Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone eaten a "boot"?  (Read 3810 times)

Simon2

• I'm a llama!
Anyone eaten a "boot"?
« on: November 10, 2004, 12:27:42 PM »

I was wondering if anyone here has actually eaten a boot (salmon)?  What does it taste like? 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Anyone eaten a "boot"?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:33:22 PM »

I havent but I imagine it probably actually tastes like a dirty roten boot....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 02:06:51 PM »

in my earlier years I have taken less than desirable fish and its an absolute waste.  The flesh gets pale and almost falls apart ... in your mouth after chewed on for a second its like a bunch of wood chips, dry and tasteless. And that was a coho...dont even think about it for a spring!

I have bonked chum and coho that were not good enough for the bbq but seasoned up nicely for salmon jerky.  that said these were not boot fish either semi clean, semi colored.

hope this post save you wasting some fish!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:28:05 PM »

I remember my first year targeting Coho. I took one home that pretty coloured, not full red but non the less, today I'd call it a tomato. The meat was opaque and tasted old, bland, musty. I didn't really know what to expect and after tasting it, I felt bad that I killed it. A couple of years ago I ended up taking a Coho that started to get that purplish hue to it and it too tasted old. My son was with me when we killed that fish and we both turned off by its taste. I'll never kill another salmon that's not chrome. My 8-year old son says the same so I'm glad at least, that he's already come to appreciate that killing a fresh salmon for the table is a special privelage that we have by living in the Lower Mainland and the only way he's going to keep that privelage is by people protecting the spawning salmon.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 04:12:27 PM »

A boot tastes like what it looks like...

Some of them are more vegetative than meat anyways with the amount of fungus on them.

My dad and I took a coho from the cap a few years ago that was purplish, this was when we were just getting into salmon fihsing and thought that the cap was the only salmon river in the general area (kinda funny when I think about it now). Apparently it tasted pretty bad and we both recieved a hard time from mum for bringing it home, also felt guilty for taking the life of a crap-tasting pre-spawning fish.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Oliver

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 06:02:57 PM »

One year when I was living the poor life I kept a couple old pinks and a couple purple barred monsters later on. I had to scrounge hooks off the river bank and cut apart my socks for some red wool, really. I was piss poor and starving but I wasn't going to stoop to snagging fish. Anyways, they tasted like crap but at the time, I didn't really care. True story.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 07:50:12 PM »

Once I drank a glass of bleach thinking it was water.  It wasn't very tasty.   :-X but I don't think that boot would tast much better.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 08:00:40 PM »

But if you bleach the boots and then smoke them.......... ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 09:20:03 PM »

Just soak the fillets in milk...

My buddy has taken a colleague from work out on a few occasions. His colleague hails fom eastern Europe, kills the skankiest chum you can find, and swears that soaking the fillets in milk helps.

And just when I thought olive and lemon was a good marinade.

TtotheE

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 11:53:27 PM »

Actually,  a friend of mine did this with some black bass.  Claims that the milk will get rid of the "stink".  Not just a fisherman's tale  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 12:29:30 AM »

Soaking calf's liver in milk also gets rid of the smell. It's true

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 08:27:28 AM »

Wrap them in a plaster made from hay-fed cow manure. Bake for about 2 hours on a low temperature. In a pit works best, but a barbeque will do (just don't cook it in the house!). Crack open the plaster (should be quite hard). Throw away the fish. Makes the manure taste not half-bad!

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 11:27:47 AM »

hey Clarki..I think I have seen your work friend, and a few of his "comrades" at work on the Stave.

You don't make friends with salad.