Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying new waders...  (Read 5892 times)

kindalonismo

Buying new waders...
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see some opinions on waders.  I am looking to spend around $200, so I am assuming these would be lower on the end of the scale.

I am leaning towards breathables.  what brands, models would guys recommend. I am in Vancouver, so where you recommend buying them from?

Thanks for the feedback guys  ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Buying new waders...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »

I think a good bang for the buck is the simms freestones, 260$.
The Bigger The Better!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »

i just got new waders from here
http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

i got Redington "CPX" Breathable Waders and matching boots

all said and done it was about 240ish dollars (with shipping and duty).

really really happy with what i got in terms of value, i took a risk ordering it all online and not actually trying it on but it worked out quite well and it was a good deal even with the extra cost on shipping and what not as i was in need of new waders.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »

Redington CPX for $124, and After all my taxes were paid for I got my pair of CPX from reaction for 330$.  :-\ I also heard the redington company is located in the lower mainland. :P Im all for supporting local tackle shops, but come on..... Our dollar is par wit hthe US and they are selling there waders for 200 bucks less. :'(
The Bigger The Better!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

wow thats unbelievable and really sucks for you, how long ago was this? i know the whole "support the local guy thing" but i gotta take care of myself first  :-\

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »

I got them last Christmas, But I brought them back a month ago and got a gift card for them for 330$.
How long did it take them to ship? How much did the waders come to without the boots? how much was shipping?
The Bigger The Better!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »

--I'm sure they have a standard mark up based on what they paid landed cost wholesale. I've seen many times where USA retail is at or below Canadian wholesale.

--Just whining ... but one of the reasons I don't have any hair left.
-

oni_kage

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »

Ebay has amazing deals sometimes. I snagged a pair of Simms g3 for $210USD. Seller said he tried them on once to see if they leaked but they were so new with the tags still on that I am not sure if he even did.

Gutslinger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:29:56 AM »

Redington is not a local company, they are based out of bainbridge island, WA. with most if not all their product being produced overseas. 

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:41:43 AM »

i ordered my CPX from the same above website a few weeks ago. i asked a few questions to the shop first as i was a little hesitant. and there help was great.
shipping took just under 10 business days and all told i think the waders were about $140cnd. they were shipped USPS

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:12:39 AM »

The current CPX wader is being replaced with a newer model with welded seams.  It appears the current model had a bed rep for leaking in short order.  Its doubtful you will be happy with new breathable waders costing $200 if you fish often.  The closest thing I can think of are Simms Freestones for just shy of $300.  Waders are probably one of, if not the most important piece of gear owned by an angler.  Skimp on floats, toques, food, swivels etc, but not waders.

roeman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:15:48 AM »

Milanos for 200 at A&N.
First time trying them but they seem ok..
Are you fishin or catchin

Nuggy

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »

Its doubtful you will be happy with new breathable waders costing $200 if you fish often.  The closest thing I can think of are Simms Freestones for just shy of $300.  Waders are probably one of, if not the most important piece of gear owned by an angler.  Skimp on floats, toques, food, swivels etc, but not waders.

Price or hype doesn`t mean everything Matt. I`ve had a $100 dollar pair of breathables that are still in use after about 4 years of service and they are used as my primary  boat waders now. Boat waders are get far more abuse on the seams as you are constantly getting up and sitting down all day long while fly fishing, aqua seal is a must though. I`ve also had the last discontinued model of Simms Guide waders(when they moved the Guide leg seams to the front even before the G3`s had them there) leak right out of the box :o  I had to move up to the G3`s cause the Guides were discontinued for warranty. The G3`s  were nice but spendy$$$ waders but I got tired of fighting with my waders at the end of the day because the calf area is very narrow. I sold them and moved on.

Latest waders are Dan Bailey Lightweights scored for $180 usd all in and shipped to Washington State. I took my money on the Simms G3`s I sold and the money I saved on $300-$400 waders and bought another fly rod that I will have for life hopefully. Breathable waders are a crapshoot and my philosophy now is to go a bit cheaper, get a good warranty(like Bailey`s) and carry some aquaseal....spend savings on new fly rods, reels or lines ;)  BTW, if you haven`t already check out the reviews of the Bailey Lightweights....I would say for under $200,$300$400, they are the best bang for your buck....granted I haven`t thoroughly put the Bailey`s through the gears if anything goes wrong I`ll fall back on the warranty for now.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:41:55 AM by Nuggy »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »

Berrys has Simms Blackfoot waders for $189.99

http://www.berrysbait.com/products.aspx?cat=232&man=121

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »

I'm not out there fishing to win a fashion show so i will stick with a cost effective method that suits me just fine. It's like all those "hardcore hikers" where arctery'x and other expensive bs, clearly because your gear is expensive you must be elite at everything you do.

as the old saying goes, if you take care of them they will last forever