Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon rod  (Read 7401 times)

noobfisher

Pink salmon rod
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »

I know it's another year away but , is a 10'6 foot 6-12 lb rated bait caster to large for Fraser river pink salmon fishing?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Pink salmon rod
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »

It's not a terrible rod (better too powerful than not powerful enough).
You would probably find it more enjoyable spoon or spinner fishing to Pinks close to shore using a shorter, more senstivie rod.
A lighter power 7-8.5' rod for Pinks is a blast.

alan701

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »

Is that what you have right now and is the rod rated 6-12 lb? Last year was my first time and everyone I saw on the Fraser beaches was using about 7 foot trout rods and about 8 lb line. You have to be able to cast small spoons so a baitcaster might be hard for that.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

Last year I used a 9' light action salmon spinning rod rated for 6-10lbs for Squamish pinks and it was a real blast.
It was fun to land typical 5 pound pinks and could still handle an occasional 10 pound brutes without difficulty.

noobfisher

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »

I have a 7 ft trout rod rated 2-6 lb that I could use for pinks.  Just trying to find a rod length and line rating I can use for pinks and steelhead as a dual purpose rod for a bait casting set-up.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »

For steelheading, you would need a rod that is at least 8-12lb rated bait caster and preferably a 8-17lb rated bait caster.
Steelhead on the Vedder are on average bigger than cohos so you do need a bigger stick than for pinks.
Also steelheading is sometimes done in faster water than pinks so do need a rod with some backbone to turn them in those water.
If I had to choose one baitcaster for pink, coho and steelhead, it would probably be a 8-12lb rated one.
However, as it is not uncommon to hook into a freshrun steelhead in mid teens on the Vedder, you might be undergunned under some situations.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:33:27 PM by bigblue »

noobfisher

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »

Any advice for a good all around bait casting rod for pinks/coho and steelhead?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:29:14 PM by noobfisher »

cohoaaron

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »

i have a fenwick canadian methods spinning rod, 9 foot, rated 12-25 pound test (doesnt feel like it), i use it for coho,pinks,chum, it works well for all of them, even larger cuttys fight well on it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »

My personal favourite when it comes to spinning rods for pink salmon is one rated between 4 and 10lb test. 8' feels ideal, any longer becomes a bit tiring when you need to constantly cast and retrieve. Occasionally we use a shorter spinning rod rated 2 to 6lb. It does the job, but just takes a bit longer to bring the fish in. If the rod is to be used for steelhead and coho as well, then the rating 8 to 12lb is more suitable IMO.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

alan701's comment is quite valid. Most baitcasters that are used for steelhead won't cast a 3/16oz spoon (i.e. Calcutta, Abu C3/C4, ...) at all.
A spinning rod is the ideal choice for Pinks.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

alan701's comment is quite valid. Most baitcasters that are used for steelhead won't cast a 3/16oz spoon (i.e. Calcutta, Abu C3/C4, ...) at all.
A spinning rod is the ideal choice for Pinks.

X2...  Spinning with small spoons (a proper finish/colour matched 3/16 oz Croc is absolutely deadly and outfish any other gear method IMO) is the most effective and fun method to catch a pink salmon IMO.  Bait casters do work, but even there, the most effective method I have seen is using small thin spoons like Dick Nites under a spoon. As pink fishing is summer fishing, getting it down is not as critical vs. imparting proper action/angle via swinging a spoon. 

noobfisher

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »

Thanks for the input guess I'll focus on a dedicated coho steelhead rod and use my spinning outfit for pinks.  Feel free to suggest models, brands of casting rods for steelhead/coho :)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »

Thanks for the input guess I'll focus on a dedicated coho steelhead rod and use my spinning outfit for pinks.  Feel free to suggest models, brands of casting rods for steelhead/coho :)

What is your budget?
G.Loomis GL3 is an awesome rod in the $400 range.
Brian Babcock will be selling Sage 2106 rods this summer(??) - likely more $$$ than Loomis.
Lots of guys use Fenwick, Lamiglas or Berkeley rods that can be a lot cheaper.

Animal Chin

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »

I ended up with a St. Croix Avid medium action 8-12 lb, but my second choice would have been the Fenwick HMX (a lot cheaper). I'm quite happy with it, though I've only landed 2 steelhead on it this season.

FreshyPT

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »

Hi noobfisher,
You have many good replies already and several from very qualified folks.
I personally used a light action 6'6" Mitchell 4-12lb rod with 8lb line. I used this at the mouth of the Fraser River with no problems and brought in my fair share of pinks. I also purchased two Diawa ShockD 7' rods of similar performance for several friends wanting to try salmon. They had a hoot. I purchased the Mitchell rod&reel at Walmart for $30 and the Diawa rod&reel from Pacific Angler for about the same price. They cost next to nothing and I kept them in my trunk to fish whenever I could.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.
~ Just Keep Fishing ~