Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in Langley  (Read 5062 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fishing in Langley
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 07:33:35 AM »

The Little Campbell has a run thats similiar timing wise to the Chilliwack River, October, November ,December although it has more restrictions
 I dont believe it was open until later in the period because of low water . It was a good return this year after the rains came .

All streams in MU 2.4 other than the Vedder and Sumas  were closed from July 30th to Sept 15th due to the hot weather and associated high water temperatures and low water; so that included the serpentine, Nicomekl and Salmon River as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »

The Little Campbell has a run thats similiar timing wise to the Chilliwack River, October, November ,December although it has more restrictions
 I dont believe it was open until later in the period because of low water . It was a good return this year after the rains came .

yeah I was more talking about learning the conditions, that cause fish to move though the system. Lots of the small systems only have fish in them after rain events and are very specific in there timing.

they become much easier if you live close to them and can say drop in one per day only if its for 5 mins. You will learn a lot.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 04:13:40 PM »

That's excellent advice, wildmanyeah, for Bearcat or any other angler who is wanting to romance new stream.

Walking along it, fishing it, being observant... during all seasons, before/after a rain, high/low tide... And it really helps (at least is does me!) to keep a journal of all those visits.  Over time your understanding deepens and the puzzle pieces start to fit together.                 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 07:58:34 AM »

yup... I keep thinking the solution to all my problems is to buy a house just a short walk away from some nice little or stream.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »

there are only wild cutthroat in the Salmon, Nicomekl & Serpentine. There has been no hatchery stocking in either of the later 2 for about 30 years. Never for the Salmon which is maintained as an index stream. The cutty stocking in the Campbell was discontinued 3 or 4 years ago. Steelhead numbers in the Nicomekl and Serpentine were historically low and may be all but absent now. There is some enhancement of steelhead in the Campbell.

Cutthroat populations are very cyclical and numbers have been very low the last years. These are delicate populations at all times and don't need to be publicized. Anglers should exercise angling and release measures that maximize the survival of anything they catch.

Do you mean as in don't draw any attention to it   :o    ???    ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:08:19 PM by Lunk Louie »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 10:30:01 PM »

Do you mean as in don't draw any attention to it   :o    ???    ::)

If there were more people who stood up for them and got themselves organized, maybe a little publicity would be helpful? But of course almost no one reads these pages so whatever one says is of littler matter.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 07:56:32 PM by RalphH »

Bearcat

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »

Hey everybody!

Been on the hunt for a cutthroat the last week and I haven’t had any luck yet. Tried a few different rivers and Got into a few whitefish which was a nice surprise. Anyways, I’m determined to catch a cutthroat and I was hoping somebody would be willing to give me a few pointers and areas to look for. I have a spinning rod but also just picked up a 6 wt fly rod. Thanks!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2022, 11:51:08 AM »

In my experience, cutthroat fishing in many local streams picks up tremendously when the weather warms up and last year's salmon eggs start to hatch. The trout come up from the Fraser (or the ocean?) to feed on the eggs and fry. This time of year is essentially dead at my local river, where I'd consider a single fish to be a successful outing. As soon as the weather warms, I'd expect to catch multiple fish per outing in the same spots. The cutthroat will often stick around for 4-6 weeks before heading back to the Fraser/ocean. Trout beads and egg patterns can be fun and productive during that 4-6 week window.

Don't give up yet! This is one of the slowest times of the year to be fishing, but that should change as the weather warms up in the next month or so.