Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 78732 times)

fishdreamer

Great smile!

milo

• Old Timer

Rain didn't affect the conditions today, in fact it probably made conditions more favourable.

True that.
Fishing was insanely good this morning, especially early on. The afternoon was spotty.
Buddy and I limited out on coho, and we released quite a few hatchery fish.

The downside to this wonderful day is that I lost my beautiful hand-made magnetic fishing net😢, so please please PLEASE, if you or someone you know or hear about found it, let me know. I'm very fond of that net. I offer a reward, either cash or a gift card of the finder's choice.
Keeping my fingers crossed.🤞

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

True that.
Fishing was insanely good this morning, especially early on. The afternoon was spotty.
Buddy and I limited out on coho, and we released quite a few hatchery fish.

The downside to this wonderful day is that I lost my beautiful hand-made magnetic fishing net😢, so please please PLEASE, if you or someone you know or hear about found it, let me know. I'm very fond of that net. I offer a reward, either cash or a gift card of the finder's choice.
Keeping my fingers crossed.🤞

Milo, was this in the canal, or further up? Don't need a specific spot, but it'll narrow down the search. Post going up on Facebook soon and I have had success reuniting items with owners quite often, so fingers crossed.

A photo of the net would also really help, you can send it to info@fishingwithrod.com

milo

• Old Timer

Thank you Rodney. Much appreciated. The net was lost either at the Gun Barrel run (below Upper Wilson Rd.) or on one of the trails behind Yarrow Community Centre.
I can't remember if I had it on me returning from the Gun Barrel run. It's a helluva long walk through the forest, where it could have snagged on a tree branch. :-X

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Milo I posted it up this morning, no responses yet but I hope someone will message me with good news eventually.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Good evening all. I just sat through another meeting with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Sumas First Nation to see how the pilot fall salmon fisheries have been.

As mentioned in the post a couple of weeks ago, Sumas First Nation has been experimenting with an open weir fish trap instead of gill nets, so fish could be harvested selectively. There have been two openings (Thursday to Monday in the past two weeks), and so far ZERO fish have been harvested. There have been many challenges with this setup, fish were simply not swimming into the trap, as well as heavy boat traffic on weekends when this fishery is taking place.

This weekend, starting tomorrow to Monday, the group will be attempting a new method to harvest selectively. In the next four days, from 6:00am to 7:00pm, fishers will be dip netting from the confluence of Slesse Creek to the upper recreational fishing boundary. This again is a pilot project to see how successful the method is. This post is meant to make sure all anglers are aware of it this long weekend while enjoying the fishing along the Chilliwack/Vedder River corridor.

I cannot say this enough, but I, and I think you all should as well, really appreciate the amount of effort and time the Sumas First Nation has invested into finding ways to harvest selectively. As someone who's pretty involved in the recreational fishery in this region, I will continue to do my best to support these initiatives.

Please share this information with other anglers and groups, and please be respectful to all fishers and fish while out fishing this weekend. We are now entering the peak run timing of chinook and coho salmon, so have a great weekend all!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Excellent post Rod! Thank for your superb efforts and reporting on this particular project. I agree completely with your assessment and feel the Sumas First Nation (Sema:th people) is doing pioneering work to find selective methods that consider the interests conservation and  of all users on the Chilliwack system.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Finally it is close to the right spot. I have said the best way is to scoop fish in the hatchery. No conflict with recreation anglers, much easy to get fish. Dipping net is also very traditionally way and burns a lot of calories to do so. Should be very satisfied to bonk pile of fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Finally it is close to the right spot. I have said the best way is to scoop fish in the hatchery. No conflict with recreation anglers, much easy to get fish. Dipping net is also very traditionally way and burns a lot of calories to do so. Should be very satisfied to bonk pile of fish.

Nobody wants to scoop up fish in the hatchery channel for food. This isn't just about harvesting biomass, but to value their traditions by finding ways to practice it. Just like you are satisfied when you get to a run and catch some hatchery coho salmon, they want to have the opportunities to trap fish or dip net for fish, harvest selectively and leave the wild coho salmon unharmed.

The Sumas First Nation has been incredibly considerate. Their licence for the fishery opening in the lower river is for anywhere downstream from Keith Wilson Bridge. Rather than setting something up between the two bridges, which I think would have been way more effective, they have chosen to spend the time and energy to figure out how to make the trap work below the Sumas confluence. They want to do this because they recognize the amount of anglers who enjoy fishing between the two bridges, and it would have created potential problems if a beach seine or trap takes place at one particular run.

NiceFish

• Old Timer

I have been out 3 mornings this week, only 1 spring to hand. Very slow. Anyone else catching fish... I don't believe it. Good luck...

psd1179

• Old Timer

I have been out 3 mornings this week, only 1 spring to hand. Very slow. Anyone else catching fish... I don't believe it. Good luck...

contradict to what I have heard, no first hand experience though. Looking forward to go on weekend.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Having a trap on the lower was a great idea I agree.

Dip netting now near the fishing boundary is almost akin to just doing it at the hatchery outlet. Maybe a bit better scenery I guess.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:15:02 PM by wildmanyeah »

milo

• Old Timer

Milo I posted it up this morning, no responses yet but I hope someone will message me with good news eventually.

Thank you very much Rodney. I'm very hopeful that I'll be reunited with it eventually. It's an item that I'm very fond of.
It will feel awkward not having it hanging off my fishing vest tomorrow. :(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

so much for the big 2019 hatchery boost! Was it just a blip?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

Was pretty good yesterday, saw some guy limit out on hatchery coho. I landed a hatchery Coho and a spring
And I ran into a red spring !! but couldnt land it - broke my leader when i thought it was ready to be landed on to the shore.