Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Mouth, August 31st 2013  (Read 1470 times)

blueback

Fraser River Mouth, August 31st 2013
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »

My 6 year old son and I were up bright (no wait, dark) and early to fish the dropping tide at the T10 marker Saturday morning. On our way out of the North arm, we decided to slow down and troll from about 1/2 way between the North and South arms to the T10 buoy. Not long after I dropped the gear Something large grabbed the deep line and started peeling line! I got to the rod and set the hook only to play what felt like a large spring for a few seconds, before it came unbuttoned. Just as got the gear back to depth the shallow line went off. I saw a good sized pink at the top before it got off as well. I reset that line again and we trolled almost to the T10 before we got another strike on the shallow again. This time we got the small, but chrome pink into the net. Trolling again at the T10 when the deep line went off and peeled line again. This time we got it and it turned out to be a beauty chrome 15lb red spring. Lost a few more what felt like pinks on deep and shallow lines before a biggie grabbed the short line. I set the hook and this fish just kept peeling line off my mooching reel. Fought the fish for about 3 minutes before it broke me off :'(. Oh well I said to my son, time to jet anyway as the incoming was starting to flow. We left with a nice little pink and a chrome red spring for dinner, and lost 4 with one break off. Lures of the day were a large glow white hootchy and my trusty 4 inch wonder bread coyote spoon (which I lost). Depths were 75 ft and 45 ft. I counted 48 boats out there. We're gonna see if my wife will let us try again tomorrow as it's 'hot' out there ;D ;D.       

chronic_topdawg

Re: Fraser River Mouth, August 31st 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »

thanks for the salt, its been odd out there hit and miss

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »

Headed out that way tomorrow. Gonna see if we can find some chrome. Thanks for the report.

blueback

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »

Well didn't make it out this am as we were too beat from yesterdays outing. We are planning to get out there tomorrow, however, as I have the wife's go ahead and my boy is game, and my father-in-law wants a seat in the boat b/c he saw the red spring from yesterday. I hope the wind continues to stay down so we can get out there. I was wondering if anyone else had the chance to get out. Reports??   

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »

Fished Sunday sandheads, fishing was great, atleast 40 hits in total, springs, pinks, wild coho, and a sockeye. Released lots of fish kept our limit of springs and pinks.

blueback

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »

Wow, sounds awesome mikeyman. Were the springs red or whites, or a mix? I went out with my father-in-law this morning and went right to the T-10. Again about 50 other boats out there with us. We got a huge hit right away and the thing peeled out alot of line. Got my knuckles dusted repeatedly, arms ached and my brake hand burned. This beast did 4 huge runs and I fought it for 15 minutes (timed by my father in law) until it finally came unbuttoned. :'( We didn't even see it.  :'( Ten minutes later we got another hit and the fight was on again. This was much smaller but still felt like a spring. This one was played by my father-in-law and he lost it after a much shorter fight. Same spoon for both fish; time to change the hook to a new Gammy. After that a porpoise showed up and the bite shut down for the next hour or so. Got another spring on the same line and this one made it to the net. It was a 20lb. white spring. After that nothing else for us. Only saw other boats out there getting the odd pink. All the action must've been at the sandheads. Nice flat seas; great day again.     
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:58:47 PM by blueback »