Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whonnock Coho Numbers  (Read 5897 times)

inspate

Whonnock Coho Numbers
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »

Whonnock test fisheries. I notice their has been a very low count of coho this year.Is this just because of net size? Large chum and spring numbers? Bigger net? Or coho late? Any ideas?

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Whonnock Coho Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

How about the obvious ... just fewer coho?  Looks like the algal bloom and warmer ocean water temperatures have impacted a few year classes of salmonids, as was predicted. The Chilliwack River hatchery has far fewer coho at this time than past years, Fraser bound pink numbers over all are drastically down, chinook and especially chum are too early to predict, and steelhead returns (ie hatchery entries in the Wally Hall Memorial derby) will be interesting to follow.

buck

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »

Reduction of juvenile coho released from the hatchery will impact the number of returning adults, especially during years of poor ocean survival.  Juvenile coho releases are down from 1.8 million in the mid nineties to currently 800 K.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »

i have been seeing a lot of small coho (3 to 4 lbs) which might be getting thru the whonnock net, cause i think it is 8 inch! correct me if im wrong !
small size probably leads from poor ocean survival as others have stated !

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:03:47 PM »

since the Whonnock test fishery shuts down well before the Valley coho run starts to hum I wouldn't stress out much about variations one year to the next
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:47:43 PM »

How about the obvious ... just fewer coho?  Looks like the algal bloom and warmer ocean water temperatures have impacted a few year classes of salmonids, as was predicted. The Chilliwack River hatchery has far fewer coho at this time than past years, Fraser bound pink numbers over all are drastically down, chinook and especially chum are too early to predict, and steelhead returns (ie hatchery entries in the Wally Hall Memorial derby) will be interesting to follow.

I think it is fair to say that this year has been exceptional for Chinook at least as far as the latest cycles (last 8 years or so). This may speak to the differing migration routes for these fish as compared to Coho/Pinks/Sockeye.

Byronnn

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:57:54 PM »

Reduction of juvenile coho released from the hatchery will impact the number of returning adults, especially during years of poor ocean survival.  Juvenile coho releases are down from 1.8 million in the mid nineties to currently 800 K.

Why are hatchery releases down? Lack of funding? Lack of volunteers? I can't imagine it's a preferred option.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 05:58:04 AM »

funding is one aspect, the other is the improvement in wild coho numbers. Most studies indicate that hatchery reared fish have a negative effect on wild fish where both occur in the same environment. The fish are better off if hatchery stocks are lowered or even eliminated.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »

funding is one aspect, the other is the improvement in wild coho numbers. Most studies indicate that hatchery reared fish have a negative effect on wild fish where both occur in the same environment. The fish are better off if hatchery stocks are lowered or even eliminated.
Yes this is big stuff especially in Washington where they've closed fishing and the Steelhead Hatchery programs on big rivers like the Skagit.

Here is Bill McMillan an old school fly guy and going through the science...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcomvUmrURI

jeetS

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 08:12:56 PM »

Care to recap what he's saying for the guys who don't have the time at the moment?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 08:57:05 PM »

where hatcheries ramp up smolt production wild and hatchery fish suffer.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »

Yes this is big stuff especially in Washington where they've closed fishing and the Steelhead Hatchery programs on big rivers like the Skagit.

Here is Bill McMillan an old school fly guy and going through the science...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcomvUmrURI

Thanks for sharing. The analysis in this video is a real eye opener. I wonder if similar set of historical and compiled data from the BC hatchery programs exist and is available to public...