Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore fishing for Sole and Flunder?  (Read 12425 times)

Stu

Shore fishing for Sole and Flunder?
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »

I would like to take my daughter for some Sole fishing and was wondering if there is any good spots to fish for Sole from shore (lol it rimes).
I was thinking about Ambleside park, Belcara, Stanly park, or White Rock? would any of this location be productive to keep a 7y old busy?
What bait and setup would be the best to use for the above mentioned fish?

Than you.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Double Underhooks

Re: Shore fishing for Sole and Flunder?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »

Heard (never tried) that its productive at Light House park in W. Van.

Stu

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »

Isn't lighthouse park a no fish zone to protect the rock fish population?

Scooterguy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »

Isn't lighthouse park a no fish zone to protect the rock fish population?
[/glow]

I heard about this 4 + yrs ago. I am not sure the no fish zone is still effect. It is a great place for family to hike and fish at the same time. You can try at the Barnet Park. I saw people caught a lot of Bull head there and crabbing at the same time.

For bait, I normally used worm from the garden.
Good luck

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »

In the summer periods, soles could be caught off the ambleside pier with some prawns.  normally during this time of year, you may not get as much around there but if you hit the right tide, you could get some perch along the pier.  pound for pound, it's a much better fight.  If you fish where the totem poles are, you could get some greenlings but it's not as comfortable as the pier.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »

Shoreline fishing is closed in Lighthouse Park by the Municipality of West Vancouver.

DFO's Area 28 regulations can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.htm

Scroll down to see no fishing areas, as well as designated rockfish conservation areas, where total fishing closure is in effect.

Stu

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »

Thank you for the information,
I will probably try Ambleside for the convenience sake. As for bullheads I  just hate them, even my daughter is tired of them, they just swallow the hock too deep every tine so you have to unhook it from their guts or brig a bunch of hooks and cut the line every time. Does anyone eat bullheads anyway?

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

if you use a pair of hemostats, it's pretty easy to take it out of the mouth without too much injury.  if you fish at the other pier down the street from ambleside, on low tide from the rocks, you could catch perch there quite easily but be prepared to lose more gear if you are really sick of the bullheads.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:07 PM »

At Belcarra I have brought my kids and caught a bunch of sole. Not many bullheads at all.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »

IIRC flounder fishing always started to slow down in the fall.  By Thanksgiving, we never used to catch much from the shore in West Van/ Bowen back when that was allowed.  Why not try the Fraser for squawfish (some people call them pike minnows as well).  I guarantee they are biting because they stole all my bait last weekend ever cast.

Stu

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 11:52:51 PM »

IIRC flounder fishing always started to slow down in the fall.  By Thanksgiving, we never used to catch much from the shore in West Van/ Bowen back when that was allowed.  Why not try the Fraser for squawfish (some people call them pike minnows as well).  I guarantee they are biting because they stole all my bait last weekend ever cast.

I know the squawfish are biting but we would like to catch something that we can actually eat, that's why I thought sole would be a good choice. My girl is not strong enough to catch a salmon.
What is the best season for sole anyways?
I might try some worms with a floater @ Sassamat lake and try to get some rainbows.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »

You can actually eat the squawfish, there's a bit more tiny bones and all but people do eat it.  my buddy caught a pretty big one the other day, close to a 1lb.  If you fillet it up and use a blender, the tiny bones are not even that noticeable (fish cakes).  i know i'm no chef and all but that's just one way to make it.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 12:22:27 AM »

Squaws smell so bad I'm not sure i could stomach eating one... but i haven't tried.  Flounder I have tried fried in butter and herbs and its a big bland- its certainly not halibut.  Even a large flounder doesn't yield much meat.  I wouldn't keep one less than 10" at the minimum.

Fishing from docks and the beach for ground fish was always best for me in summer or late spring.  Never had much luck any other time of year.  It might be still alright due to the indian summer we're having though.

doja

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:29:19 AM »

When I fish for sole I use sole. Yup they like sole and you can cut them up in to strips and hook it threw the top of the strip so when you reel in the hook is at the top of the bait and I leave only 1 point exposed. It's allot easier to remove 1 point of a treble than 3 points down deep. I also started to get allot less deep hooking this way.

Make sure you use a swivel some where in line.

I also caught allot of dog fish too which are pretty cool looking and fairly strong.

Good luck

Apparently the shore fishing slows down due to the rain creating less saliently in the waters near shore. That's what is said about crab so I would think it would also apply to bottom fish.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:30:58 AM by doja »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »

Belcarra is also good for sole, perch and at times herring.

Sole is usually good from mid June all the way to 1st week of Sept.  Once nite temperature starts to drop below 15C they start to move out to the deep.