Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder clean up  (Read 5439 times)

SSAMM

vedder clean up
« on: September 26, 2004, 08:22:41 PM »

How did the clean up go. And who was the lucky guys to clean up the bear and moose carcasses that some idiot dumped down by the cottonwoods(top of the canal) Or would DFO(ha ha) come and clean it up. Sounds like the river is picking up , can't wait to go on Wednesday.
SSAMM <'))>< ON

Bantam_50

Re: vedder clean up
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 08:59:35 PM »

The clean up was great. There are times one doesn't mind not putting themself and fishing first. Today was it. I got a chance to meet some more of you from this board, plus some of the CVRCC directors and all I can say is that in two trips to the Chilliwack River this week, I personally believe what they're doing is slowly taking effect. I've never seen the Limit Hole area cleaner and our section up at the Ranger Run I thought would have been a bigger chore than what it turned out to be. So the message must be sinking in. Pack out, what you brought in.

Great event, great people and I'll definitely try and be there for the next one.

Special thanks to Chris for allowing his truck to be a rod/fishing vest bank.  ;)

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 09:09:49 PM »

in the last three years of doing this i half noticed that each year there is a little less
this year on the lower end all we got was about half a truck load for me and my brother
in years past we have had to make several trips back to the dumpster
but we also noticed they have started to block off some access points, so it would make it a little bit  more difficult for guys to just dump stuff down there
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Aurora

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 09:15:27 PM »

This was my first time participating.  Expected to just clean up some fishing area of old line and misc garbage.  Ended up behind riverside restaurant at what seems like the local dump.  Three of us were assigned to his location and fortunately one of us had a truck.  We filled it but left a pile of garbage that was thrown into some thorny blackberry bushes.  We weren't equiped to get at it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 09:38:53 PM by Aurora »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 09:21:56 PM »

It was a pleasure to meet some of the new members on the forum and I thank you once again for coming out to support CVRCC on this lovely day.

FVRD has to be congratulated for putting together such a nice park in a short period of time. The information kiosk is looking great and will look even better once those information boards are installed.

The tree planting was also excellent. All of the douglas fir were donated by Chilliwack River Action Committee by the way.

When we started this program in 2002, it was much smaller than this. The second cleanup (Vic from STS Guiding did the first one, I put on the second one), I had 20 or so people showing up. Rather discouraging but a good start. Today, we had over 200 eager participants taking part in the event, a great sign that shows people are willing to make a difference.

It's also good to see several sections of the upper river adoption program have already been taken.

My special thanks to Frank Kw who worked so hard to provide a splendid salmon bbq for everyone to enjoy.

I'll let Chris and others to say more.... I'll post the photos once I finish working with them. :)

Lew Chater

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 09:52:13 PM »

As Rodney said, we had about 200 people actually on the cleanup, with probably another 75 or more there for the official opening of Thompson Park. I agree with other posters that some areas are certainly showing improvement and after a particularly heavy use of the river during this hot summer. Terry and I drove the whole river yesterday to determine where to send people today for the most needy sections. I am out there frequently and am noticing now that areas that were untidy a week ago have been cleaned up by other people, so I think our stewardship of the river is starting to catch on and pay off. A great job by the FVRD crew to get the part ready under really difficult Sept. weather conditions.
A big thanks to Frank and Evelyn Kwak, and Gywn Joiner for the terrific salmon BBQ and to Ben Timms one of our CVRCC directors and his family for the great hot dogs etc.
 The real winner was the Chillliwack Vedder River area as a lot of debris was removed and the thanks go to the 200 or so people; people from this board, girl guides, families and our local Army Support Unit who worked together to make it happen.
A HUGE THANKS FROM THE CVRCC ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D
I sent Rodney some pictures which I hope he posts for me.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 10:18:51 PM »

Photos as promised, click on each to see large version.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:21:27 PM by Rodney »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 11:22:37 PM »

Was a great day, caught my 1st fish out of the Vedder this Fall, great bbq, cleaning up the mess and seeing everyone again. :)

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 08:18:18 AM »

Nice pics.  Looked like a great day indeed.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 09:25:48 AM »

Sorry I missed the show guy's.  I was driving to Quesnel and I'm typing this in the hotel room.  Good work and good on ya' to all those that did show up.

odie

• I Fish ... therefore, I am.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 11:30:42 AM »

Great day and what an awesome turn out. I was expecting to see 20 or 30 people. I will definately make this a family event next time.
I was assigned the Borden Creek area along with a couple others and was expecting we would each fill up the three garbage bags that we were given. We cleaned around the 5th wheel parked there, down the trails to and from the river (left behind a large, rusted steel frame on the side channel as it was too heavy), along the road ... and only filled up 3 bags in total!

Nice to meet some of the members on this board.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 07:56:53 PM »

What a wonderful BC Rivers Day celebration we had at the opening of Thompson Park yesterday. ;D ;D

The displays were excellent as was the food  thanks to the work of Ben and his helpers along with, Frank, Ev and Gwyn that did the fish BBQ.

It was just great to see so many organizations, girl guides, the Armed forces, Government agencies and people all with the common goal of improving our waterways banding together at the event.

Even though we most likely had a record attendance since we started CVRCC a few years ago I believe we collected less garbage this time and our bottle refund that I took in today totalled only $36 this time down from over $50 the last cleanup.

This is a good sign as the message and the work we are doing is getting out to some of the careless and uncaring populace that are now thinking twice about throwing out their trash along our precious rivers.

As usual it was great to meet some new faces along with the old friends  from FWR and other sites that keep supporting our cleanups time after time.

Everyone that attends these cleanups should feel very proud of the contibutions they are making to our environment.

Also a big thanks goes to Rodney for all the work he does for the CVRCC and all the positive things he does for the young anglers and the angling community through out the year.

One has only look at the work he did for the displays he put together  yesterday and for other events each year. I do not know how he does it.

I am proud to be part of the FWR web site one of the best on the net.

Keep up the good work good friend.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 07:59:30 PM by chris gadsden »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 08:35:23 PM »

;Dcongrads to all you who attended the cleanup you should be proud of yourselves. as usual i had to work. need to win the lotto then i can fish more and enjoy the outdoors more. again good job guys and gals. oh any 1 wannaa hook up monday to fish coho on the vedder message me thanx and have a pepsi day ;D