Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favourite Pink Salmon fly?  (Read 13577 times)

Kype

• Try the fly!
Favourite Pink Salmon fly?
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »

What's going to be your 'go to' fly for the Pinks this Summer?

Toss up between;

> a small rolled muddler with silver body, or;
> a chartreuse crazy charlie for us!

Let the fun begin!!
Try the fly!

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Favourite Pink Salmon fly?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »

your Crazy Charlie is about the same as my go to which is a chartruese clouser my second is a pink/silver pattern. pink/silver beadhead rolled muddlers are also a good bet
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »

Funny thing is we never do very well with pink coloured flies - natural (muddlers, etc) and charturese seem to be the go-to's.  Though a blue rolled muddler with a silver bead head was deadly too!
Try the fly!

ricer

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »

Feel like sharing some pics of these flies?

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »

small /sparse/pink with white bead or green with white bead (little bit of flash) in the Fraser the white bead seems to make a difference
both work well for me either off the beach or in the river  :)
I dont have names as i just make them up
I have never tied a fly for pinks that has not work and no i am no expert
The key is to get the fly near the fish and you should get hits ;)
try tying something different ie mix up the bead color and try them out and hve fun

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »

for pinks i tie my flies in pink, blue, and bright green.
my flies tho are a size 6 with dumbell weighted eyes. then chaneeil wrpped around the hook twice then around the eyes
then the same colour or pearl flash as a tail going from the eyes to about an inch past the hook.
for the dumbell eyes i usually go red/or white eyes but for green i use the bright yellowygreen ones.
super simple fly and gets down to them and almost a fish a cast.
i might put up pics later
oh and a small size 8 with a bright yellow bead head and pink plasticy body and crystal flash tail
also a couple more patterns thatll i post
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:21:56 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »

Last few cycles my best fly for Pinks has been gold dumbell eyes, silver body and a couple of turns of cherise or hot pinks marabou plus some silver flashabou.  A Pink Eve variant with a dubbed silver angle hair body and a wing of pink antron has been productive over many years as has a variant of a rolled muddler that uses pink mallard and a head of hot pink wool. Mostly pink in the Fraser - Vedder -  Harrison systems. 

Blues and chartreuse often work well on the Island beach fisheries.

Pattern isn't important. Using smaller patterns when the water is clear can be. Often a #10 does muc better than a bigger pattern usch as a 6. Tie sparse flies for such situations as well.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:13 AM »

Pattern isn't important. Using smaller patterns when the water is clear can be. Often a #10 does muc better than a bigger pattern usch as a 6. Tie sparse flies for such situations as well.

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner... generally the pattern is secondary to the size of the fly when we're talking about fishing pinks.  Just get it in front of them and they'll snap at it.  You do want a selection of colours and sizes, but I wouldn't be overly fussed about the pattern itself.

My recommendation?  Pick a fly you have confidence in (ie. the rolled muddler), tie it in a few sizes and colours and densities (ie. some thick, some sparse), and get out there!  Pink fishing isn't rocket science.  ;)

Good luck!
:D
Tex

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner... generally the pattern is secondary to the size of the fly when we're talking about fishing pinks.  Just get it in front of them and they'll snap at it.  You do want a selection of colours and sizes, but I wouldn't be overly fussed about the pattern itself.

My recommendation?  Pick a fly you have confidence in (ie. the rolled muddler), tie it in a few sizes and colours and densities (ie. some thick, some sparse), and get out there!  Pink fishing isn't rocket science.  ;)

Good luck!
:D
Tex

I agree as well!!  Couple muddlers, couple crazy charlies, couple clousers, couple epoxy minnows, blah blah blah...just get out there!!

- John A.
- John A.

Chilcotin

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:06:25 AM »

Just out of curiosity the use of your flies, where would you use them on the Fraser. I will be doing some fly fishing for pinks for the first time and would like some insight on some good locations. If some are secret I understand but if there are areas that are not please let me know. I am out of the Abbotsford area and unfortunately do not have a boat. Also when will be the best time to start booking my holidays?

Thank you very much much for the info.

ejeffrey

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »

Just out of curiosity the use of your flies, where would you use them on the Fraser. I will be doing some fly fishing for pinks for the first time and would like some insight on some good locations. If some are secret I understand but if there are areas that are not please let me know. I am out of the Abbotsford area and unfortunately do not have a boat. Also when will be the best time to start booking my holidays?

Thank you very much much for the info.

I don't know about spots for your area, but anytime in the first half of September will be the best.

cohojoe

is 2011 a pink run year in the fraser ?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »

Anyone know if this is a pink run year in the fraser.   it was really good two septembers ago. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: is 2011 a pink run year in the fraser ?
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »

Anyone know if this is a pink run year in the fraser.   it was really good two septembers ago. 

Yes

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: is 2011 a pink run year in the fraser ?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:29 PM »

Anyone know if this is a pink run year in the fraser.   it was really good two septembers ago.  
yup pinks run the fraser every odd year from late july to september
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:25:10 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

mcallagan

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »

My favourite Pink Fly:

Opal Pink Shrimp

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/fly321.html

Watch for porposing pinks then cast out with dry line, long leader upstream, and strip in when line starts on the downstream arc.