Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is better if you are targeting chinook on the vedder?

Roe
- 36 (85.7%)
Colorado Blade
- 5 (11.9%)
Jig
- 1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: ROE VS COLORADO BLADE VS JIG  (Read 6771 times)

4TheKids

Re: ROE VS COLORADO BLADE VS JIG
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »

The arguement I have herad is that the bait ban is to protect the very very few steelhead. If you can identify a steelhead and release it correctly then it should be ok. The real problem is foul hooking a fish. This is usually lethal to a fish. Rather than "bait ban" the message should be "protect the steelhead". Regardless, I find roe messy and expensive (I don't bother to cure my own).

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »

I've done well on roe and jigs about the same, for whatever reason I don't do as well on spinners like the colorado or a blue fox or a french, maybe my read on the waters to fish them is poor...

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: 4TheKids on October 02, 2010, 10:50:15 PM
On the cap, a few days ago, the guy beside me hooked into 13+ and landed 11. At one point it was three casts, three landed fish. I have never seen anything like that. It can happen when the bite is really on.  

I agree, I have done that myself, 3/4 cast...3/4 landed...but I've never seen someone packing out 10 fish.

This is making me feel ill.

I want this gorgeous system to still be here when someday, my grandkids can enjoy it

I can't find someone was packing 10 fish out in the following post.
I've had multiple fish days where I didn't kill one.
If they were poaching I would hope rib would have made a call .

Back on topic, Every lure has it's place some times a lure will will incite more more aggression than roe but the scent factor in roe gives it the edge IMO that being said sometimes you have to be prepared to change up.

Posted by: ribolovac02  
Insert Quote
Hey Mirak,i can give you a prime example from the other day fishing the cap,i used artificials,spinners,jigs,all day with five other guys fishing the same pool all of them fishing roe,all day i had two fish the guys that fished bait had between 7 and 10 fish each,so i would go with roe where ever i go,exept in steelhead season,too cold to get your hands wet all the time LOL
Sorry for the double wording Won't let me edit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:21:53 AM by Fish or cut bait. »

one more cast

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »

I can't find someone was packing 10 fish out in the following post.
I've had multiple fish days where I didn't kill one.
If they were poaching I would hope rib would have made a call .

It was said that they were using roe ( not legal right now) I just assumed that because of using roe that they wanted to slay fish and take them home.
That's my take on it.

ribolovac02

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »

5 other guys had between 7 and 10 fish each???...I'm not buying it...all my years fishing the cap I've never seen any group of fishermen walk out with that many fish, never mind an single person with 10 fish.
I think you misunderstood what i said,these guys have only killed I think like three fish in total if i can rember right,all the rest where safly released,fishing from first light to last in the peak of salmon season it is very easy to hook 7-10 fish on bait.
I dont know if yo have fished the cap when the water was up,but if you didn't,there was a LOT of fish moving through,and fishing WAS great.

As far as the bait ban goes,i would say from what I seen there, at least 75% of people were using bait,if you ask me a bait ban on that system only entices people to fish unethically(floss,snag)I'm totally against it.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »

How this got sidetracked to talking about the Capilano River but in any case, the bait ban is from August 1st thru to Oct. 31st. So if you use bait during that time you are breaking the law.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »

I hooked into like 10 springs today on a spinner. Also got a coho on that same spinner.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

4TheKids

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:23 AM »

@bbronswyk2000 what river?