Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:  (Read 27286 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »

Do you even know who owns the Corbet Lake Lodge?

Yes I do Ralph I've been following this issue fairly closely aswell as on HBC where the issue has some legs.
Why do you ask?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »

Ralph do you know who he's married to? :P

bobby b

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »

Walmart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2016, 06:05:41 AM »

Ralph do you know who he's married to? :P

LOL, you don't know what you are talking about - Corbett is owned by  local Merrit people. There is no court case involving access to Corbett beyond trespass tickets  no do the owners have deep pockets to handle to costs of long term legal issues

You are confusing Corbett with DLC and Minnie Lake which is owned by Stan Kroenke a US Business man with a net worth of over 7 billion.

So much for your following the issue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:23:03 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2016, 07:14:17 AM »

Not sure your issue here other then being a SD like usual. The issue involving the lake is an issue of access. Which is surrounded by Douglas lake ranch and Nicola. Seems like this is an old topic now anyways and off topic for this thread.
Feel free to pm me if you'd like to tell me how wrong I am some more, or just read your sig and apply!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2016, 07:40:42 AM »

no Corbett lake isn't surrounded by DLC land. I am sure you've never stepped on any of the land owned which involves 3 different owners or even been there.

That's the issue - you can't get your facts straight, the people involved, the issues and where there is a court case or not.

you and many others here don't know the difference between 1st Nations Reserve land, 1st Nations title and rights and Fee Simple land ownership, yet you build strong opinions on a bedrock of ignorance.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:16:44 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »

You know these reports refer to different places right? Corbett Lake lodge is not owned by DLC though they own part of the eastern shore of the lake - on which there is no contention of public access. Reports Kroenke owned the lodge were in error. The issue with both Corbett & Minnie lake have to do with the highways act - not with public access to public lakes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:43:19 PM by RalphH »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »

Odd because DLCC sued the fish and game club for trespassing no?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »

What Ralph is saying is that you're confusing Corbett Lake Lodge with Douglas Lake Ranch. The two issues are separate.

Limie99

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »

Actually Rod, I don't think they are.....both issues are about public access....a public road to a public boat launch which has been fenced off and a public road that has a government gate padlocked by a private land owner to a public lake.

See attached link:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=23&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiggLuQ6qDPAhVM6YMKHQE2AOw4FBAWCCcwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fglobalnews.ca%2Fnews%2F2462009%2Fcourts-to-decide-public-access-to-prized-fishing-lake%2F&usg=AFQjCNERKqqhNww6Er2p3V7rVmKOlYmgOw

Limie99

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »

ooops sorry Rod....I missed the lack of connection between Corbett Lake Lodge and Douglas Lake Cattle Company....thought you guy's were talking about public access. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »

Best I know there is no pending court case against Corbett Lake Lodge re: the former boat launch. Having been there and used the launch when it was open over 20 years ago I find it laughable to call it a highway or a road. The launch itself has filled in and disappeared years ago.

I've read the transcript of the preliminary hearing in the case against DLC and many of the claims regarding public right of access to Minnie Lake on the DLC near Stoney Lake Lodge were also of dubious merit or at least so said the judge, the counsel for the Province and for the NVFGC as well. The gated road shown in the video was once a public road and now provides partial access to Stoney and Minnie Lakes. NVFGC claims the road should still be public according to the 'once a highway always a highway' clause of the Act, but the Province traded it off for a shorter route over 40 years ago.

Apparently NVFGC has been advised to expect legal costs of $250g for the Minnie Lake/DLC case alone - at $100g they are well short. They appealed to the Court for public funding to sue DLC and the Province over the issue but the judge turned them down. Best I know there is no court case date set pending the club securing funding.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »

C’mon guys, I know I am as guilty as any for derailing a thread but this is getting silly.  The original post by buck was about Soowhalie band members snagging and netting fish on the Chilliwack River.
Last I heard this practice has stopped, most likely the result of negative social media and perhaps more importantly, the actions of band chief Brenda Wallace.
Spoiler nailed this earlier … Wallace is a bright lady and would not want any bad PR between anglers and Soowhahlie members.