Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legal Issues Re Fish farms  (Read 6630 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Legal Issues Re Fish farms
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »

Glad you're back Chris ... who else would shovel this stuff our way ::)  Interesting that all the complainants are American, Almo, by birth (and IMO her agenda), included. 

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:51:59 PM »

Once again the atlantic salmon farms in Washington float under the US radar. Looks more like a US marketing campaign.   

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »

Boy, the Anti American ugliness rears its head. I sure most don't care who casts light on the crap the feedlots use, so long as they shine it brightly. How about Dave or Farmfistulabawb drink a bit of slice? No? Why not? ::)
http://

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »

Boy, the Anti American ugliness rears its head. I sure most don't care who casts light on the crap the feedlots use, so long as they shine it brightly. How about Dave or Farmfistulabawb drink a bit of slice? No? Why not? ::)
No need to be so angry, just follow the money to see who's pockets doc Morton is in. :)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »

No need to be so angry, just follow the money to see who's pockets doc Morton is in. :)
And follow the money for the feedlot crew and see their pockets filled by Norwegian krones. What's your point?  Sooo farmfisherbawb are you willing to drink a shot of slice? Just a single shot glass, no more than that, and I'll  even give you a bottle of 18 year old single malt to wash it down with.....

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »

And follow the money for the feedlot crew and see their pockets filled by Norwegian krones. What's your point?  Sooo farmfisherbawb are you willing to drink a shot of slice? Just a single shot glass, no more than that, and I'll  even give you a bottle of 18 year old single malt to wash it down with.....
Now you are just being silly. Perhaps you can tell me why US money is not doing the same to salmon farms in Washington, Maine and Alaska.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »

No courage to your convictions farmfisherbawb? You continually claim slice is safe - but don't have the fortitude to stand up to a little challenge. So is it safe or not? Don't see much denial about the Norwegian interests either. Tell you what, I'm a sporting guy. Half a shot glass..... And if no - Why not? Couldn't be that it's not safe for human consumption would it? ;)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

Now you are just being silly. Perhaps you can tell me why US money is not doing the same to salmon farms in Washington, Maine and Alaska.
Since I am not a salmon farmer and you seem to be hooked on slice tonight, can you tell or post a link on how slice is administered to the salmon. After you answer my first question that is. :). You seem to be a know it all, so I am sure it will not be too hard of a task. :)

"You continually claim slice is safe". Not sure what dream you pulled that one out of NB or do you just make stuff up as you go along? What ever spins your reel LOL. I know, too many questions for an obedient listener. :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:26:58 PM by Fisherbob »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »

OK - It's added to their feed. I'll give you a pass if you pour it over your corn flakes.Just a half shot glass of emamectin benzoate and you get a bottle of nice 18 year old single malt- what could go wrong? You talk a mean game, but don't have the courage to stick to your "convictions". And pot calling kettle black regarding Norwegian financial interests. Whoops, don't like that fact. do you?
Sometimes I wonder if you're really Mary Ellen Walling, just trolling along.....

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 06:13:02 AM »

But on the other hand, I wonder what public response would be to a citizen's initiative (like the HST) to abolish feedlots would be like? Hmmmm

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »

Thank you for the drink offer NB but I get my slice intake from the trace amounts found in beef. Keep on dreaming Doc Morton. :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:41:33 AM »

It would get rid of all those nasties in your nether regions Bawb. You would get clean again, pants wouldn't get all snagged up on them critters. Have it on toast.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15462160

Acute poisoning with emamectin benzoate.
Yen TH, Lin JL.
Source

Division of Clinical Toxicology, Department of Nephrology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Emamectin benzoate is the 4'-deoxy-4'-epi-methyl-amino benzoate salt of avermectin B1 (abamectin), which is similar structurally to natural fermentation products of Streptomyces avermitilis. Emamectin benzoate is being developed as a newer broad-spectrum insecticide for vegetables and has a very low application rate. The mechanism of action involves stimulation of high-affinity GABA receptors and a consequent increase in membrane chloride ion permeability. Animal studies indicate a wide margin of safety because mammalian species are much less sensitive due to lower GABA receptor affinities and relative impermeability of the blood-brain barrier. Notably, the literature has not reported human exposure resulting in toxicity.
CASE REPORT:

This paper describes a case of acute poisoning with Proclaim insecticide (Syngenta, Taiwan), consisting of 2.15% w/w emamectin benzoate in 2, 6-bis (1, 1-dimethylethyl)-4-methyl-phenol and 1-hexanol. The clinical manifestation was transient gastrointestinal upset with endoscopy-proven gastric erosion and superficial gastritis, mild central nervous system depression, and aspiration pneumonia. No specific antidote exists for emamectin benzoate intoxication; this patient was treated successfully with gastric lavage, administration of activated charcoal, and empiric antibiotics. Drugs that enhance GABA activity such as barbiturates and benzodiazepines were avoided.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

ummm, YUMMY SLICE!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22039799

Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2012 May;13(6):1095-102.
Avermectin use in aquaculture.
Horsberg TE.
Source

Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, PO Box 8146 Dep., NO-0033 Oslo, Norway. tor.e.horsberg@nvh.no
Abstract

The main indication for use of avermectins in aquaculture-produced fish is infestations with ectoparasitic copepods. The compounds ivermectin and emamectin benzoate are predominantly used as in-feed formulations on salmonid fish against copepods in the family Caligidae: Lepeophtheirus salmonis, Caligus elongatus and C. rogercresseyi. These agents are well-documented as very effective on all developmental stages of the parasites. The duration of effect can be up to 10 weeks. The safety margin for ivermectin is narrow, but better for emamectin benzoate. Environmental impact from these chemicals on bottom-dwelling and sediment-dwelling organisms occurs, but these are restricted to the immediate area around the production site. Avermectins are incompletely absorbed from the intestine of the fish and slowly excreted. They penetrate the blood-brain barrier of the fish, ivermectin more than emamectin benzoate. Resistance has developed against these agents in L. salmonis in almost all major salmon producing areas. The situation must be viewed as serious and can render these agents completely ineffective for salmon lice control.