Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study  (Read 77911 times)

noxcape

Re: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »

OK this may sound dumb but the radio transmitters they are puttin in the fish can they help with poachers also you know like if the fish leave the water illegally not sure who to prove it but could they use the transmitter to find out where it is i know its probably a dumb question but i was just wondering that as i was reading the article thanks guys and don't laugh at me to much lol

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »

Gaffer he even said in that news article about us catching 63 fish that day u sure u where ?

Gaffer

« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »

So the DFO and this organization called the Fraser Basin Council have started testing under the name Fraser Salmon and  Watershed  Program. They also look at flood control measures with no consideration of what that does to fish habitat. Kudo's to them that use deception with Government money and oranizational names that confuse and uninform people as to the real intent. It usually works.

Some info from Fraser Basin Council

http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/programs/basin_wide.html

There non-biased hand picked lineup

[color=yellow]Of the 36 Directors, 22 are appointed by the four orders of government: three by the federal government, three by the provincial government, one by each of the eight regional districts in the Basin, and one by each of the Basin's eight First Nations language groups. The remaining 14 Directors are non-governmental representatives appointed by the FBC. These 14 include two representatives from each of the Basin's five geographic regions, one Basin-wide representative for each of the three dimensions of sustainability (economic, social and environmental), and an impartial Chair.[/color]

Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal Partnerships
One of the unique features of FBC is that First Nations are original signatories to the Charter for Sustainability and have participated fully in the FBC Board and its activities since FBC was established in 1997.

FBC is working to identify ways that it can more effectively apply Principle 11 of the Charter, which states: "We recognize that aboriginal nations within the Fraser Basin assert aboriginal rights and title. These rights and title now being defined must be acknowledged and reconciled in a just and fair manner."

To this end, FBC is working with First Nations Board members and its New Relationship Committee to:

Interpret the meaning of Principle 11 and its relevance to sustainability.
Explore ways that FBC can better demonstrate application of Principle 11 in its current and future activities.
Develop a reference document that constructively and objectively summarizes First Nations history in the Basin, relevant court decisions, current challenges and opportunities for applying Principle 11, and key lessons drawn from FBC's experience on improving cooperation between aboriginal and non-aboriginal people in the Fraser Basin.
For more information, contact:

Ernie Victor
Manager, Aboriginal Community Liaison
Tel: 604-997-9907
Email: evictor@fraserbasin.bc.ca

↑ Top

↑ Top ↑

↑ Top

Idle Free BC
Idle Free BC builds awareness among fleet managers and operators and the general public about the economic, environmental and health costs of idling, and encourages idling reduction programs. For upcoming workshops, visit the Idle Free BC website.

↑ Top ↑

Hybrid Experience Report: Online at www.hybridexperience.ca, the report documents the real-life experiences and fuel efficiency results of fleets that use hybrid vehicles. Simply put, a hybrid is a vehicle with an internal combustion engine and electric motor, powered by a large rechargeable battery. The Hybrid Experience website is unique in Canada, and has attracted national attention. It is a valuable resource for fleet managers, businesses and individuals contemplating hybrids.

Green Fleets Network: Sharing best practices is key to success, and Green Fleets BC is sponsoring a new network of fleet managers for just that reason.

Canada's Green Fuels Map: Interested in finding alternative fuels? Check out Canada's Green Fuels Map for an online lookup of both retail and key-lock stations, coast to coast.
Visit www.greenfleets.ca or contact Program Managers Jim Vanderwal or Terry Robert for more information.

↑ Top ↑

E3 Fleet Program
Designed by fleet managers for fleet managers, E3 Fleet is a new program to provide services and resources to help Canadian private and public sector fleets increase fuel efficiency, reduce emissions, manage expenses, incorporate new technologies and use alternative fuels. Launched in November, 2006, E3 Fleet has 16 charter member fleets committed to the program.

Pricing incentives were introduced in the fall of 2007 to encourage membership in the E3 Fleet program and amount to cost savings of 50%. For details, visit the E3 Fleet website or contact Program Manager Jim Vanderwal at jvanderwal@fraserbasin.bc.ca.

