Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Late Monster sox run, fact or myth?  (Read 8648 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Late Monster sox run, fact or myth?
« on: August 20, 2005, 06:15:33 PM »

I was waching the 6 oclock news just now and a commercial fishermen(or women to be correct) was talking about how the FN latley have been catching fish by the thousands and not hundreads. She also said that there is a monster run just near the river and is rdy to enter that should open up fishing for comercial and recriational. Anyone heard about this i hope its true because even a week of sox would be heaven right now.
[

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: Late Monster sox run, fact or myth?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:18:56 PM »

That was shot down by work and i have watched it happen all week long!It takes no more then a 10 minute drift and the net is full >:(

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 06:25:21 PM »

was in Steveston today and counted at least 10 different boats drifting nets in a short span of the river, Im guessing there must be a good number of fish to let that many boats target them.

Bantam_50

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 11:42:11 PM »

Why is it that people from this site continue to ...  hope, pray, heard from someone, suffer from withdrawls? or whatever .... that the Fraser should be , might be or why isn't  it open to sockeye fishing. >:(

It sickens me that those here (you know who you are ) can not just let it go.  :-[

These runs have been pounded and abused for long enough ...whether it be FN, commercial or sport. Yes I said sport. Who'll be the first to  quote sport numbers, stating I don't know chit. ???

Seriously ...if you are that upset and suffering withdrawls because DFO hasn't given you the green light to release your primevil instincts ...you're in serious need of therapy.

God help them sockeye if DFO gives the sporties an opening. It'll be like vultures to fresh road kill. ::)  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 11:55:42 PM »

But is it OK for First Nations to be fishing it to extinction ? I think what most people are complaining about the lack of fairness. If the sockeyes are threatened as DFO would like us to believe then the river should be closed to all users.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 01:06:03 AM »

Why is it that people from this site continue to ...  hope, pray, heard from someone, suffer from withdrawls? or whatever .... that the Fraser should be , might be or why isn't  it open to sockeye fishing. >:(

And why is it when one poster in the entire thread mentioned that he would like to fish for sockeye, you had to generalize by turning it into people from this site?

And do some research on the original poster. His age is 18. When I was 18, all I wanted to do was catch fish, as many as possible. What were you doing when you were 18?

Obviously we all know where this is going. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 01:21:51 AM »

And about the segment shown tonight on Global, it was somewhat of a one-sided view (commercial) as they were the only ones interviewed. The overspawning theory is absolutely rediculous as I have explained in this previous post.

Bantam_50

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 01:29:51 AM »

And why is it when one poster in the entire thread mentioned that he would like to fish for sockeye, you had to generalize by turning it into people from this site?

And do some research on the original poster. His age is 18. When I was 18, all I wanted to do was catch fish, as many as possible. What were you doing when you were 18?

Obviously we all know where this is going. ::)

I wasn't picking on that original poster ... especially when 2 followed his lead. The last few weeks have been endless threads and postings questioning when is the opening Mean while there's been allot of info posted stating our stocks could be in trouble. Why not get our priorities straight here Rod. You asked me to be straight forward ... I'm doing exactly that. How about you quite being like a mother hen defending her clutch.

As for what was I doing when I was 18?  Fishing (not snagging,when I'm informed) a bar on Queensborough Is. Hunting ducks in the fall. Except for a brief time when a 2 legged dear distracted me ... but when she meat hooked me from not attending the Sun Salmon Derby ... well lets say she got Lui'd. :D

I guess it goes whereever it likes to.  :-\

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 02:15:48 AM »

Simply put.  If DFO doesn't give a damn about the sockeye stock and let one interest group to abuse it. Why shall others stand at
sideline and not have the opportunity?

I wouldn't mind not have the sockeye fishery open to help the stock, IF all interest groups are reframed from catching and let those
fish get to their spawning ground.

However, when a favourism is in place than really, why should tothers suffer?

For commercial fishery their license is not cheap and majority of those salmon trollers their yearly income depends on salmon fishery openings. What about their hardship?

Further for some retired people, CPP and social fare just isn't enough to keep up with the ever increasing goods price tag.  Some of them actualy rely on the fish they catch for their meal.

But, when they start to expoit the natural resource and their 'needs' includes modern technologies.  I think it's time to move on. Reserves was origional established to allow places for FN to live their 'natural way' meaning hunting, fishing, and live their peaceful none materialism ways.  But look at what they have these days?

The lower mainland FN reserves, they live in construction similar to you and I.  They drive autos similar to you and I. They navigate the waters in boats better than most of you and I. Many works outside of the reserve.  Personally I dont see the need of reserves in these urban areas, it's a joke.

Land claims? Another joke.  All FN people are naturalist, and peace loving?  Another joke.  Iroqois fights other tribes frequently they even eliminated one tribe in Newfoundland.

I'm not saying that all FN people are bad either.  One of our family long time friend is a FN.

Bantam_50

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 02:53:41 AM »

Yes BwiBwi,

The solution is simple depending on what society wants.

1) Close it to all harvest until a justifiable harvest strategy is implemented.

2) Open it right up unregulated, catch every last one. Then dam it and sell the power, sell minerals exploration rights ....

Both have economically sound backing.  ::)

I'm sure we'd all make the right choice.  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 04:03:21 AM »

I sure hope a right decision is made.
But with one that is lobsided is just not acceptable.
Equality is what what the 'western worlds' is suppose to be.

buck

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 11:47:41 AM »

Blinkhorn sockeye seine - 2 sets - 16913 sockeye

Reef Nets - 2625 sockeye

No fish ?

Salmon Commission test fishing info.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 03:57:11 PM »

Batman 50 your exactly the type of moron i hate on these forums who dosent read or understand the title of the topic. I didnt start this topic to hear your complaining or views on the sockey statues, i have noticed the forum has alot of people like you know who start arguments in threads instead of posting the informating people are looking for in their questions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:00:28 PM by Floater »
[

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »

johnstone strait area 12 purse seine test fishery yesterday shows that for a total of 12 sets the numbers of adult fraser sockeye were 9,625 pieces (adults) for 1st 6 sets (total numbers)  and 7,288 pieces (adults) for 2nd set of 6 sets,

if those numbers continue over next few days we are indeed looking at a HUGE number of sox on the way and yes, EXTREMELY late.
if recreation openings do not come, we should indeed be very Pissed off

To get this info for yourself, I went to google and typed, sockeye test fishery results 2005, and clicked on the pacific salmon comission site.

chump

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »

we will defo see an opening announced soon, im 100% guaranteing it<< for what that means    those are the highest #s ive ever heard for soxs