Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 78743 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

But haven't you been more conservation-minded than me? ;D

Doing my utmost to let them go so you can have a crack at them. Judging from your videos, it is obviously working. You can thank me later. ;D

psd1179

• Old Timer

I read on FB that the road is closed at Tamahi. Really No access further up? Any idea until when. Thanks

Every year at this time, there is something like that. just like winter kill or asbestos in the spring lake fishing season.

Darko

• Old Timer

No retention of chum starting tomorrow for a bunch of systems. Please kindly let others know if you see anyone try to harvest one.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

blueback

Conditions remain very good, as of 4pm today. Water up somewhat from earlier in the week but lots of vis still. 

fic

• Old Timer

Lots of fish were moving through yesterday. Tons of chums.  The coho wouldn't bite my spoon but 4 chums did.  Landed an 18lb buck.  Seems like the Vedder has a pretty good chum return even with the closure.  I could see other people hooking fish with beads but so far they haven't worked for me.   I didn't see anyone using roe.  BNR should pay Rod for the Advertisement  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:31:30 AM by fic »

DanTfisherman

Don't want to wreck the theme of "water conditions" on this theme, but having used Jensen eggs in the 90's, and now reading about soft beads and hard beads and their "success", are these beads any different than a single magnum Jensen egg?  Thoughts?  Why all the fancy knots to tie them?  Could you use a bobber stopper 3 fingers up from the hook, then tie a thin piece of woll above it as we used to do with the Jensen Egg?  Trying to figure out all the big deal about the "new" salmon bead which to me, sounds like old school technology (Jensen Egg), with a few tweaks.

Where we were fishing yesterday, we got 12 in, lost another 10 or 11.  Big seal attacked one and took it away with him.  Of these fish, three hatchery

Dano

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

You most certainly can use a float stop on the beads. Every season sees a "new and secret" lure.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Don't want to wreck the theme of "water conditions" on this theme, but having used Jensen eggs in the 90's, and now reading about soft beads and hard beads and their "success", are these beads any different than a single magnum Jensen egg?  Thoughts?  Why all the fancy knots to tie them?  Could you use a bobber stopper 3 fingers up from the hook, then tie a thin piece of woll above it as we used to do with the Jensen Egg?  Trying to figure out all the big deal about the "new" salmon bead which to me, sounds like old school technology (Jensen Egg), with a few tweaks.

Where we were fishing yesterday, we got 12 in, lost another 10 or 11.  Big seal attacked one and took it away with him.  Of these fish, three hatchery

Dano

Sounds like fun. so were you using jensen eggs or new style beads?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River level has been slowly rising since yesterday, but it is staying in shape at the moment.

DanTfisherman

Sounds like fun. so were you using jensen eggs or new style beads?

We were not using beads or single eggs.  Keeping it simple and using lures and spinners.

Dano

milo

• Old Timer

...having used Jensen eggs in the 90's, and now reading about soft beads and hard beads and their "success", are these beads any different than a single magnum Jensen egg?  Thoughts?  Why all the fancy knots to tie them? 

The primary difference between Jensen eggs and the new soft beads is that the new ones are neutral buoyant, meaning they stay suspended in the water column, at the depth you set your weight, regardless of the speed of the flow. Old generation artificial egg imitations either floated (corkies, hard beads) or sank (soft Jensen, Pautzke, etc). Keeping them fixed on the leader was always a simple matter of using a little stopper.
So you are right, Dan, nothing truly revolutionary in the new soft beads except the neutral buoyancy factor, which takes the guesswork out of the depth setting equation.

DanTfisherman

Thanks Milo.
Did not take into consideration the neutral buoyancy thing, but reading that most people like a 14-18 inch leader, how much difference could neutral buoyancy make, vs corkie or Jensen Egg?

As a heads up, to save cluttering up this particular post, I created a new one.

Dano

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

any thoughts on sunday's fishability water levels?

thanks

yoda

Sounds like you guys are having fun, especially you rod. Just on a side note. If you are parking anywhere near lickman on the yarrow side, keep your eyes open. Some low lifes climbed under a buddy of mines truck that was parked up river on the gravel road from lickman and removed his catalytic converter. Obviously they are picking vehicles that have easy clearance to get under. So sad to come back to!

yoda

Sorry, so forgot to say it was on friday morning they did the deed. Anyone see it. I believe he was filing a police report.