Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing opportunities in Cabo?  (Read 12590 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing opportunities in Cabo?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »

Just a single 10 ft rod in a single tube.

No tackle box as I only brought a few things in my checked luggage: 5 lures, my 50lb leader roll, swivels and some pencil lead.

Here's what I have for lures: 

The blue one on the left has given me a decent hookup but I got spooked when hundreds of bait fish ran into me & I let the pressure off (foolishly had the barbs pinched).

I've only fished once when the conditions looked good (baitfish boils close to shore) so I haven't really given it a chance.
The hookup I had was when I cast right behind a baitfish boil & retrieved through it.

I got some standard swivels today from the fishing store & I am going to try the popper on the right with some pencil lead.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

By the way, I'm not in Cabo but way further south just north of Manzanillo.

The beach runs east/west with a long point that sticks out on the west - makes for beautiful sunsets.

Here I am chest-deep in the water - boils right in front of me the other day:

vandenhooff

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 05:48:37 PM »

Hola Easywater, I say use that silver lure, the one in the centre of your photo above.  Cast it out and reel like a mad man. If you're lure isn't skipping across the surface the fish won't be interested. You have to mimic the bait fish which swim fast, really fast. We have been to Puerto Vallarta many times and have chartered a boat three times. The Captain (same one every time) would yell at me "reel faster, reel faster!" We were on big boils of Jack Crevelles. It was so much fun.

Good luck, keep sending notes and pictures. It's great!

Adios amigo,

Dennis

chief

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »

Have fished for the past 10 years or so in the  Los Barilles ( East Cape Area  ) 1/2 way between Cabo + La Paz . About an hour drive north of the airport on the  Sea of Cortez. Great fishing of the beach, fly or gear and blue water for the big boys ! . Usually we go in October after hurricane season but trying May this year for a change. You can rent a house on the beach very reasonably (www.vrbo.com), rent an ATV and fish  the beaches dawn to dusk except for afternoon siesta ! Several fishing resorts in the area if you do not want to rent a house .  May can't come soon enough for me !!  8)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »

Well, I got schooled by the locals in the art of beach fishing yesterday.
I have seen a large group of pelicans down the beach about 1km for the last couple of days and decided to go down and check it out.

The locals take a large bucket of small baitfish (3" to 4") down to the beach and hook one of the fish through the nose on a bare hook.
Then a guy paddles out on a surfboard with a couple of lines to about 100 feet from shore and drops the lines.
Not sure if there are weights on the line or if the fish just swim around.

They are using a large spool of about 30lb test and put the spool in the bucket.
They relax and have a beer waiting for the fish.

When they hook a fish, the spool starts spinning in the bucket and they reel the fish in.

Mostly Jack Crevals (Toros) but I saw a gar (giant needlefish) and heard of a few dorados from shore.

vandenhooff

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »

They relax and have a beer waiting for the fish.

Hey! that's exactly how I fish in Mexico!  ;D

Sounds and looks like you're having a ball EasyWater. Glad you found some locals who shared their knowledge. I chuckle when we spend tons of $$$ on rods, reels, tackle.... and the locals use a bucket and a spool of mono.   

Looks sunny and warm in Manzanillo. Back here it's trying to snow; another good reason to enjoy a beer.