Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What age did you introduce your son or daughter to fishing?  (Read 4910 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: What age did you introduce your son or daughter to fishing?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »

If by "introduce" you mean a picture of him screaming his head off while I am holding him on the beach with my rod and waders, then about 4-5 weeks old. He enjoys it more now though.  :D

Verdi

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »

my daughter started at 3 years old pike minnow fishing.

tips for kids.
Lots of snacks, and candy..If you are in a boat watch out for a sore stomach from all the junk food, mixed with a little sea-sickness
Hot chocolate, bring little marshmallows.
Portable dvd, or vidio games if you want to stay out longer.
make a fire and roast hot dogs, if you have time on fraser bars..or just a fire they like collecting wood and burning stuff.

and when they are bored and want to go home, go you want them to enjoy the day and hey you got to go fishing with your kids..

coho13

• fish forever and forever fish
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »

if they are like me they will never get bord of it but its always a good idea to keep some extra toys or somthing around :)

Sandhead

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »

3 months old and my boy was sleeping in the boat in his crib while the wife and I fished for sturgeon...
1.5 we started "swimming lessons"
2 years old and he was floating in his life jacket at plumper cove  and very curious about the contents of the  crab trap.
2 years old he was allowed while wearing a life jacket to sit with daddy on the swim grid and practice kicking...
3 years old and we are shopping for a spin casting rod..
He's had his salmon stamp on his salt water license since he was 1 year old  8)
Ain't no HO like a COHO

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »

My dad took me fishing when i was 5 years old to a resort called tee pee lakes. We made it an annual trip for many years and still love to go fishing there. Some of my best fishing memories!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »

Got into fishing at around 10 years old. Dad took the whole family to floss and fill the freezer with sockeye, after catching my first sockeye I was hooked for life.
The Bigger The Better!

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »

My son was 4  when I got him started. He was 5 when started paying a little more att. (less wandering around exploring rocks and such) That was when he caught his first fish (bullhead) after that his intrest took hold. When he became a young adult he introduced me to fly fishing. Its been a lot of fun.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

Butch1949

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

Started my son off when he was 4 years old, he has outfished me since then quite often, now at the age of 15 I have no problem tearing him away from the electronics with just these few words....Want to go fishing ?.......best thing I ever did was get him out fishing!!!!!, can't wait myself to be out with him again, we were out last weekend and thankfully I outfished him, or I would never have heard the end of it-lol
"I don't catch fish"

phogan

• and wave them like you just dont care.
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

My boy will be 4 this summer and he will have his first official fishing trip on a warm sunny day in August trying for Fraser Pinks with his mom there as well as an extra set of eyes and definitely a life jacket.

I would like to tether him to a log, add a gps tracking device to him, have a search and rescue team waiting on call, and maybe a spy satellite watching his every move.

We tried once last summer but with the sharp hooks, the dead seal we found, and the glass and other crap on the beaches it didn't feel safe to me.

my boy is 4 now too.  and i am totally going to tether him to a log.  i take him to the hope slough, he loves it there.
----------------------------------------------------------
you can never get enough.