Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 78731 times)

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.

What do you mean by a "yearling strategy", bkk.  That fry/juveniles only spend one year in their natal streams before the smolt and migrate?
Yes a yearling chinook juvenile is a fish that migrates to the ocean in it's second spring of life. Similar to a coho smolt. Lots of chinook stocks migrate in their first year and are commonly known as fry of the year or "100 day wonders" as that is about how long they rear in freshwater before migrating to the ocean.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Yes a yearling chinook juvenile is a fish that migrates to the ocean in it's second spring of life. Similar to a coho smolt. Lots of chinook stocks migrate in their first year and are commonly known as fry of the year or "100 day wonders" as that is about how long they rear in freshwater before migrating to the ocean.

In the brood year reports, Fall Chinook and even some summer chinook released from the Cap, Chehalis and Chilliwack hatcheries are referred to as Smolt 0+. Tenderfoot creek releases are smolt 1+
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer

Thanks bkk. Learn something new every day! I understood (mistakenly, obviously...) that chinook juveniles traveled to the ocean at 2+ years of age. Never knew about yearlings, or 100 day wonders.

Silex-user

Fished first time for Vedder river salmon this season on Tuesday. it was busy but I did get 1 big colour spring release and kept couple of fresh chrome spring jacks. No coho for me but did see some caught. Had one buck humpie bite my roe and release un harm. Too busy for me. Going wait another month before going back.

Siles-user

milo

• Old Timer

Too busy for me. Going wait another month before going back.

You will accomplish nothing except depriving yourself of the opportunity to catch fresh coho and springs. In one month it will be virtually as busy as it is now.
Just go find some water to yourself. There's still plenty away from the meat holes.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The river was in good shape and level was rising this morning, but it is now dirty and unfishable.

One thing which I have noticed but haven't talked about, until Buck pointed out this morning, is the lack of coho jacks this year. This could become a concern for next year's return.

ButtLoadOfDucks

Friends and I fished Canal last week and happened into a school of wild coho jacks! But you're right I haven't seen as many caught compared to previous years. Perhaps it is too early to say however. Looks like the rain is stopping tonight at least for a bit. Hoping it'll clear a little.

DKokanee

Is the river blown out today? Hydrometric chart looks high but it's coming down

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Still a bit high but dropping fast. Vis is around 2ft now.

jim

1 pm.  visibility is improving, and the strong sunlight at the dog park shows 3-4 feet deep.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River conditions have been fantastic. The end. ;D

milo

• Old Timer

River conditions have been fantastic. The end. ;D

Agreed, especially if you were on the water first light. Later in the day the coho/chinook bite was mostly off for me, at least at the four uncrowded locations I visited and fished today.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Agreed, especially if you were on the water first light. Later in the day the coho/chinook bite was mostly off for me, at least at the four uncrowded locations I visited and fished today.

The chum bite picked up after the coho/ chinook stopped

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I haven't found fish this week, but I've also only been popping down to the river for an hour at a time. Yesterday evening I watched a group of young men getting really excited about catching a wild coho salmon, and the first salmon ever for three of them in the group. I lent my net, took some photos, that was good enough for me, no need to catch my own. ;D

psd1179

• Old Timer

fishing was slow over the weekend. Very rare to see low number of angler on both side of river as well.
Consider the great water and weather condition, I was wondering if the low number of fresh fish was blocked by the weir trap in the lower river. Do the fish trap has catching number report?