Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: beginner flysetup for trout  (Read 10787 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: beginner flysetup for trout
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »

i don't know anyone that i know who use 6 and 7wts for trout anymore. I know in the "olden days" those wts were kind of like the unofficial industry standard wts for trout but with the new technology in rod building, where the rods are twice as light and twice as strong it has made heavier rods for trout obsolete. Most of the people i know use 6 and 7wts for fishing salmon nowadays depending on the rivers they fish.

Like beefchan mentioned a good quality 5wt will be a good starting point for fishing trout in 99% of still water situations in BC. It will be heavy enough to play bigger trout and also light enough to have fun with the little ones. Also a rod you will not need to switch from once you become better at fly fishing.

I use a 6w for trout & pinks. A 4w cane for panfish. A 7w for coho. A 8w for steelhead. And a 9w for chum & spring. Too light a rod, like too light a leader puts undue stress on a fish, which can leave them unable to spawn or kill them. Responsible anglers bring their fish in fast, handle them carefully, and release them unharmed; if they don't intend to serve them for dinner. 

I personally use my 4wt Sage SLT as my main still water rod and bring out the 3wt SLT when the conditions are right.

Only advantage of a heavier rod might be for a beginner is that they might be a little easier to cast with a heavier line wts but playing any trout on them would defeat the purpose of fly fishing where you want to feel the direct contact and weight of the fish itself.

Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

drift

Re: beginner flysetup for trout
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 07:12:51 PM »

great,thanks everyone! :D