Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A day in the life of a CO  (Read 4916 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Burbot

Re: A day in the life of a CO
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 03:49:28 AM »

Government seems to have loads of moola for corporate welfare bums and the rest of us is not a priority.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »

Or paying a full fledged gun carrying VPD officer to hide behind a sign at the top of boundary beside the turn lane onto the #1 at Grandview.

Rush hour, traffic lined up to get onto the freeway for blocks.  He can pop out, walk down and hand out tickets for texting.  Poor SOBs texting their husbands and wifes saying "sorry hun, traffic is a b1tch today, I'll pick up milk on the way home".

They just finished a shift at work, 50% of that money earned will be skimmed off the top.

But you are a CRIMINAL!  $150+ points for you.  HOW DARE YOU!  Didn't you know distracted driving leads to X Y & Z!!!

How is this justifiable...I have no idea.

Oh, right, money cash cow under the guise of 'public safety'.

We should thank them for keeping us safe.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:16 PM »

Or paying a full fledged gun carrying VPD officer to hide behind a sign at the top of boundary beside the turn lane onto the #1 at Grandview.

Rush hour, traffic lined up to get onto the freeway for blocks.  He can pop out, walk down and hand out tickets for texting.  Poor SOBs texting their husbands and wifes saying "sorry hun, traffic is a b1tch today, I'll pick up milk on the way home".

They just finished a shift at work, 50% of that money earned will be skimmed off the top.

But you are a CRIMINAL!  $150+ points for you.  HOW DARE YOU!  Didn't you know distracted driving leads to X Y & Z!!!

This is a pretty specific, off topic reply. But here we are. I nearly get hit on a bi-weekly basis from people on their phone on my motorcycle in traffic. I see people get rear ended in stop n go traffic by people looking at their phone. The cop doesn't know you are only doing it stopped, nor should it matter.

Anyway, good article. Humble is as humble does, just wish we could find them further. Perhaps out votes can help.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »

Sure hope Civil Forfeiture doesn't work this way in Canada.

RyanB

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »

Good article.  I have a lot of respect for COs. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:36:29 PM »

Sure hope Civil Forfeiture doesn't work this way in Canada.

It is

If no conviction or finding of unlawful activity
18  In proceedings under section 3 or 14.11, an unlawful activity may be found to have occurred even if

(a) no person has been charged with an offence that constitutes the unlawful activity, or
(b) a person charged with an offence that constitutes the unlawful activity was acquitted of all charges in proceedings before a criminal court or the charges are withdrawn or stayed or otherwise do not proceed.

Determination respecting proceeds of unlawful activity
19  In proceedings under section 3 or 14.11, proof that a person

(a) participated in an unlawful activity that resulted in or is likely to have resulted in the person receiving a financial benefit, and
(b) subsequently did one or more of the following:
(i)   acquired the whole or the portion of an interest in property that is the subject of the proceedings;
(ii)   caused an increase in the value of the interest or the portion of the interest in property that is the subject of the proceedings;
(iii)   caused a decrease of a debt obligation secured against the interest or the portion of the interest in property that is the subject of the proceedings,
is proof, in absence of evidence to the contrary, that the whole or the portion of the interest in property that is the subject of the proceedings is proceeds of unlawful activity as a result of the unlawful activity referred to in paragraph (a).

But I also read a lot about forfeiture Orders. Which make me think it cant just be taken from you. But Im not sure

If I have a gun, the cops can take it, without an order. Its illegal (say a fully auto concealed handgun!)

If I have bear spray at the movies, they will take it, no orders. Its legal, but intent isnt there. So its found as a weapon and taken.

If I have $10,000 and they think Im gonna buy drugs, will they need an order? Its legal, but found to be for illegal use, I assume they would take it.

If I use my rod to poach fish, they would take it. Its legal, but its use was illegal.

From this, I guess its exactly the same. They CAN take what they want, if they think you will use is for an unlawful act. If anyone wants to read and reread the act and clarify, feel free.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_05029_01
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:42:57 PM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

StillAqua

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »

Got caught eh?  Bummer.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »

Got caught eh?  Bummer.
Caught doing what? Oh. Damien. Not Danjohn. Sorry. I just said the name! But, I do agree, put your phone down. Youre not that important. Or accept the cost of using it, and risking the well being of others. 

