Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilano river  (Read 12334 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: capilano river
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »

Cable pool is a real beak nest on the Cap.
Once you gain some experience you wont be fishing there.

This is like saying the KWB on the vedder is a beek hole. Yes it gets beeked out, but if there's only people there float fishing properly, you catch the fish sitting there via float fishing properly. The cable is only a beek hole when people start trying to snag coho. If there's a bunch of guys fishing it like it should be fished, things work out just as well as any where else. BTW, said guys also know that if you're going to flip a fish onto the cliff, it dies, if not, you walk it around to the stairs on the left or the down the rope on the right and release the fish, rather than dragging it 50ft up a cliff and then throwing it 50ft back down into the water. JUST AN FYI
Fish killer 101

winter steel

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »

At times it can be a bit of a gong show, but I have fished that river for 25 (20-30 rod days a season) plus years and have seen it become more civil, with fewer infractions rather than more. Do they still happen sure, but people are way more conscious and aware when it comes to protecting the resource. In fact, during the low water periods you see more people chucking feathers then gear. Take into account that a lot of fishermen new to the sport start there and you will have issues such as the one involving that unfortunate steelhead. I did not know how to land a fish off the cliff until I watched a Cap veteran (Eric C) do it. Also, the whitewater that was once commonly filled with "dentists" hardly gets fished anymore as the technique has moved its way out into the more pristine Valley rivers. Its a great local fishery (put out an 18 pound steelhead for the hatchery brood stock program this spring) intended to be harvested and an opportunity to learn more about the sport. For those that knock the Cap, no problem, leave it be, more for me and enjoy the time driving, ;D ;D tight lines WS

mko72

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »

In defense of SOME of the guys who fish from that cliff, I see the odd pair with a telescoping net that they lower into the river, gently scoop the fish up, take the hook out of its mouth and then may or may not return it to the river.  I've never fished the cliff because of the distance from the water to the platform, so I go elsewhere to try/fail to catch fish  :P

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »

Wow, i went for a walk at the cable pool this morning. It was packed with fishermen every where. I guess is the internet.  BUT no fish get caught.

kalex60

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »

Slow year heard the same thing

soliak

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

How not to land coho at cable pool
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j346iRJZjgY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dennis.t - they told me they were going to go home, so it'd say it's unlikely they moved somewhere else.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »

No you are wrong. i still seen a lot of the good rods and forum members still fish at the cable pool every year. ;) ;D

Ok, I'm wrong, keep fishing the cable pool.  ;)

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

I think the season must be slow. Was at Keith Rd last week at first light and fished it all the way to Marine Drive area. Not a fish in sight with about a dozen fishermen.

lucas

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »

I have been out five times in the last two weeks,same thing havent  even seen a fish jump yet,last year i was catching fish in April ,could be slow year!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »

Too bad. Hope the fish are late. Just not too late though, otherwise they will end up being scooped up in the lower river by the natives when the river drops. ;)

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »

I sure hope it's not like last year when tons of fish went stale at the mouth of the Cap as they could not move up the river. It was a sad sight to see.

soliak

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »

Went out this morning. Absolutely jam packed with people and 0 fish. Was fishing spoons, spinners and shrimp. There are coho up in the hatchery though. Going to go back tomorrow morning and see if I can land one.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »

Went out this morning. Absolutely jam packed with people and 0 fish. Was fishing spoons, spinners and shrimp. There are coho up in the hatchery though. Going to go back tomorrow morning and see if I can land one.

Same thing a few hours ago. A whole lot of people but absolutely nothing to show for it.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »

Yes. Seen a lot fishermen left with long faces . o well , is fishing not hooking . Lets get use of it.  :'( :'(

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »

Guess Im one of the lucky ones 8)  My question  .  How long do the hoes take to make it up to cable. I know conditions vary times but then why do they say to watch the tides to see when the push is.  And how far will that tidal push actually take em on the river.  I noticed a push an hour or so after low tide but I was high on the river. 
The litte guy I caught look like scales were starting to deteriate my guess he was in the river for a couple days yet he was in the push up