Through E3 Fleet membership, managers gain access to a new data analysis tool – Fleet Review – which generates exclusive reports and recommendations for reducing fuel, operating and capital costs as well as emissions for each fleet. The program will also offer the first green-rating system for vehicle fleets in North America. The rating system consists of four components:  a Green Rating Guide, a points system for assessing each fleet, a third-party fleet audit and an ultimate rating at the Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum level.

The FBC is pleased to spearhead the program launch of E3 Fleet, thanks to funding from Western Economic Diversification Canada and BC Ministry of Environment.

↑ Top ↑

Community Action on Energy and Emissions
 Energy Efficiency and Buildings: A Resource for BC's Local Governments is now available online [PDF: 3.1 MB].

The Community Action on Energy and Emissions (CAEE) initiative provides financial and research support to BC local governments to advance energy efficiency through local government policy and planning tools. This initiative was previously called "Community Action on Energy Efficiency," but has been broadened to deal with renewable energy and sustainable transportation.

The CAEE is a key element of the Province's new Energy Plan 2007 and a cornerstone of the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources' strategy document Energy Efficiency in Buildings: A Plan for BC, which outlines targets for new and existing residential, commercial, institutional and industrial buildings, to be reached by 2010.

The Fraser Basin Council provides overall program administration for this initiative, with funding support from BC Ministry of Energy and Mines, BC Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Canada, Vancity, Real Estate Foundation, BC Hydro and Terasen Gas.

For more information, visit the CAEE initiative page on the BC Climate Exchange website.

↑ Top

Flood Hazard Management
The Fraser Basin Council has worked for many years with government authorities advancing flood hazard management for the communities along the Fraser. For details, please see Flood Hazard Management.

Fraser Salmon and Watersheds
A new program is underway in the Fraser Basin to build a better future for fish and fisheries in the Fraser Basin through inclusive, collaborative partnerships.

The Fraser Salmon and Watersheds Program (FSWP) is a multi-year initiative to conserve and restore the diversity and abundance of salmon within the Fraser Basin.  The FSWP began in 2007, with a contribution of $10 million over four years from the provincial Living Rivers Trust Fund and a further commitment of $10 million ($5M cash and $5M in-kind, over five years) from Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 

The Fraser Salmon and Watersheds Program is jointly managed by the Fraser Basin Council (FBC) and the Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF).  A Steering Committee, with representatives from federal, provincial, and Aboriginal governments, as well as the two co-managing organizations and others, provides oversight to the program.  Funding is administered through the Pacific Salmon Foundation.

The Fraser Salmon and Watershed Program is built on a vision: To inspire changes in human behaviour to the benefit of salmonids and the watersheds they depend on.

Mr.Troutbreath--- Today @ the Grassy Bar your tax money was earning interest---- 21 rods caught 10( as of noon -I left early)which makes a grand total of Sockeye caught in 2 years of a 3 yr study almost 300 fish-- 2 have died after 24 hrs from hook caused injuries 1 from a previous seal bite So so far we,ve almost proved conclusively - Scientifically- what we,ve said all along------ less than 1% mortality from hools -- I'd say that's a pretty good bang for the tax/Fraser Basin Council Buck--- Wouldn't you ?-- Tight lines

Gaffer

« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »

Have uploaded the first 2 video's I shot of the study. I hope you find some of it educational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KJ3SiBgY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSHaeSfbSTc

A couple more to come later.
Chris on clip 63 were those Jack Springs the fella moved out of the way so Alex could net the Sockeye?--- Tight lines

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »

Chris on clip 63 were those Jack Springs the fella moved out of the way so Alex could net the Sockeye?--- Tight lines
I believe they were jacks and pinks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2009, 04:02:06 AM »

From Frank

We are now catching almost zero sockeye at the study.  Even the beach seine which ran today during six sets only caught one.  However the beach seine is getting about 100 pinks per set.

We have way to many volunteers now and can't really handle the crowd.  Studies last day is tomorrow, Friday.

Our mortality should come in at less than 2% baring some freaky incident.

For those of you who helped, thanks.  No need to come tomorrow.

