Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser  (Read 49757 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Hatchery Coho Tidal Fraser
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »

The Region 2 salmon regulations state retention of hatchery coho is permitted above the #7 bridge to lake.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

One can argue about the closure below that bridge as I doubt IF coho would wander that high into the river, but who knows. Harrison Bay is rearing area of a lot of salmon species. In years past salmon closures have been pegged to the  CPR bridge or Cabin Point. Lately they settle on the #7 bridge.

Best I know there has never been a closure on the Fraser below the Harrison specifically to protect Harrison springs and even when the river was closed to spring retention (which was from around 1960 to the 90s or later) angling for Harrison springs was popular on Fraser Bars below the Harrison confluence, unless salmon fishing was closed for other reasons

Yet again RaplH is waaaaay off topic and out to lunch as to what people are talking about here. Perhaps another excuse to show us all how much knowledge is inside that massive head of yours. I assume the doorways in your house are tripple the size of everyone else. I would think they'd have to be in order to fit your massive head thru. It must be lonely at the top all by yourself.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »

Yet again RaplH is waaaaay off topic and out to lunch as to what people are talking about here. Perhaps another excuse to show us all how much knowledge is inside that massive head of yours. I assume the doorways in your house are tripple the size of everyone else. I would think they'd have to be in order to fit your massive head thru. It must be lonely at the top all by yourself.

::)

Lord your humor is so inept & would embarrass a half wit. BTW I didn't bring up the Harrison and you referred to it in Post #40 to which I responded. Your syntax isn't any better:

The clipped Coho release is used you bring up. That's not stopping people

How about a gibberish to English translation?

The rest of your following post is similarly mangled, filled with mis-information & ignorance.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »

Still doesnt make sense that you have to release hatchery Coho from the Fraser mouth all the way up but can retain once in most Fraser tribs.

Not an expert here but just a thought..  Maybe so that they can make it to the tribs?

Tangles

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »

Fact is hatchery coho closure in Fraser is just one of the many mismanagements of our dear DFO.
Maybe Ralph, who sides with all DFOs phylosophy can try to brake it down for us?
How does it make any sense to C&R hatchery raised franken fish, paid for with our tax dollars? Fish that is strictly intended for a kill fishery and is actually proven detrimental to wild stocks.
I for one intend to partake in the fall Fraser fishery and will bonk every clipped fish I encounter with 0 regrets.

Tangles

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »

Not an expert here but just a thought..  Maybe so that they can make it to the tribs?
Wrong - it shouldn't matter where it's caught. As long as it's government produced fish for the purpose of providing for a sport fishery which we fund exclusively with our tax and license $$$s.  Whether it's caught in the chuck, Fraser or the tribs as long as you keep within your daily limit.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »

Fact is hatchery coho closure in Fraser is just one of the many mismanagements of our dear DFO.

it's a general salmon closure.  Whether I agree or not with this DFO decision is moot. You can stamp your feet, hold your breath or scream at Mommy and Daddy all you want. It is what it is.

Tangles if you do I hope you get caught, charged and lose your fishing tackle.

Many years ago I bar fished the Fraser below Mission. I always enjoyed it and have tried to spend one day or so a year back on a bar. Like all still bait fisheries it has it's downside and I feel good about all the wild coho and trout that will not die this fall because they got gut hooked and released on a Fraser bar. Cutthroat fishing may be just a little better in late fall and winter and a few larger fish around for me.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dubs604

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2018, 04:03:22 PM »

All salmon and not just coho?!?  That's a huge bummer.  I was planning my first non-tidal bar fishing trip for chinook over the Thanksgiving long weekend.   :-\

I expect the knock-on effect of this, as well as the chinook closure on the Harrison River, will be increased pressure on other systems such as the Vedder/Chilliwack. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

If th closure window applies to all sectors it will be well worth it. Guess we just have to wait and see if their will be any fisheries in the Fraser during this closure window

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »

Maybe we should lay bets on how days after Oct 24th there is a commercial gillnet chum salmon clean up in the lower river? 8)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »

Maybe we should lay bets on how days after Oct 24th there is a commercial gillnet chum salmon clean up in the lower river? 8)

I bet pretty fast going after last year's numbers, ugg hopeless, thanks for pointing that out! ouch!

FN1096-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill net - Area E - Areas 29 - Fraser River Chum -Openings - October 24, and October 27, 2017

poper

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

These closures are so stupid,They will be out there netting  and we can’t fish from shore, lol, like who’s comming up with this shot,Really I have bar fished a lot, and getting into a stelhead is rare, this is just dumb.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »

Wrong - it shouldn't matter where it's caught. As long as it's government produced fish for the purpose of providing for a sport fishery which we fund exclusively with our tax and license $$$s.  Whether it's caught in the chuck, Fraser or the tribs as long as you keep within your daily limit.

I agree

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »

Sorry to see the Tidal Fraser closed, but isn't the side effect of this is more fish making into the Stave/Vedder and Harrison?  I only see native fisheries listed so far before the 24th.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »

Sorry to see the Tidal Fraser closed, but isn't the side effect of this is more fish making into the Stave/Vedder and Harrison?  I only see native fisheries listed so far before the 24th.

Yes including Dewdney Slough and Norrish (Suicide) Creek. However it will mean some more anglers and possibly more anglers in smaller systems with lower returns - basically any stream with a community hatchery.

I don't think there is any solid handle on how many coho, chum and cutthroat get taken in the Lower Fraser Bar fishery,