Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 78839 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Pretty much bang on... ;D

River is gradually dropping, still a bit on the high side, fishing is spotty but they are there. ;D

New coho salmon fishing video tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lVr7a7MHEY

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Almost felt like winter steelhead season today. Water colour was green with vis. at around 2ft. River is still a bit high but fishable.

Some coho were caught.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

One of the coho salmon my friend Jenna caught yesterday afternoon.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Bounced between a few spots in the lower river this afternoon for an hour. River is pretty high, water clarity is fine, but it was raining hard. The forecast is looking terrible and if it doesn't drop that might just be a wrap for this excellent season.

I'm seeing way more chum salmon in all the channels in the past two days than a week ago which is fantastic.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Bounced between a few spots in the lower river this afternoon for an hour. River is pretty high, water clarity is fine, but it was raining hard. The forecast is looking terrible and if it doesn't drop that might just be a wrap for this excellent season.

I'm seeing way more chum salmon in all the channels in the past two days than a week ago which is fantastic.

as the salmon season winding down, I feel getting one year older again

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

If I live in the area and still want to fish the Tidal Fraser River for salmon then I'd be a lot more vocal about this, but I am pretty content with what I have in my backyard now. The reality is that there's basically no one advocating for this lost fishery by coming up with compromised solutions to make an opening work, so I'm at the point that if it opens, great, if not, I'm not missing it and it's good news for the fish.

milo

• Old Timer

If I live in the area and still want to fish the Tidal Fraser River for salmon then I'd be a lot more vocal about this, but I am pretty content with what I have in my backyard now. The reality is that there's basically no one advocating for this lost fishery by coming up with compromised solutions to make an opening work, so I'm at the point that if it opens, great, if not, I'm not missing it and it's good news for the fish.

I like that way of thinking.👍

I'm done fishing for this year. It's salmon smoking time. Doing my second 6-coho batch (my smoker's full capacity) as we speak. Experimenting with lower salt amounts than usual. The first batch was gummy bear style candy, which turned out fantastic. This one will be lemon-pepper.

Tight lines to those who are still fishing, see you next year. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I like that way of thinking.👍

I'm done fishing for this year. It's salmon smoking time. Doing my second 6-coho batch (my smoker's full capacity) as we speak. Experimenting with lower salt amounts than usual. The first batch was gummy bear style candy, which turned out fantastic. This one will be lemon-pepper.

Tight lines to those who are still fishing, see you next year. :)

Oops, I posted that post in the wrong thread.... :-X It was supposed to go in the Lower Fraser opening thread.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Are you sure they are not 3 year olds??

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

They keep calling for rain, but it just doesn't come and river keeps staying fishable so nothing is getting done in this house. ;D

Chum salmon abundance in the lower river continues to climb, from observations at the same spots daily. It will be interesting to see the data from stock assessment after the season. One thing that was pointed out last night was that we are seeing a good percentage of chum salmon quite a bit smaller than average. Perhaps test fisheries are not getting these fish due to mesh sizes, which result in a lower estimate. That said, overall abundance in the Vedder does appear to be lower than previous good years.

Water clarity is excellent, river level is quite nice right now too. Some very fresh coho salmon are still being caught, just not by me. :-X

I want to deliver what the Chilliwack River Hatchery has updated us so far for 2021 at last night's meeting. Many thanks to Alex Klingemann, the operation manager, for always taking the time to provide the numbers and facts.

As of November 4th, the hatchery has had about 20,000 coho salmon returning to it. There are still a few more thousands holding in the channel and waiting to be sorted. Once the season is completed, there will be a final number, which I suspect will be close to 30,000. This number is similar to 2020 (30,363) and 2019 (27,701).

So far, just over 10,000 fall chinook salmon have returned to the hatchery. This is almost double of the returns in 2020 (5,946) and 2019 (5,564). The main reason behind this, as mentioned in an earlier post, is the doubling of the juvenile release from 1 to 2 million fish in 2020, and these numbers include jacks. The numbers of jacks returning to the hatchery in 2019, 2020 and 2021 are 1,935, 1,944, 6,054, respectively. Next year, we should see strong fall chinook salmon returns for both adults and jacks.

The summer chinook salmon return number is fairly similar to the previous two years. This year’s return number is 2,001. Last year’s return was 2,439, and 1,455 for 2019.

Chum salmon returns, like coho salmon, are still happening until the end of December. To date, 1,785 chum salmon have made it to the hatchery. The last four years, the returns have been between 3,000 and 4,000 fish, with the exception of 2018 when 9,004 reached the hatchery.

The production target for 2021 are the followings.

Summer chinook salmon
Egg target: 550,000
Release target: 500,000
Release size: 7 - 8g

Fall chinook salmon
Egg target: 2.8 million (730,000 to Capilano Hatchery)
Release target: 2 million
Release size: 5 - 6g

Coho salmon
Egg target: 1 million
Release target: 800,000
Release size: 20g

Chum salmon
Egg target: 3 million
Release target: 2.6 million (2 million fed fry and 600,000 unfed fry)
Release size: 1g (fed fry)

Winter steelhead
Egg target: 200,000
Release target: 125,000
Release size: 80g

Keep in mind that these adult return numbers are the numbers of fish back to the hatchery, not the total run sizes for the Chilliwack/Vedder River.
All hatchery coho and steelhead are adipose clipped.

The hatchery currently remains closed to the public, but hopefully things will be back to normal next year.

I hope this gives you a better understanding on what the Chilliwack River Hatchery does. If there are other questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to either answer them or relay them to the hatchery.

Lunk Louie

Hey Rod

Maybe  somebody should take some closeup photos of the coho at the hatchery right now so we can see how many actually have been clipped....maybe there is a reason (beside the covid excuse) why they're closed to the public.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hey Rod

Maybe  somebody should take some closeup photos of the coho at the hatchery right now so we can see how many actually have been clipped....maybe there is a reason (beside the covid excuse) why they're closed to the public.

How many of the returning adult fish holding in the channel are clipped? Well I've been at the hatchery numerous times this fall and i can tell you that it's a mix of hatchery clipped and wild fish in the school. This is not suggesting the fish are not being clipped, wild fish do make their way into the hatchery and as many of them are used for brood as possible.

100% of the juvenile hatchery coho salmon are clipped prior to being released.

The hatchery is closed due to the federal guideline, the managers have no control of it even though they have been hoping to open it since they know how many people are keen to go up there for a visit.

If you are suggesting that there is a shortage of hatchery coho salmon to catch then it's not very accurate lol.. Out of the tens of thousands of coho salmon which reach the hatchery, majority of them are clipped fish, plenty of big ones too... It makes me think that I have not been fishing hard enough.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 04:27:27 PM by Rodney »

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Some very kinda fresh coho salmon are still being caught, by me.
It ain't the roe bro'

clarki

• Old Timer

Ah, you caught one of the late run Chilliwack/Vedder protruding eye salmon.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Some very kinda fresh coho salmon are still being caught, by me.

Do you only fish one spot or take fish photo in one specific spot?