Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sun Oct 1 and Mon Oct 2.  (Read 3699 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Vedder Sun Oct 1 and Mon Oct 2.
« on: October 02, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

So I was envy of my pal catching a coho, so I went up to Vedder again on Sun.  I was a bit tired out from Sat’s fishing trip so slept through the alarm (7:00am) and didn’t wake up until 11am.  Grabbed a piece of toast and a cup of Americano and off I went.

Arrived at the same location as Sat, started fishing about 12:45.  I started with blades, and about an hour past I was into my first fish.. a CHUM a big canine chum.  The blade was INSIDE it’s mouth with it’s mouth closed so tight I decided to cut the line and let the fish go, and a blade  :-[  Well for the next while all I got was chum after chum.  So I decided to move down stream.  After a few mins of hiking I came upon another run we fished on Sat.  I started casting away… float dipped zoom up stream and a big leap WOW what a chromer a nice silvery spring. Didn’t want to loose it so tried to be as careful as I can, finally after a long fight the I was able to tail the fish and wow a nice 16lbish spring.  Decided to call it a day, left around 5, got home around 6:30pm quickly fillet and BBQ the fish. Apart from a piece of fillet in the freezer (saving for sashimi) all’s gone by 10.

Monday, got to work in the morning it was slow.  So my nice colleague said she’ll cover for me and off to Vedder again.  Didn’t arrive at our spot until 3pm, I decided to fish with wool soaked with anise oil.  No luck in the pool so tried the run area…  hey hey NICE float shaked… hook set a nice silvery fish leaped out of the surface.. MY FIRST COHO THIS YEAR…. land the little lady, bled it and started to fish again.  Not many cast later another HO was on.  This time it’s not as tame leaping here and there.. slow slow take your time so I said to myself, after a long while (believe it or not actually took longer to land than last day’s spring) this fish makes today’s catch a couple. ;D

It is now around 6pm I decided to fish another 30 min before I call it a day.  Moved to a deeper slot and just before the 30min mark’s up… Hey what do you know a spring….
Well it sure was a happy day today.

Boozi

Re: Vedder Sun Oct 1 and Mon Oct 2.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »

Nice looking fish you got. :o
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »

Well done i want to go to the vedder so bad  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
crab cakes

Sinaran

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:43:56 PM »

sweeeeeeeeet!   good job!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:58:37 PM »

Well done. I wish I had something better to report but my Maple Leaf Stealth did not go down once in 2 hours of fishing this morning. The highlight of the day was seeing a Drennan going down past me (Helmut picked it up below me) and having a good breakfast at Cookies with Rodney and his guest from Wales.

Tomorrow will be a better day, I think, as I try to improve on my 1 coho jack and 2 spring jacks in 10 or so outing, will change locations.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:21:58 PM »

wow great job, so late in the day.  i went out myself (early) no luck. a few good hits and hookups, but none landed. i'm 0 for 3 so far :'(

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 06:59:48 AM »

BwiBwi, you were upper river catching these clean fish?   ???

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 08:28:15 AM »

Nice, thats the first picture this year where someone has more than one coho.  Good job.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:02:28 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 10:51:46 AM »

Awsome report, Good job on the coho!!!!!!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »

Congrats to you nice catches.  You are now a pro.  :D 

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 03:59:47 PM »

Great job!  I'm new to this whole river fishing scene (and to the area - I grew up in Alberta until I came to my senses, and age of majority to move back here!).  Point is, I've been trying to figure this out... I've got the techniques somewhat figured out, but I can't figure out where I should go... I've been to some of the pools at the end of Lickman Rd. (crazy busy there - not my idea of relaxing day fishing!) - the Limit Hole, up at the boundary (again - need boxing gloves in my tackle box!).  I fish during the week, by myself for the most part (most of my friends actuall WORK during the week!) so I don't have friends to show me around... if anyone could give me some suggestions as to where to go (er, let me rephrase that.. where to FISH!) on the Vedder (I need newby directions - I don't know the area very well at all) and maybe a tip or two about what to try, I would be forever grateful!  I get that you don't want to share some of your spots with the world - if anyone is willing to share a spot or two with me I would not only be grateful, I'll give you my word to haul out at least a shopping bag full of trash each time I go anywhere on the vedder (god knows there's enug there!).  You can email me at scouterjames@hotmail.com and I promise, I won't post or share the info!  Maybe there's a fellow Scouting Leader out there that might lend a hand?  Thanks to anyone that can offer any help to a newbie - sucks to be new!!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 04:41:57 PM »

Welcome to the Mainland! I lived in Port Alberni a few years ago to! Good fishing.
Nice fish by the way BwiBwi! Damn! Gotta get out to the Vedder!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 11:45:55 PM »

That is true at some spots on the river, However If you go for a walk and explore you can find water that has not been fished and with 0 people ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

slimyfish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 08:14:53 AM »

Nice catch BwiBwi, some quality springs in the system.  Now that worth a drive out there for that!  Purple haze-although the Vedder tend to be crowded compare to the past, it's all relative with population expansion.  Sadly the river can support a lot more fishers with its' 20 kms plus of fishable sections as roe kid indicated too.  We are blessed with wonderful fishing opportunitity within an hours drive, given the population expansion of the lower mainland, we could be worse off: lottery to fish! :o  Speaking of fishing, I will venture out to the Vedder now for some relaxing day at the river before the whole lower mainland population shows up :o

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »

very nice fish  ;D sounds like you had a great afternoon and to boot even had someone at work to cover for yah just don't get better than that ;D