I have recently been reading a lot of acts. Ive never looked at this, but the John Oliver vid was interesting.

More so, the Motor Vehicle Act has some really fun stuff in it!

Starting vehicle
169  A person must not move a vehicle that is stopped, standing or parked unless the movement can be made with reasonable safety and he or she first gives the appropriate signal under section 171 or 172.

Means of signalling
171  (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a signal is required a driver must give it by means of

(a) his or her hand and arm,
(b) a signal lamp of a type approved by the director, or
(c) a mechanical device of a type approved by the director.
(2) When a vehicle is constructed or loaded in a manner that makes a signal by hand and arm not visible both to its front and rear, or a body or load extends more than 60 cm to the left of the centre of the steering wheel, a driver must give signals as provided by subsection (1) (b) or (c), and a person must not drive the motor vehicle on a highway unless it is so equipped.
Left hand drive signals
172  (1) When a driver of a left hand drive vehicle gives a signal by hand and arm, the driver must do so from the left side, and must signify

(a) a left turn by extending his or her left hand and arm horizontally from the vehicle,
(b) a right turn by extending his or her left hand and arm out and upward from the vehicle, and
(c) a stop or decrease in speed by extending his or her left hand and arm out and downward from the vehicle.
(2) A person must not drive a right hand drive vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with a mechanical or electrical signalling device approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.

The only thing I can think is that the brake lights of a vehicle turning off signals movements. But what if you dont fully release the brakes and crawl? Then no signal to begin moving. Theres a fine!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:50:36 PM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

doja

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »

Caught doing what? Oh. Damien. Not Danjohn. Sorry. I just said the name! But, I do agree, put your phone down. Youre not that important. Or accept the cost of using it, and risking the well being of others. 

I have recently been reading a lot of acts. Ive never looked at this, but the John Oliver vid was interesting.

More so, the Motor Vehicle Act has some really fun stuff in it!

Starting vehicle
169  A person must not move a vehicle that is stopped, standing or parked unless the movement can be made with reasonable safety and he or she first gives the appropriate signal under section 171 or 172.

Means of signalling
171  (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a signal is required a driver must give it by means of

(a) his or her hand and arm,
(b) a signal lamp of a type approved by the director, or
(c) a mechanical device of a type approved by the director.
(2) When a vehicle is constructed or loaded in a manner that makes a signal by hand and arm not visible both to its front and rear, or a body or load extends more than 60 cm to the left of the centre of the steering wheel, a driver must give signals as provided by subsection (1) (b) or (c), and a person must not drive the motor vehicle on a highway unless it is so equipped.
Left hand drive signals
172  (1) When a driver of a left hand drive vehicle gives a signal by hand and arm, the driver must do so from the left side, and must signify

(a) a left turn by extending his or her left hand and arm horizontally from the vehicle,
(b) a right turn by extending his or her left hand and arm out and upward from the vehicle, and
(c) a stop or decrease in speed by extending his or her left hand and arm out and downward from the vehicle.
(2) A person must not drive a right hand drive vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with a mechanical or electrical signalling device approved by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.

The only thing I can think is that the brake lights of a vehicle turning off signals movements. But what if you dont fully push the brakes and crawl? Then no signal to begin moving. Theres a fine!

You first..  must push the brake in... Thus signalling,   Lol but I do get what you are say as some guy could sit on his brakes for an extended period of time but common sense dictates that a cars brake lights indicates it has the potential to move and caution should be exercised around it. Now bicycle riders should use hand signals...  None do,  lol

Day time running lights add to the safty factor and car manufactures take these into car designs.  Remember,  these laws were writing long,  long ago.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:39:57 PM by doja »

catch

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »

One thing I found interesting:  here's the quote:
"It is illegal to fire a gun within 800 metres either side of the centre line of Chilliwack River Road, yet it happens every weekend all summer long."

Please view page 36 of 2014-2016 hunting and trapping regulations synopsis Map B3.  Also the Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting Licence 2014-2015 shows the same area.  Shot only area. Both maps appear contradict that 800m area it seems. Hmm I could be wrong. Did I miss something here?

Thanks.

Sorry this is a bit off topic for a fishing forum. But I did find the link to this here  ;)