and steelies on the pin.....landed some big stinky whities too and numerous chumleys.... but its personal preference if you wanna put the boots to a fish with a beefy leader and gears...

If i recall you were using 40lb leader on the fraser :D
weeeeeeeeeow!

mmmroe

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 12:42:57 AM »

LOL  ;D  ;D better than ur 80 lbs yellow fireline spooking all the coho in the cap hahahaha.....and not to mention the wild summer run that you used 80 lbs main and 40 lb leader!!!! ;D  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 07:33:23 AM »

I find 15 main and 10 lb leaders to be pretty much all i need for the places i fish.
Some people fish in places that are impossible to land  a fish.
Sure its nice to hook them but if you cant land them it isnt fair to the fish.

Was very impressed by a new line i recently seen on another fishers reel.
He buys it at Army & Navy and it is very cheap.I think he said it was like $12.00 and that was for 700 yards of what looked like 15lb test.
It had little memory and he really likes it since using since last year.
Sorry i dont remember the name of it but i do know it was at Army & Navy.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 06:04:58 PM »

I never use more than 10 lb leader whatever I am fishing for, there is no need !! there is no reason whatsoever to use a mainline stronger than 12 pound IMO, unless of course you need to use 12-15 pound leader... which is not really neccessary cept for Sturgeon :)
TH

Yeah...Hmmm I kind of remember Mr. Calloway pointing out that that was the reason you lost those fish on the upper!!! ;D Come to think of it, that's the same pound leaders we were using for our trout fishing this weekend....Good thing we didn't hook anything big...errr..wait a minute.. ;)

who dat??

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:07:45 PM by Xgolfman »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 06:26:47 PM »

LOL  ;D  ;D better than ur 80 lbs yellow fireline spooking all the coho in the cap hahahaha.....and not to mention the wild summer run that you used 80 lbs main and 40 lb leader!!!! ;D  ;D

Those cap coho are tanks...very common to use 80 and 40.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Hollis

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 03:33:19 PM »

Hit the Vedder at 7:00 this thursday morning, visibility 70%. Second cast got one Chum using roe, changed to a blade, landed 1 hatchery hoe, CHROME ;D.

(fished till noon nothing else ???, but it was a great day.)

The Fish Wisperer