Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging vs. Flossing  (Read 16994 times)

FiShGutZ

• I'm a llama!
Snagging vs. Flossing
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:33:46 AM »

As defined in the regulation book.... snagging is considered Intentionally hooking a fish in any part of the body besides it's mouth.
So would "Flossing" basically force feeding the fish illegal to keep?
It is a proven fact that Salmon swim upstream with their mouths open.. so if your hook happens to catch it in the yapper, but the fish did not "take" your bait then would that be wrong to keep as well. Of course we would never be able to prove that point but if flossing is illegal and/or unethical then we should have that printed in the regs and bann it completley from all our lakes/rivers INCLUDING the fraser and sockeye fisheries.
To allow it during sockeye season and in the fraser and not to allow it on another river at any time of the season just baffles my mind.
And what is more baffling are the ppl that beek off to others for doing it, but give themselves a grey zone during sockeye time.
Would like to know what others think.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Snagging vs. Flossing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 12:51:42 AM »

Get ready to rumble

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 05:13:32 AM »

enjoy your day rod  8)
i'm staying out of this :P

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 07:27:04 AM »

::)

I plan to fish on Wednesday....

ROTFL! As you can see this horse has been flogged enough.  :(

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 08:15:29 AM »

oh no!!!!  not this stuff again!!!!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 08:24:56 AM »

Hey there FishGz, after you read everything Rod's put out
for you get back to us, okay. See you in a week. :D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 09:58:42 AM »

As defined in the regulation book.... snagging is considered Intentionally hooking a fish in any part of the body besides it's mouth.

I'll bite (pun intended)

On the quote, and in the regs, it says intentionally.  So, lets say I hook a chum in the dorsal fin.  I did not snag it because I did not intentionally attempt to do so.  Therefore, I should be allowed to keep the fish because it was not snagged.

I have great problem with this.  My ethics are different than yours, and yours are different than mine.  Feel free to critique my meathods and allow me to critique yours.  When we are done, we should be able to smile at each other and say great day.  One or both of us should have learned something.  If either of the party does not listen or chooses to isolate themself, then that person is the loser. 

These discussions are good for the forum.  The problem is being able to listen and to tell your story effectively. 

Somebody else take a crack at it!  Lets listen and learn.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 10:13:12 AM by grumman »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 10:12:39 AM »

This is very interesting!  

The flossing debate comes out with out fail around sockeye season...and now in Coho season too.  My guess is that we will also see it in Steelhead season and probably sooner or later, in Deer and Moose season too!  

Bottom line is that flossing metastised (see defintion below) in our beloved sport.

Sockeye is an anomily in tems of the number of returning fish (very high), duration of the season (2-4 week - short), and the fact that they don't bite with regularity in fresh water.  This means if we want a crack at them the sports guy has to hit them hard and flossing does just that.  If DFO does its job and creates sports openings when the stocks can support it...I don't mind HARVESTING my share (10-12 this this past season).

Coho/springs/steelhead/chum etc.  are a different story.  We have 2-3 months to harvest coho, steelhead are available 4+ months of the year, these fish BITE - they donw need to be flossed, etc etc...this is why I don't like seeing flossing on the vedder but think its ok on the fraser.

My simple fix: change the definition of snagging to any fish that is hooked but has not taken the presention (in the mouth area).  Biffs coho hooked on a spinner in the snout is fair game, a flossed steelhead/salmon is not.  

Shut down the sockeye...if needed yes, its worth it to protect our local rivers from the scourge of flossers

Metastasize:
1)To be changed or transformed, especially dangerously: “a need for love that would metastasize into an insatiable craving for attention” (Michiko Kakutani).
2)   To spread, especially destructively: “ [disinformation]... that even now continues to metastasize... to such a degree that myth threatens to overthrow history” (Gore Vidal).

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 10:14:41 AM by Gooey »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 10:15:23 AM »

::)

I plan to fish on Wednesday....

where?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 12:00:40 PM »

Well, I think that snagging, flossing, bottom bouncing, fly flossing ect are generally not very nice things to do to fish.  But I also think that fresh water salmon should be C&R for most of the season.  Does that make me crazy?
The voices in my head tell me that I am not crazy.

Jon

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »

I'll bite (pun intended)

On the quote, and in the regs, it says intentionally.  So, lets say I hook a chum in the dorsal fin.  I did not snag it because I did not intentionally attempt to do so.  Therefore, I should be allowed to keep the fish because it was not snagged.

Also in the regs:

snagging (foul hooking)… hooking a fish in
any other part of its body than the mouth.

Attempting to snag fish of any species is
prohibited. Any fish willfully or accidently
snagged must be released immediately.

So, if its not hooked in the mouth it MUST be let go (accidently hooked, or purposefully)
If you ATTEMPT to hook a fish (of ANY species) anywhere OTHER than the mouth, you are breaking the regs (prohibited)

The grey area with flossing, is that it falls into the legal definition of NOT snagging.  The fisherman is attempting to hook a fish, IN the mouth.  (usually in the CORNER of the MOUTH).

I have personal feelings about the approriate place for this, and it's ethicality (word?), but I'm not going to venture into that quagmire - because it leads down the road to P.E.T.A. :(

You guys need to get out and FISH MORE!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 03:04:05 PM »

Correct.  I believe that anyone who wants to put flossing on the table should put presure on FDO to change their regs to make it illegal.  In the mean time, however, flossing is considered legal by the DFO. I still like the discussion though.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 06:00:10 PM »

Why is one speicies of fish exluded from flossing but not others ? Should we not respect all our stocks equally
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 07:45:51 PM »

This discussion goes on, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.