Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Center Pin?  (Read 15506 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: What Center Pin?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »

that kingfisher is a good choice, and from my experiences a good quality bushing is better than a bearing.

good luck with ur new setup!
Fish killer 101

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »

"[Bushing or Bearing: 

It's personal preference really and it depends on your fishing style.  The way we fish here in BC with the larger floats and pencil lead, the bushing would be a good choice and won't need much start up because of the weight.

Now..if you use smaller floats(below 20gm) and tiny split shot, bearing reels are good.  Easy start up with a light setup in slow flowing water creating a drag free drift. 

If your style varies then a bearing reel would be your best bet because it's overall performance will match whatever float/weight setup you go with.

It's tough to really say what to go with, the best thing to do is test one out if you know someone that has the reels you are interested in.

Solid points.  Bearings do offer better start up overall and will work better in very slow flows.  Although, a bushing reel that is well broken in is also has a pretty low start up.

Also, bushing reels are simpler in design and easy to take apart on the flow.  If you get some grit in your bearing reel and you need to take it apart to clean it (because dunking didn't work) it's easy.  On some bearing reels there is a bearing cover with tiny screws that need to be removed in order to access the innards. 

If you're seriously considering the Milner, and  you want to be traditional, stick with the bushing design, provided you're mainly fishing rivers with decent flow.  Vedder, Chehalis, Stave, etc.  If you're fishing some backwater sloughs with really low flows consider the bearing model and then you may even consider upgrading the bearings yourself later.  The bearing model will have better start up right out of the box compared to the bushing model.
President Club S. C. & P.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 06:12:37 PM »

the newer kingfishers are not up to the quality of the older ones, ask anyone who has owned or used both... i have 2 talisman reels kingfishers and they are sweet, i owned an islander for years and sold it but it was bullet proof, i own 2 kingpins...they have had problems with the back screw and other quality issues,but do spin well.

one of the greatest reels imo is the Seldex II 4.5'' reel.

my pick would be the seldex II or an older kingfisher.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »

jaez270

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »

Can anyone give me a run down on casting with a centerpin reel?
I read an article in a magazine which lead me to belive it  was in some ways similar to a levelwind.
But after the reading the rest of the article i'm more confused than I was before.

jaez270

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »

Anyone everheard of a JW Young center pin reel    (Bob James Or Purist 2)
I'm pretty sure it's mde by cortland.

Fisherama

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »

Can anyone give me a run down on casting with a centerpin reel?
I read an article in a magazine which lead me to belive it  was in some ways similar to a levelwind.
But after the reading the rest of the article i'm more confused than I was before.

I know what you mean.  When I first started out with the centerpin I did a lot of research online into casting methods... nottingham cast, wallis casts and many more which got confusing really quickly.  But I find that the go-to method (out on the west coast anyways) is to simply hold the rod and let the reel loose (allowing for your setup to drop momentarily and gain momentum) then just swing it out like a levelwind.  But make sure you put the breaks on the reel before your float hits the water or you'll end up with a big birds nest.  Hope this helps.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »

lol no jw young and sons is a company from the UK. bob james is a famous angler after which the reel was made, it and the purist are both bearing reels, cortland i believe bought the rights to them or something like that but i think it may have been sold back, i havent heard much about it lately.

they are sweet reels though and spin very nicely

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/reels.htm
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

jaez270

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »

Well there is a listing in the 09 cortland catalog for 3 reels made by JW Young.
Any idea as to how many peso's a reel such as that is worth?

lol no jw young and sons is a company from the UK. bob james is a famous angler after which the reel was made, it and the purist are both bearing reels, cortland i believe bought the rights to them or something like that but i think it may have been sold back, i havent heard much about it lately.

they are sweet reels though and spin very nicely

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/reels.htm

atila

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »

Kingfisher