Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Howe Sound fishing spots  (Read 8584 times)

Double Underhooks

Howe Sound fishing spots
« on: May 20, 2005, 12:36:49 PM »

Has anyone fished along the shoreline from Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay? (closer to Horeshoe Bay side)

I took a boat out there a few times last summer and noticed some people fishing off the rocks on the shoreline. I walked along the train tracks that run parallel to the Sea to Sky Highway but did not see any trails leading down to the water.

I don't think those people hiked down the slope because its really rugged and they were an older couple (Don't think they were dropped off by a boat either b/c theres too many rocks around there).

Seemed like a great place to fish ...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Howe Sound fishing spots
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »

Just past Lions Bay there used to be pullout where you can hike down to the railway tracks and then down to the shore. Used to be very good for bottom fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »

If you are fishing Howe Sound, keep in mind there are areas marked by boundaries that are totally or seasonally closed to fishing. The information of closures can be found in Area 28 section of the Sportfishing Regulation Guide. Daily quota for rockfish is one, for lingcod is zero, for perch is eight.

While rereading over the regulations before posting this, I found it was rediculously difficult for me to find the quota table for finfish other than salmon. It took me forever and I go through these sites regularly for web maintenance! I am baffled by the fact that there isn't a link in the side menu bar for quota table. Does anyone else find this hard or is it just me? I'll be sending my concerns in to the individual who is responsible for the maintenance of that site.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 03:19:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll probably be heading out there in two weeks (not sure if I'll rent a boat or shore fish), I'll post how it went.

Thanks for the info Rod, I looked at the regulations and you're right, the site is not very intuitive (I find most government sites are not navigationally friendly at all).

tyee slayer

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 04:32:09 PM »

trust me, you will want to fish from a boat. In 3 years fishing around howe sound....never caught a thing from shore
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 10:14:05 PM »

trust me, you will want to fish from a boat. In 3 years fishing around howe sound....never caught a thing from shore
Yippers!
Ain't nothin' to be caught from shore there at all.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 09:00:16 AM »

It's called hole-in-the-wall

tyee slayer

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 10:13:53 AM »

i never knew you could fish off the shore at hole in the wall.....
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 11:50:08 AM »

i never knew you could fish off the shore at hole in the wall.....

You cannot

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »

I  said hole- in- the -wall so that he would Know what reports are relevant to the area. You can fish from shore have a good cast   ;D

tyee slayer

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »

lol oops ::)