Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You all NEED to see this !!  (Read 6535 times)

Morty

You all NEED to see this !!
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »

You need to watch this is you have any interest at all in sockeye fishing on the Fraser

http://www.callingfromthecoast.org/

I believe that everyone in the Lower Mainland will be interested in this.
Lets do something !
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: You all NEED to see this !!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:46:21 PM »

Morty they removed it... it says video is no longer available

bee tee

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »

The video works on my computer . Sad to see . The fry don`t stand much of a chance for survival with that many lice in the ocean .

When will the government get it ?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

I think the government is "getting it" in the form of massive backdoor payola by the fish farms...

And what we (and the wild salmon) get is the shaft. Norwegian corporations make off with all the money.

>:(
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »

I think the government is "getting it" in the form of massive backdoor payola by the fish farms...

And what we (and the wild salmon) get is the shaft. Norwegian corporations make off with all the money.

>:(
Nicole

aYup!
:'(

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:31:54 AM »

Very informative video. Alll those who care about the plight of salmon in our waters should watch this video. I have heard about arguements for global warming, and overfishing contributing to the demise of certain species, but certainly one cannot rule out other causes such as the sea lice. They have presented a strong arguement with regard to that. If we had strong governments who really cared about the resource, then all fish farm operations would be suspended, or bought out and done away with. At this point, anything we can do to help restore and insure the survival of young salmon should be undertaken. However, at this rate if nothing is done, future generations of Canadians will read about the great salmon runs that once occurred in B.C., as those runs will be gone.

Morty

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »

Supporting each other in our disgust won't change much.   I believe that all the salmmon species are interdependent and if we lose Sockeye and/or Pinks on the Fraser watershed all right through to Steelhead will be effected.

Everyone involved here needs to take some move-forward action - Everyone includes: Rec fishers, F.N, Guides, tackle shops, commercial guys (and maybe even Tim Hortons)

Without the slamon we'll even lose our incentive to bicker about BB'ing

SO... what are YOU going to DO ?

personally, I'm sending this video link to everyone i know that has any influence - and I believe that you all have influence as well !!!

(remember the Nike slogan)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »

Absolutely appalling and the government and DFO sit with their fingers up their butts while the salmon stocks disappear. The narrators
last words still echo in my mind like some terrible death knell, "They don't come home". We are all pretty well aware that the reason for our gov.'s inaction is because they are lining their pockets with donations from fish farms and other back door deals and I'm sure a few more that I've never heard about. We all as one. All as one nation of people that care about our fish, need to act and we need to act Now. I'm contacting my MLA and whomever I can that will listen and I'm getting my my friend moving on this. Every thing we can do
helps and like one tiny snowball rolling down the mountain we as one people who care will be heard as a large avalanche of voices that must and will be noticed when this is over. For us, for our children and for their children, don't just sit there and nod your head and agree with what you're reading and then do nothing. What a terrible waste that would be. One letter, one e-mail, one phone call. I remember Terry Fox and how he made us all stand up and notice and made us proud to be Canadian but most importantly made us realize what a difference one person can make. If we don't do this how do we look at ourselves in the mirror when this is all over and their all gone, and say I care.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 10:07:44 AM »

Very sad story. If we want to make the government react to this, we need to build a strong public awareness.

The Internet is a big leveraging factor. Does anybody know if there's any website for protecting Salmon species in BC? (Something like www.ourrivers.ca) If there's already one, we can all contribute to that and start sending out emails/messages to all our friends and neighbors and DO something. This government will not do anything until the pressure is high.

And I completely agree with Athezone on the need for a leadership and a strategic plan to tackle this issue. I believe we need to focus our efforts on building public awareness TODAY before it's too late. Just take a look at the # of returning salmon in the past 5 years and see how fast it's decreasing. We don't have too much time to sit and nod our heads. What are we leaving for our next generation?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:14:39 AM by RainbowMan »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 10:35:03 AM »

Here it is:

http://savebcsalmon.ca/

I just found it on Google and don't know anything about the people operating this website. There's an online petition that you can sign and submit to the Premier. Maybe it's just a good starting point and it only costs you 1 Min of your time.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »

It disgusts me that this continues to happen...the research these groups do is very telling but nothing is changing...it makes so incredibly angry that our government continues to passively sit by.

goinfishin

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »

Morty they removed it... it says video is no longer available

I had this problem too, but if you open it in firefox it should play. I've been having this problem with IE and youtube for a while now..

fish_on

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »

Everyone (all those that fish for salmon) reading this should be very concern. It's disgusting to read that 95% ofyoun wild salmon are killed by farm-lice!

Thanks to Rainbowman for the link, the 'SOS Salmon' is on the top right hand corner of the page. I've have just send my petition. Please do your part.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »

The video works on my computer . Sad to see . The fry don`t stand much of a chance for survival with that many lice in the ocean .

When will the government get it ?
oh yeah they got it alright.......its just not important as something else to them.........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ::)

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »

Thanks for the video - it explained very well the impact of the lice and the returning salmon. Very sad - I hope a solution is available to prevent further infection of the salmon stocks!