Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage LE vs. St. Croix Pro  (Read 14708 times)

Roots

Sage LE vs. St. Croix Pro
« on: May 26, 2005, 05:05:33 PM »

I did it. I've finally gathered enough wit to try fly-fishing. Has anyone had experience with either the Sage LE or the St. Croix Pro?

For my first fly setup I'm looking for something that won't blow my budget, but at the same time for something that I won't have to upgrade later on when I get some experience. I've heard both of these companies are well regarded and just wanted a professional opinion. Is a 6wt universal enough to handle trout, pinks & small Coho? Also, any recommendations of a modestly priced reel?

Right now Berry's is selling the LE for around $150. Is this a reasonable price ?

Thanks for the help ....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 11:09:06 PM by Roots »

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Sage LE vs. St. Croix Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 07:08:07 PM »

In comparing the two rods you describe, the Sage Le is a faster action rod than the St. Croix Pro. I think faster action rods are more versatile than slower rods cause they allow the user to fish in a greater variety of conditions, such as wind or size of flies. If you are just comparing those two rods, I would choose the Sage Le. I hope you realize that Sage has discontinued the Le series and has replaced it with the Launch series.
The Launch series retails at around $200 and is asthectically more pleasing than the Le series. I particularily like 5wts and lower wt rods in the series. They feel really light and responsive, which will perform well for trout fishing. I think the Launch series are a superb value for a fast action rod that has an unconditional lifetime warranty.
A fast 6wt rod should have enough power to handle pinks and small coho salmon in certain conditions, such as estuaries and sloughs. A fish over 10lbs maybe too much of a work out with a 6wt though.

Roots

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:58:11 AM »

Any experience with a Fenwick HMX? There are so many brands out there the whole process of choosing a fly outfit for a beginner is quite daunting. Any recommendations on where to buy a setup without loosing an arm and a leg?

Also, I noticed that fly-rods come in different # of pieces. Are the 'travel' 4-piece rods as strong as the 2-piece ones, and do they cast the same? I hike a lot and wouldn't mind paying a little extra if I can take it with me on a multiday trek without poking an eye out. Overall, is it worth buying a travel rod instead of the standard 2-piece? What do you guys think?

johnny

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 04:05:34 PM »

I used to be a big fan of St Croix until I experienced their service...

Needless to say my last rod certainly was NOT a St Croix.

A little customer service goes a LONG way! If only people would remember that.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 05:34:17 PM »

I prefer "travel" rods over the traditional 2pc rods because they are more versatile, a 4 pc rod can be taken down just like a 2pc if your in a boat or walking down a trail, or completely taken down to 4 pcs for airline travel. People think "travel" rods are more fragile than the regular 2pc because of the extra ferrules, but with todays blank materials and engineering they are just as strong. I haven't noticed any big difference with casting a 4pc over a 2pc, except that some manufacture's rods are a bit stiffer in the 4pc versions of the same model of rods.
The Sage Launch series come in "travel" versions too  ;)

di0nysus

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »

As far as I know, Sage is the only rod company that gives a lifetime warranty.  So if you ever break it, they'll just ship you a new one.  How can you beat that?  I think you'll be more than happy with any sage rod.

I've got a 4 piece sage 4 weight and really like it. It's a fast action rod, and it even handles a 5weight line really well. 

To get a better idea what weight you should get you might want to be more specific about where you want to fish.  If I'm fishing for pinks or coho in the Squamish/Mamquam, then I'll bring my 8 weight, and get a good fight even out of the pinks.  In fast moving water you usually need to use weighted flies, and heavy sink tips, all of which are easier to cast with a heavier rod.  If you'll be fishing for coho in the esturaries you could probalby go lighter.  For the small trout we get in the lower mainland lakes I like to use my 4 weight, but it can be a bitch to cast in the wind.  For the larger interior trout, a 6 weight is ideal.  All that doesn't really solve your dilema though. I would say that if trout are your priority, get a 6 weight, but if you'll be on the river a lot for salmon you might want to step up to a 7 if possible, but I wouldn't go heavier for an all-arounder.   

