Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Is The Go To Tackle/bait For Summer Chinook On The Vedder?  (Read 3808 times)

Archer

I am going to try my luck on Friday. I usually start at peach, then move about.  I am new to summer on the Vedder, just fished winter steel in the past...never caught any. Can I use my steel tackle to target Nooks? IE: Gooey Bob's, pink worms, Colorado blades, Croc spoons and red wool?  I read fresh roe or roe sacks are the #1, or shrimp on a jig, though more likely to intice a Sockeye? Thoughts on tackle?  THANKS!

Archer

Re: What Is The Go To Tackle/bait For Summer Chinook On The Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:54:40 PM »

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I can keep up to 2 Chinook so long as over 62cm and it can be wild or hatchery.  I hear the nook count is disappointingly low.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:00:51 PM »

The 2 best baits for summer reds on the Vedder are:
1 the right place.
2 the right time.
I've been using bugs because I have time to get them and my kids love picking them up off the sand.
Roe prawns jigs blades wool it all works.

Archer

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »

Thanks Noah's Arc.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »

My go-to bait for the early Springs was a small pinkie nail size tuft of peach wool. That was my best producer. Then the dark colours like purple, black , red , burgundy, and green. Black wooly bugger for the fly or deli shrimp or prawn if you want to drift meat.

I'm not convinced it matters what you use just as long as you get it in its face enough to piss the fish off and it snaps at it. I didn't find it practical to throw hardware for them - cheaper to throw wool.

Archer

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »

My go-to bait for the early Springs was a small pinkie nail size tuft of peach wool. That was my best producer. Then the dark colours like purple, black , red , burgundy, and green. Black wooly bugger for the fly or deli shrimp or prawn if you want to drift meat.

I'm not convinced it matters what you use just as long as you get it in its face enough to piss the fish off and it snaps at it. I didn't find it practical to throw hardware for them - cheaper to throw wool.

Thanks everyone. I'll pick up some shrimp, and use my steely gear too. All about timing right!

I always walk away from the Vedder empty handed, but never disappointed.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 03:02:37 PM »

Do people actually catch springs on shrimp regularly? I always see people using shrimp and only catch sockeye, then when someone switches to roe they hook springs. Is it just a mentality that vedder reds like prawns or a fact?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »

Do people actually catch springs on shrimp regularly? I always see people using shrimp and only catch sockeye, then when someone switches to roe they hook springs. Is it just a mentality that vedder reds like prawns or a fact?

I've personally never seen a Chinook on the Vedder caught on a prawn (red summer Chinook anyway), and have never hit one on a prawn myself.

As you've said, first cast with roe normally is the ticket after trying other things. I've seen the odd one (and caught the odd one) on wool - normally dark red and black mixes. The only other thing I am confident in, and have had success every year on either than roe are 2/5 spoons fluttered through a run.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »

Roe works better whether it's chunk roe or roe bags but I still hooked one spring this season on shrimp cured in bright red . I like fishing both as sometimes offering the fish something different will entice one to bite especially if your fishing in an area where lots of the guys are using the same gobs of roe . If roe isn't doing the trick , sometimes changing to shrimp will get one . It's not just the reds that will take prawns as I've hooked whites on them too . Problem with using shrimp right now is that due to there being so many sockeye around , you will hook lots of sockeye on them as they like them too unlike roe which they ignore most of the time . Still fun to catch and release though .