Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reel maintenance  (Read 5415 times)

redfishbluefish

Reel maintenance
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »

Picked up some Abu Garcia grease and some 3 in 1 oil and plan on tuning up the reels this weekend.  Any advice/tips/best practices for reel maintenance?

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Reel maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:20:44 AM »

Go to Mike's Reel Repair site and download and print schematic diagram of your reel. It makes it so easy to take it apart, clean and relube, and reassemble it back properly. You do it once or twice and than you can do it with your eyes closed.

obie1fish

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »

X2 for tadpole's advice. I like to make sure that when I disassemble any part of the reel, I make sure to put them on a piece of paper towel in the order they were taken off. As well, I like to make sure I put all parts such that I know which side is "up"when I put them back. For some part it doesn't matter, as they are the same on both sides, but not for others.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:26:15 AM »

Take pictures when you get apart and be organized with a few bowls to put pieces in if you're dismantling.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »

Take pictures when you get apart and be organized with a few bowls to put pieces in if you're dismantling.

This. I stripped a 66 mustang down to nothing and without my pictures I wouldn't have had much success putting it back together.
If something looks tricky, take a pic of it before you start stripping it down aswell.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »

This. I stripped a 66 mustang down to nothing and without my pictures I wouldn't have had much success putting it back together.
If something looks tricky, take a pic of it before you start stripping it down aswell.
When I was 13 yrs old my brother and I bought two 1968 Firebird's completely disassembled (the disassembler was killed in a car accident).
Worst job ever trying to find parts and put them together (pre-internet).

redfishbluefish

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »

Some great tips!! Thanks!!  :)

redfishbluefish

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »

One other question, do you guys use special grease for the drag system or can you get away with gear grease?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 07:07:28 AM »

Basic Shimano Reel Service
I am using a Shimano Chronarch CH100A
but the procedure is similar for most Shimano baitcasters.
Regular maintenance will keep your reel in top shape. This page covers basic routine maintenance. Saltwater use requires more frequent maintenance.
No tools are required for this procedure. You will need a rag, some good reel oil, some Q-Tip swabs, alcohol, and some Reel Magic or other type of cleaner/protectant. A copy of the exploded parts diagram is also a great help.

1. Loosen the quick takedown thumbscrew and remove the sideplate. Remove the spool from the frame. Some models have a clip holding the spool. A little pressure will free the spool. Spray a rag with some Silicon Spray, ReelX, Reel Magic, or CRC and wipe down the entire reel to remove any dirt, salt, etc.. You can use the Q-Tip swab to access the tight areas. 

2. Apply a small drop of oil to the bearing that's located in the center of the sideplate. I use the applicator tip to control the amount of oil applied. 

3. Saturate a Q-Tip with alcohol and clean the inside of the brake drum. After it dries, run a swab that's been wetted with oil around the drum. A very thin, light coat is all that is required. 

4. Clean and dry the spool shaft. Oil on this shaft will reduce your free-spool capabilities and decrease casting distance. 

5. Place one drop of oil on the spool shaft bearing. 

6. Place one drop of oil on the end of the worm shaft. 

7. Place one drop of oil on the handle shaft. 

8. Place one drop of oil on each end of the levelwind worm gear and one in the center. 

9. Remove the cast control cap. Some models have a spring under the cap. Swab the cap out and place one drop of oil on the shim. If the shim is dimpled, flip it over. 

10. Place one drop of oil on the bearing. The bearings are exposed on the Calcuttas and standard Curados. The Chronarchs and Curado SF reels have two nylon seals (pictured) with the spool clip sandwiched between them. These need to be removed to access the bearing.
11. Place one drop of oil on each of the handle knobs. 

Your reel is now clean, lubed and ready to re-assemble

ribolovac02

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »

Most mistakes people make including myself when I started maintaining my own reels is putting too much grease or oil where needed , it does the opposite of what you really want ...
Just my two cents

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »

I am too lazy...I just take mine to Lyndsay Britton here in Chilliwack for cleaning and greasing...he does a great job and even fixes deficiencies that I may have missed.  He is decent pricing too..