Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Mouth Bass - A day away from the salmon crowds  (Read 12294 times)

Rybar

Re: Small Mouth Bass - A day away from the salmon crowds
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »

I'd like to know as well. I've caught Smallmouth recently in Osoyoos lake and St Mary's Lake. I love the way they smash the bait and fight like crazy. Very fun fish to catch. I tried eating one from Osoyoos and found it to be not bad at all.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

I'd like to know as well. I've caught Smallmouth recently in Osoyoos lake and St Mary's Lake. I love the way they smash the bait and fight like crazy. Very fun fish to catch. I tried eating one from Osoyoos and found it to be not bad at all.

Smallies fight WAY better than largemouth. The fight is not even comparable. Smallies are amazing fish to play. Largemouths not as much. I will still target largies when their really is nothing else to do but they are not one of the better game fish to play.

On another note. We have been fighting that 4 fish limit for a few years now with letters, emails etc but it seems its falling on deaf ears by the government. It should be either no limit or 25/day like other coarse fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

minsyoo

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »

this thread has convinced me to go look for some bass myself.  ;)

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »

The spot I had the best success with is a 15 minute walk down the first path to the south at the very end of the parking lot. Look beside the caretakers trailer, in between where the seasonal cafe is, there's a trail heading south, heavily brushed in, that's what you want.

You'll see several small pools along the way, but you know you've hit the best one, on your left, when you see the old retaining wall made of cinder blocks. Room to fish for just 2 guys. The empty dew worm containers are always a  good sign :(

If you have a canoe, there's an even better option: stop at the gate 1 km before the parking lot and launch up the system of sloughs to the south; you'll find it comes out into a large interconnected series of pools that are pefect for isolated fishing with very good results (if you like aggressive sportfish).

Tight lines.

minsyoo

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »

what kind of gear is generally used for fishing for them? do you use baits? or..?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »

Yo where in the lower mainland can you fish for bass???? i'm starting to look into it. :)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »

what kind of gear is generally used for fishing for them? do you use baits? or..?
Trout spinning gear and various lures, topwater is the most exciting but they don't always go for that stuff.

There's a lot of Bass info here on the Forum if you do a search and on the main page  some articles/videos as well IIRC.

ion

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

Google earth coordinates would be great :)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »

Hang on, i'll post a picture the lilly pad (with GPS coordinates) that I caught a 5lber under a couple days ago.

???

Or you can check out bassfishingbc.com for more information.

Preliator

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »

This is great to know. I've only been year about a year, but use to do a ton of bass fishing when I lived in Ontario and often miss fishing them. Prehaps I'll spend my Monday afternoon and evening navigating the Alouette to hook into some of those glorious fish.

noxcape

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »

for more info you can also check out the wcba.ca website there is a forum on there and the guys are great guys to talka bout bass with and they will give you alot of help

whereismyfloat

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »

noxcape,

the wcba.ca website appear to no longer be working? any idea if it's gone for good or just shut down for a reno?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »

noxcape,

the wcba.ca website appear to no longer be working? any idea if it's gone for good or just shut down for a reno?
I swear it was working last week.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 09:46:23 AM »

bassfishingbc.com is a much more active board.

fish fishburn

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 04:46:13 AM »

I've only ever eaten Smallmouth-is there a discernible difference in taste between Smallies and Largemouth?

Whaddaya think?
[/   quote]  Smallmouth are alot stronger in taste then the largemouth. I think its because of there diet. I have eaten both many times and prefer a largemouth bass any day.