Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whip Tricks  (Read 5126 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Whip Tricks
« on: November 07, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

VictorBai

Re: Whip Tricks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »

I just sent an email to DFO to report this and then immediately saw your post.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 08:42:34 PM »

I just sent an email to DFO to report this and then immediately saw your post.

meh, I don't see a reason to report it to DFO, like they're not aware of hundreds of people doing this... I don't want anybody sending hate to this guy either. The only problem I have is when foul hooked fish are kept/bad handling. Other than that not everybody believes in the same ideas or fish for the same reason. As long as the law is being followed then it's nobody's place to judge. I just found how happy this guy seemed to be while doing his "whip tricks" quite amusing and thought it was worth sharing.

VictorBai

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 09:03:58 PM »

meh, I don't see a reason to report it to DFO, like they're not aware of hundreds of people doing this... I don't want anybody sending hate to this guy either. The only problem I have is when foul hooked fish are kept/bad handling. Other than that not everybody believes in the same ideas or fish for the same reason. As long as the law is being followed then it's nobody's place to judge. I just found how happy this guy seemed to be while doing his "whip tricks" quite amusing and thought it was worth sharing.

I see your point. Illegal and unethnical are different. Based on the fact he is proudly preaching this method on YouTube I would tend to believe he doesn't know foul hooked fish cannot be kept and he genuinely believed he found an effecient way fishing and would like to help the others.

The reason I decided to report to DFO was that I saw a fresh penetration wound on the fish's body. That makes me wonder how the fish was pulled up. If the hook was in the mouth then I won't say anything. Another reason was that I think these YouTube videos shouldn't be published. People snagging on Capilano River would be seen by a few other anglers who already know snagging is illegal. They won't set a example. But a video on YouTube could be very misleading and easily viewed by hundreds and thousands. Maybe one or two of the new anglers saw this video before watching Rod's channel and figured this is awesome and started doing the same thing.

The last but not the least, maybe DFO won't do anything like you said. But it bothers me if I choose to do nothing, either. It is so unfair if we just let them having their way without any costs.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 09:47:26 PM »

The persistent whipping is quite exhausting. they'd better choose a lighter rod and reel.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 11:05:29 PM »

The persistent whipping is quite exhausting.

Exactly. 🤣 Not just physically exhausting, but mentally exhausting. You'd have to pay me to stand there to repeat that 10 second motion 1000 per day.

jackster

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 04:16:57 AM »

"Other than that not everybody believes in the same ideas or fish for the same reason. As long as the law is being followed then it's nobody's place to judge."
If it's wrong it's wrong.
Victorbai you did the right thing.
Rodney pls delete this thread. There are enough snaggers out there already, we don't need more.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 06:50:54 AM »

I saw this technique used last fall. I didn’t realize the technique had an actual name. Looks boring.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 07:14:46 AM »

I saw this technique used last fall. I didn’t realize the technique had an actual name. Looks boring.

I think it's just called pocket flossing

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 07:47:15 AM »

Definitely flossing. The guy I saw last year was doing exactly the same way as in that video. Repeating short casts, if you can call that casting ?

roeman

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 06:06:51 PM »

The fishing stores love this because of all the gear that is lost at broken rods.  Plus it keeps all these people in one spot. 
The other solution would be to close Tamahi rapids to all fishing.  Problem solved. 
Are you fishin or catchin

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »

I saw a similar scene today at Stave in the pool behind the toilet bowl this afternoon. Most of them had floats but they all seemed to be trying to line whatever poor fish there may have been. I saw no fish caught or kept in sight despite the slew of cars parked on the road indicating early starts for at least some of them. I also saw this last year on the Alouette, no float, long leader and I could not tell what was on the small hook, but the fisherman caught or lined a coho on his first cast in water I had worked by casting and slowly lifting his terminal tackle. And a few other fish fell to this method that week for him. It looked better than some jig twitchers Ive seen this year Yarding their rod like a lunatic. Really it just reminds me of scale bar back in the day, the fish are not biting, the fishermen may be rookies, but its a fish with a hook in its mouth~

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 12:18:34 AM »

The fishing stores love this because of all the gear that is lost at broken rods.  Plus it keeps all these people in one spot. 
The other solution would be to close Tamahi rapids to all fishing.  Problem solved.

Are you kidding?!?
And have all those beaks spread around into the few non-popularized, yet still reasonably productive spots left in the upper river?! Please NOOO!
I hope Tamihi rapids remains the high water level beak zone of choice. I say let them floss there and hope that from time to time, COs pay them a visit to check for barbed hooks and other violations.
Those willing to evolve as anglers will do so eventually. Those who won't...well...you can't fix stupid.

avid angler

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »

Yeah because we haven’t lost enough water to fish in the last 20 years…. Not to mention there’s lots of productive places to fish properly in Tamihi. Let’s condense everyone into an even smaller portion of river 🙄 Moving the problem and fixing the problem are two very different things.

koko

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 07:46:34 PM »

this guy did it all wrong, should be using a fly rod with a seven foot tc14 tip, wait five second and whip away. 8)