Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scientists Concerned  (Read 9364 times)

absolon

• Old Timer
Re: Scientists Concerned
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »

(This was a joke.)

.....but not a very good one..........

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »

"I've had education directly related to the subject and broad first hand experience in the sector in the past so I'm basing my views on information I know to be factual."

When taken into consideation of the small area of old style dirty fish farming I believe you meant. Not when based on newer ways of farming salmon. Or other aquaculture as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »

Can you repeat that in coherent English?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

why  :)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »

Cause it makes you look like a tool.... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »

So we can tell if you are an oyster producing pearls of wisdom or just another dung beetle rolling up little brown balls.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »

So we can tell if you are an oyster producing pearls of wisdom or just another dung beetle rolling up little brown balls.

Lol...Absolon said DUNG...... :o

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »

No need to apologize, I'm not shy about explaining my views. I've had education directly related to the subject and broad first hand experience in the sector in the past so I'm basing my views on information I know to be factual, I'm well aware of the real issues and I have some tools to assist my understanding of them.

Because of that, I'm a lot less susceptible to the misleading critical rhetoric about the industry and the people who run and regulate it than I would be if I'd never seen a real salmon farm or studied the associated biology, a condition that commonly afflicts those who are the most vocal critics of the industry.

Your education is only as good as the those who write the books you read.
Don't forget that.

Educated elites believed that sun was rotating around the earth and the earth was flat because that's what they read in the books.
Until some un-educated dumbass said I don't believe you; and went to prove it for himself.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »

Don't forget that.

Educated elites believed that sun was rotating around the earth and the earth was flat because that's what they read in the books.
Until some un-educated individual said I don't believe you and went to prove it for himself.

Lol....stop it you make me laugh..... ;D

Wonder what books Morton read....

banx

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »

bassonator.... adriaticum is correct on that. 16th century scientists didn't believe rocks could fall from the sky. what you consider 'fact'  may not be so in the very near future.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:33:37 AM by banx »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

Don't forget that.

Until some un-educated dumbass said I don't believe you; and went to prove it for himself.

Couple of comments:

-Education involves considerably more than just reading books.

-It is telling that you need to reach so far back in time for an example of heretics rewriting the rules. It is also telling that you neglect to consider that most discoveries of the nature you described were a result of someone applying a primitive version of the scientific method, a process that didn't really come into play in an evolved form until the 18th and 19th century, to discount knowledge based on superstition.

-what's good for the goose is also good for the gander. Discount my education and you also discount the education of everyone including those who attack salmon farms. That is an inevitable consequence since we all start from the same body of knowledge that has been building since the scientific method began to be applied as the standard procedure for expanding knowledge. We might just as well go back to throwing the bones to obtain pertinent answers if you choose to do that. In some specific instances where the opposition to the collected knowledge is based on dire predictions and unproven accusations of both malfeasance and conspiracy, it appears that is precisely what is being done.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »

Couple of comments:

-Education involves considerably more than just reading books.

-It is telling that you need to reach so far back in time for an example of heretics rewriting the rules. It is also telling that you neglect to consider that most discoveries of the nature you described were a result of someone applying a primitive version of the scientific method, a process that didn't really come into play in an evolved form until the 18th and 19th century, to discount knowledge based on superstition.

-what's good for the goose is also good for the gander. Discount my education and you also discount the education of everyone including those who attack salmon farms. That is an inevitable consequence since we all start from the same body of knowledge that has been building since the scientific method began to be applied as the standard procedure for expanding knowledge. We might just as well go back to throwing the bones to obtain pertinent answers if you choose to do that. In some specific instances where the opposition to the collected knowledge is based on dire predictions and unproven accusations of both malfeasance and conspiracy, it appears that is precisely what is being done.

- It wasn't a primitive scientific method. For that time it was a top notch scientific method. Just like your scientific method is top notch for this time and will be primitive 100 years from now.

All I'm saying is anyone dealing in absolutes, like some scientists do, don't really understand the depth of their stupidity.
In other words all you know is what is being fed to you. Unless you have discovered it on your own, which most scientists don't have opportunity to do.
Unfortunately there is no law that puts scientist in jail for propagating falsehoods or protecting their own interests and there should be.
If it's ever discovered that DFO or any regulatory body covered up and hid evidence of problems with fish farms to protect their jobs, I would like to grind them all into fertilizer for rivers so that at least that way they be of some benefit to the environment.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »

- It wasn't a primitive scientific method. For that time it was a top notch scientific method. Just like your scientific method is top notch for this time and will be primitive 100 years from now.

Think about what you've just said here. If it happened hundreds of years ago, it was, as you've acknowledged, a primitive method. The jist of my point was that scientific method was being applied against superstition; thus the opportunity for substantial differences between the received wisdom and the provable truth.

All I'm saying is anyone dealing in absolutes, like some scientists do, don't really understand the depth of their stupidity.
In other words all you know is what is being fed to you. Unless you have discovered it on your own, which most scientists don't have opportunity to do.
Unfortunately there is no law that puts scientist in jail for propagating falsehoods or protecting their own interests and there should be.
If it's ever discovered that DFO or any regulatory body covered up and hid evidence of problems with fish farms to protect their jobs, I would like to grind them all into fertilizer for rivers so that at least that way they be of some benefit to the environment.

Your suggestion starts from the manufactured premise that there is malfeasance and a conspiracy, a substitute amongst the reactionaries for any kind of evidence. To be equitable, I would suggest that law be broadened to apply to self-righteous activists and that they also should be candidates for grinding up to fertilize the rivers.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »

To be equitable, I would suggest that law be broadened to apply to self-righteous activists and that they also should be candidates for grinding up to fertilize the rivers.

I do agree with that.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

talk about having blinders on....... ::) now were grinding up people who don't have the same bumps on their head as fish farming righteous :)