Oh, and get a large arbor real.  They're great.  I was pretty impressed with the Fenwick large arbor, especially for the price (don't remember the model).   

good luck.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 08:38:56 PM »

My first "new" fly rod was a Loop rod. 3 pc, 7/8 wt. Not sure how much it cost me, but I've taken salmon on it on the rivers, and some salt-water fish in the tropics. An all round great rod for what I paid for it. My first reel was a BFR 375 (I think). Filled it with a clear sink-tip line, used it so good success in the rivers. Then upgraded to a Commaron 4 (made by Ross Reels) and a multi-tip system. No complaints. I like it quite a bit and will be taking it travelling with me.

As for the warrenty, it's a 2 year unimited warrenty, and after that you have to pay for parts, and that's it.

Just something else to consider.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Roots

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 11:07:46 PM »

Thanks for all the advice guys! I just stopped by and had a look at the Sage Launch and the Sage Le. Both seem really nice, but I like the faster action on the Launch. Also looked at the 4-piece and so far this is looking like something I'm interested in.  :D

I was surprised how similar the 2-piece and the 4-piece felt compared to other brands. Still undecided on the weight, but I'll probably go with a 6wt. Maybe one day when I get good enough to fish the Mamquam I'll upgrade to something in the heavier class. Well it's still a long way... nice to dream i guess...

I haven't had a chance to check out the Loop rods. I'll check them out next time I visit a shop. Thanks for the input guys! Now I don't feel so confused  ;) ...

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 11:22:47 PM »

Hey Roots, I was saying the same thing after I bought my first fly rod. I'll wait until I get better until I go for something bigger. By that stage, I felt confortable taking on those bigger fish on the same rod, it's more fun that way (and if you have a warrenty, it doesn't cost you anything either :P ) But once you start, you'll be hooked.

As far as the "dream" goes, I felt that I got to that level pretty fast, so once you start, you cast and get used to it often and the learning curve dissappeares pretty quick if you're comfortable with the rod you have.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Roots

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 11:51:16 PM »

Well, at least my student loans are finally gonna go to good use ...  ;D

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:15:47 PM »

. Is a 6wt universal enough to handle trout, pinks & small Coho? Also, any recommendations of a modestly priced reel?

Right now Berry's is selling the LE for around $150. Is this a reasonable price ?

Thanks for the help ....

Sure 6wt is fine for all those things, might be a little over kill on trout but for salmon that's all i use but a sage XP. For coho in local rivers you won't need much more rod then that anyways. And chucking heavy tips is a non factor , cause if you are using that heavy sink tips you are fishing the wrong waters for coho anyways.
I would spend a little more and get the launch though..the LE is not a very good rod.

Roots

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 02:52:02 PM »

I just decided to to go for a 6wt 4-pc Sage Launch and now I just have to pick a reel. I was looking at a Dragonfly Kamloops and a Sage 1201/1401, are these ok startup reels?

What are large 'arbor' reels? Are they just a bigger version of a fly reel?

This week I'll be fly shop hopping in search of a good package. There's so much eyecandy in fly shops that it's really better to make a shopping list in advance.  :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 11:36:57 AM by Roots »

Roots

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 03:10:20 PM »

Just figured out what large arbor reels are.... nevermind  :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 11:36:13 AM by Roots »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 05:14:51 PM »

Sorry if I'm a little late on this one but I have run both the sage LE and the fenwick HMX. Both are slower action rods however I find the sage to be slightly faster. Both are well suited for beginner flycasters. di0nysus, reddington also has a lifetime warrenty on all of their rods and do not require you to send in $40 for a replacement. However, they were bought out by sage so I'm not sure whats happening with this.
Actions speak louder than words.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »

my myself, very much so prefer the Sage LE for any other 6 wt. Fast action and great for zippin line out there ;D ;) :D :) 8)