Will send you the numbers when I get them.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2009, 10:14:25 AM »

Id ike to see the results of the tagging program to get a real feel for mortality rates.
Those fish have a lot further to go than Grassy bar ;).

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »

Id ike to see the results of the tagging program to get a real feel for mortality rates.
Those fish have a lot further to go than Grassy bar ;).

Are you a scientist?

I understand they already have some scientists studying the results.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Gaffer

« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »

Gaffer he even said in that news article about us catching 63 fish that day u sure u where ?
According to the Guy running the show-- WEDNESDAY 63 fish caught -- 38 on TUES -- yup I know where uwuz not

Gaffer

« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »

The 2nd year of a three year study into the Sockeye catch & release hook mortality study has now been completed. The Raw Data (not yet official) shows In wk # 1--106 sockeye were caught & after 24 hrs released from the holding pen -- 2 mortalities------ In wk # 2-- :) 155 caught --- 3 mortalities , In wk # 3-- 34 caught -- O(zero) mortalities TOTAL for 2009 = 295 caught-- 5 mort or 1.7% of total catch combined with 173 caught last year and 1 hook mortality& 1 Seal bit mortality (2) Means ----468 sockeye caught with 6 dead = --1.28% for both years. Even with the DFO estimated  total catch & release of Fraser River Sockeye Aug 1 to Aug 16  count of 12,800 fish during the Chinook Sport Fishery, That still works out to 164 fish or 1.28% ! Sure doesn't look to Me  like we, the sports fishers , are decimating the Sockeye fishery in the Fraser. Wonder what the next scapegoat for DFO will be ?-- Cheers --Tight lines/sharp hooks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:21:41 PM by Gaffer »

poncho

« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »

Interesting report.

buck

« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »

Gaffer

Although short term mortalities  tend to show that the angling community is having very little impact on the resource that may not be the case. One of the major causes of mortalities is the removal of the protective slim coating on the fish. Fungus related problems would not show up after 24 hours. However, after 5 -10 days depending on water temperatures you could see real problems.

One of the potential problems with the sockeye fishery as I see it is the catch and release of these fish.  There should be no catch and release and once you have caught your 2 fish you should be finished for the day.

It really annoys me when anglers come up to me and tell me that they have caught and released 30 sockeye. Big deal, its not as if they are biting. If there are delayed mortalities related to catch and release you can see how this would affect stocks.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »

One of the potential problems with the sockeye fishery as I see it is the catch and release of these fish.  There should be no catch and release and once you have caught your 2 fish you should be finished for the day.

It really annoys me when anglers come up to me and tell me that they have caught and released 30 sockeye. Big deal, its not as if they are biting. If there are delayed mortalities related to catch and release you can see how this would affect stocks.

I agree with this since when they are open they are in thick so the impact is larger.  They should make a rule that you must retain the first 2 sockeye caught and then stop fishing.  If you catch a spring before then great if not try again next time or when they close socs.  If someone really wanted to keep fishing they could try another system for something other than sockeye or target sturgeon (esp. for the guides since their clients would want to keep fishing for the dollars they spent.)  From my experience most people will take their 2 and go home but some stay to try and get a spring.  I think this rule is reasonable becuase the sockeye are only open for a short time anyways so there is lots of opportunities to get a spring. 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

Buck's comment that would apply to all fish not just sockeye. 
Good thing sockeye isn't biting. Otherwise the mortality rate would be higher.

Gaffer

« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

Gaffer

Although short term mortalities  tend to show that the angling community is having very little impact on the resource that may not be the case. One of the major causes of mortalities is the removal of the protective slim coating on the fish. Fungus related problems would not show up after 24 hours. However, after 5 -10 days depending on water temperatures you could see real problems.

[/as you say Buck"If there are mortalities after release " -- the fish in the study were netted using  the usual techniques , Not handled with bare hands etc, etc and perhaps some lost some slime but I am assured by Scientists , using Scientific knowledge & training that they (the Sockeye) in the  course of migrating lose slime AND contract various fungii in the natural course of things--- Remember from the time the salmonids enter fresh water in their homeward migration they are dying---it's irreversible Except for some of the anadromous (seagoing types like Mykiss, and Clarkii ) ---- Tight lines /sharp hooks