Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yellow backing line, mistake?  (Read 4959 times)

BirdNester

Yellow backing line, mistake?
« on: August 05, 2004, 12:01:05 AM »

When I first bought my setup I wanted to get a color of fishing line that I could see. I noticed fishing with clear mono that I could never see where my line was. Was buying the yellow braided stuff a mistake? You think the fish can see it or am I looking for excuses? I like it, cause I can see it, I just don't want Mr. Spring in the Vedder to see it.
RobertO

Bantam_50

Re:Yellow backing line, mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 12:03:51 AM »

You'll probably dampen you're success rate even more and only catch the ones wearing blinkers or with cataracts.  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 12:31:11 AM »

You will never catch a fish using yellow braided line. Package them up and ship it to me for disposal :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 12:51:16 AM »

Actually, I hate yellow. I'm helping a fellow angler get rid of unwanted line ! :D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 07:19:46 AM »

I don't think it will make a difference on the Fraser, but yes for the Vedder. The water is clear there and yes,  the fish will be able to see it. Will scare the S#@T out of them.
Stick with mono or a grey colored Fireline on the Vedder.
That's my 2 cents worth.  ;D

So, they don't mind the big hunk of lead or the swivel floating through?  But they care about the colour of your mainline?  ???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 08:15:25 AM »

When I fish the fraser and the vedder in the same day I take one rod...the one with 50lb braid.

With a blood knot I attached 6-10 feet of 15-20lb mono.  I put 3-4 twists on each side of the blood kot and its still small enough to pass thru the small tube in the floats I use.

As long as there is mostly mono under the float I dont find the braid on top is a bad thing, infact on 3 trips I outfished my buddy ussing 12lb main and 10lb leader!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 01:23:58 PM »

I don't think it will make a difference on the Fraser, but yes for the Vedder. The water is clear there and yes,  the fish will be able to see it. Will scare the S#@T out of them.
Stick with mono or a grey colored Fireline on the Vedder.
That's my 2 cents worth.  ;D

So, they don't mind the big hunk of lead or the swivel floating through?  But they care about the colour of your mainline?  ???

Are the big hunk of lead and swivel in direct proximity to your presentation? Of course line colour matters.  Would you bite into something you saw a long yellow piece of string to?

I am assuming that one would be using a LEADER between main (yellow) and hook.   That leader would be the line weight of your choice.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 02:54:48 PM »

Ah, well, then THAT might make a difference  ::)

BirdNester

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 09:06:40 PM »

Ofcourse I'm using a leader.. a long one too!! The leader is 10-14lb mono. You hear that boys, I said a LOOONNNGG LEADER  ;D
RobertO

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 09:09:08 PM »

Ofcourse I'm using a leader.. a long one too!! The leader is 10-14lb mono. You hear that boys, I said a LOOONNNGG LEADER  ;D
RobertO

Long leader!!! AHHHHHHHH  ;D