Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St. Croix Wild River Rod Opinion  (Read 1761 times)

jinyu

St. Croix Wild River Rod Opinion
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »

Wish to pick up a new coho rod. Is there anyone using St. Croix Wild River 8-12 baitcasting rod, medium power, fast action? What is your pro's opinion on this rod? Underguned for Spring and chum?

stsfisher

Re: St. Croix Wild River Rod Opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »

Is this a used rod?
I had the same rod back in 1995ish. Loved it for coho, however it fell victim to an unfortunate truck door incident. I would not hesitate to purchase another. And no it wasn't suited well for springs or chum, they usually got the rod pointed at them to break them off without over playing them or putting too much stress on the rod
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:03:30 PM by stsfisher »

jim

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:39:03 AM »

sounds good for Coho. whether it is 9, 9.5, 10 or 10.5 feet all should be great. don't use anything over 12 lb test. don't cast into heavy currents, stick to the soft edges for Coho.
 For springs and chum get a 11 foot rod, rated 20 lb test or more.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »

The specs on that rod sound great for coho. As jim said 12lb mono mainline would be my choice, and 10 or 8 flouro leader. Personally I dont like fishing rods this soft if there are chum and/or springs around. Such a chore to get them in, and, if you end up releasing the fish, IMO the rod is unethical as the poor fish will likely be exhausted by the time you get it in with your undergunned rod. Also you risk breaking such a rod on these huge fish. On a slower run with lots of room to play the fish it can certainly be done, just not the best tool for the job.
I prefer to use a medium power rod for coho when chum and springs are around. 8-17 or so rated. 15mono mainline and 12 mono or flouro leader depending on water conditions. When targeting springs or chum specifically then I feel a medium-heavy rod is in order, 12-20 line rating or similar. And it does not matter is the rod is 11 feet. Anything in the 10 to 13 foot range is fine depending on your preferences, it's the power/backbone of the rod that matters.