Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: boating permit  (Read 5819 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
boating permit
« on: May 19, 2005, 09:28:41 PM »

hey guys i am thinking of buying a little car topper for the summer and the fall... Just wondering if your guy know if i need that boater card.  Also if so do you know if i can write the exam online.  Is it hard to get? 
see ya on the river

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: boating permit
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:46:10 PM »

I heard on the news that the federal government is going to make boater card mandatory in the next few years.

roeman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 10:01:14 PM »

It is pretty basic, the hardest question on the test was " what is starboard and portside" and I still get that messed up
Are you fishin or catchin

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 10:10:57 PM »

At the moment, I think that the law is somethign like if your boat is under a certain length (15 ft ?), and under 10 hp, the  you don't need a licence, but if your boat is over either of those measurements, then yes you do need the licence, although it is nice to have in case you end up in a bigger boat.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:50:27 AM »

If you have done any boating at all the test is easy and you can get a booklet through the coast guard which gives all the stuff you need to know. Its not hard to Carry the permit and if you are renting a boat you don't have to go through the presentation they are required to give if you don't have the card . You're going to have it eventuality so why not go for it now and when the last minute push comes you can sit back and laugh at those who procrastinated ..

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:48:51 AM »

The PLEASURE CRAFT OPERATOR CARD is now required for:
    a. motorized watercraft  under 4 m. (note the word "motorized)
    b. boaters born after April 1, 1983.
This Pleasure Craft Operator card will be required by all boaters by Sept. 15, 2009
There are a variety of ways of obtaining the card and, of course, there is controversy regarding the methods used by some organizations offering the credential. The government is making noises about tightening up the issuing regulations. More bureacracy !

There are 36 multiple choice questions with a 45 minute time limit. 75 % (27 right answers) is required for a pass.

The cost of obtaining the card varies. I've seen it at $20 and as high as $40.

The program is accredited by the Canadian Coast Guard. The Operator Card is good for life but I'm not sure if it's the life of the boat or the life of the operator. ;D

The real question: "Is all this really worthwhile?"
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 11:44:49 AM »

Of course I am for boat safety on the water but I feel this is another government tax grab. The big question is will the government have the resources and people to enforce it?
They have certainly failed badly in enforcing the Fisheries Act partly because of a lack of officers on the water. To add to this we now hear more cuts are happening in the FOC budget which includes less officers.

No use making laws if you are not going to enforce them which you cannot do without the people or the funds to do so. I was amazed recently when I heard no record of who has been issued permits have been kept by the government department in charge of these pleasure craft operators cards. What now happens if you lose your card and there is no record if you even took and passed the test. Would you have to retake it at another additional cost to you?

I believe this all started as the results of the careless use of ski-doo watercrafts, especially by youngsters.

I personally will wait until 2009 when I have to get a permit to operate the Leaf Craft that is over 4 metres long. I will gather interest on my $40 until then. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 11:53:39 AM »

Of course I am for boat safety on the water but I feel this is another government tax grab. The big question is will the government have the resources and people to enforce it?
They have certainly failed badly in enforcing the Fisheries Act partly because of a lack of officers on the water. To add to this we now hear more cuts are happening in the FOC budget which includes less officers.

No use making laws if you are not going to enforce them which you cannot do without the people or the funds to do so. I was amazed recently when I heard no record of who has been issued permits have been kept by the government department in charge of these pleasure craft operators cards. What now happens if you lose your card and there is no record if you even took and passed the test. Would you have to retake it at another additional cost to you?

I believe this all started as the results of the careless use of ski-doo watercrafts, especially by youngsters.

I personally will wait until 2009 when I have to get a permit to operate the Leaf Craft that is over 4 metres long. I will gather interest on my $40 until then. ;D ;D

Agree. BTW the Leaf Craft is not a watercraft any more than the Leafs is a hockey team ! ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 03:33:40 PM »

Agree. BTW the Leaf Craft is not a watercraft any more than the Leafs is a hockey team ! ;D
Trying to get even for my remark about your imaginary road from Ucluelet to Bamfield? ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 03:47:05 PM »

Love picking on the Make Me Laughs  ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 04:41:59 PM »

Port is left starboard is right. As for Bouys, Red is always on your right when returning!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 10:45:15 PM »

Fact of the matter is..that pleasure craft operators card isn't going to save your life.

Fact is, there is no enforcement of laws/regulations that already exist anyways.

FACT IS IF THE IDIOTS RUNNING THE BOATS AND THE PASSENGERS HAVE NO COMMON SENSE, THEY THEMSELVES DESERVE TO DIE.  Sound harsh? YES IT IS...but is REALITY.

Take it from me folks, having engaged in 2 search and rescues turned "recovery" of people that lacked the brains enough to act prudently,  the fact of the matter is, common sense would have saved lives...simple as that.

Simply put, does anyone remember the Cap Rouge tragedy? Guess what...Coast Guard couldn't save their lives.

Quite simply, the whole program they are trying to implement was designed by a bunch of bureaucrats and NOT those that really can make a difference.

Write some damn tickets, enforce existing regulations. Launch a publicity campaign...teach people how to put on a PFD, listen to a weather forecast, file an itinerary, navigate a boat, drive a boat.

I don't need the government to tell me how to save lives, I know how to save lives, and the first thing people need to know is...how to save themselves. Nuff said.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 10:47:56 PM »

OH..one more thing...ask anyone who has pulled a body or two from the water and ask them if a pleasure craft operator card would have saved their life...and I doubt the pleasure craft operator card or course would come out of their mouths..never heard it yet..and I have talked to dozens of Coast Guard and RCMP buddies.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 11:09:27 PM »

Quote:

"Simply put, does anyone remember the Cap Rouge tragedy? Guess what...Coast Guard couldn't save their lives."

If I recall correctly, there was a policy in place at the time preventing the divers to go in.

I agree that a pleasure craft operators card is not going to save any lives any more than a driver's licence is going to save lives.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 11:15:40 PM »

Yup...another beaucrat's or bean counters decision.

The coast guard never admitted to that, but did admit that that policy could have affected an alternate outcome of the incident.