Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Black wool  (Read 2812 times)

fullahead

Black wool
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:03:28 AM »

Using Black wool for float fishing? A fellow at work was telling me he uses black wool, for Coho fishing on the Chehalis River, manly in the dark water. I was wondering, using black wool for springs or steelhead, in the Vedder River, how many guys use it. What color combinations, with black wool, do you find works well for you? What size wool do you use? I would think someone reading this would appreciate a picture from an experienced angular, his wool flies. Any information would be appreciated.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: Black wool
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:21:16 AM »

Black with red on top use to be a deadly combination fishing for Springs @ the Vedder River. Somehow, the last couple years, it has not been working well for me.

Educated fish maybe???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:39:28 AM »

I think the critical point is "mainly in dark water". 

When snorkelling in the cap on a few occasions the water was murky.  In dirty or murky water all the silt diffuses light, looking up at the surface from the bottom, things were not dark, infact they were relatively bright. 

A black lure/wool/fly will absorb any light that hits it and thus cause a void in this silty water - fish react to that. Hence I have been advsied by several top rods thatwhen in dirty water go dark.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:59:39 AM »

;D you got that right dark or dirty water black or dark blue works well. also you might want to try using a small tuff of red with the black works like a charm in the vedder. ;) ;)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 10:55:30 AM »

I have found black and green to be a deadly combo for springs and sockeye. I even had a sockeye bite mine on the retrieve. I cut mine the length of the shank. white/pink, White/peach or just peach is good for coho

fullahead

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 08:10:02 AM »

Thanks for the Black wool response.
Thanks fellows for the information. That’s what I find interesting about the sport there is always something new to learn.
 :o