Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginners fly rod for lakes?  (Read 13683 times)

DeeAngler

Beginners fly rod for lakes?
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »

I tried doing a search but didn't find the answer .... so .... what weight fly rod is best suited for a beginner to:

1) Fish interior and local lakes ... sorta all purpose ... trolling flies, I believe it's fishing a fly using a little float thing :-[ and to learn casting and retrieving.

2) Learn to fly cast.

If I get the hang of it (casting) could also try fishing for cutthroat and maybe pinks? Not into going for Sage or top quality but still a good buy for ones buck.

I guess I might need some expert advise on what lines to start with.  ;D

Capilano Mano

Re: Beginners fly rod for lakes?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »

I would say buy a 5 or 6 weight rod. If you want to troll flies, or even fish for pinks a 5/6 is perfect. From my experience learning to cast with a mid weight rod like a 6 is easiest for beginners. I would also say it is the best weight for all purpose, general flyfishing. As you move to lighter rods, learning to cast can be a tad frustrating. By the sounds of it you won't need a heavier rod such as an 8/9 with the fishing you plan on doing.

-CM

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »

I'm no expert but have some experience, if you want a good all purpose rod that you can try on a variety of fish and conditions a 5 wt. or a 6wt(if you plan on some larger species) will do you just fine.  I use a 4 on the interior lakes and cutties down here but switch to the 8 come coho/pink/spring time.  A 6 is a good compromise if you want to experience all of it with one rod. You mentioned not going for a sage, but I'm a fan of sage rods, and their inexpensive ones are very good too, I have cast their "launch" in a 6 wt, it felt pretty nice and was much lighter than some of the other 6's around.  They won't break the bank anyways and you'll be into something that will last you a good long time.  Get something less and you'll probably just spend the money on a sage or equiv. eventually anyways!  As for lines a floating line will do you for just about everything if use some ingenuity.  The little float thing is a strike indicator (probably), used when chironomid fishing or nymphing.  Floating line is what you'd be using for that also :) I've always had good luck with scientific anglers (SA) lines.  Not so much with airflo.  For reels, good bang for your buck is pfleuger or dragonfly reels, the nice thing about dragonfly is that their distributor (redisports) is here in burnaby and are very good with warranty.  I had a problem resolved the same day resulting in a brand new reel....and they let me keep my old spool too. Hope that helps?  Good luck, you're going to love it :D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:29 PM »

I would also say either a 5 or 6wt would be your best bet as a mutli purpose trout/pink rod. regarding rods and brand names, between rod brands there is slight differences in the weight of the rods and actions in the same weight classes however only experienced casters will notice these normally. My 5wt is a Sage rod, My 4wt is an Echo, my 6wt is a Fenwick. now there is suttle differences in these rods because of the weight differences. the sage is a fast crisp action rod which can make casting quite easy "most day", the 4wt is a moderate or medium action rod which requires a little more "skill" in casting because of its slower but deeper casting stroke. the 6wt is also a fast action but because its a 6wt its just a bit stiffer so casting becomes almost done without effort (once you learn the timing of casting) I actually never use my 6wt anymore and saying that im going to put up this one time offer.

If you would like i will sell you my complete 6wt setup. Fenwick Eagle GT rod 9' 6wt, Martin classic large arbour reel with a weight forward 6wt dry line and backing ----- $80 firm. this is a complete setup and i can even help you out with some casting instruction  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:53:49 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

Now thats a good deal :D

I just bought a new Fenwick HMX 9' 5wt rod and reel combo with spare spool, reel laoded with flaoting line and spare with sinking line,
rob bag, rod reel case and cap for $299.00 + tax

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »

Thanks for that Britguy LOL i thought it was a good deal also myself. I do however think i prices it quite fair as the rod is a few years old and hasnt been cast in probably 3 yrs  :-\ I would like to see this rod back in action as it has caught some very large fish in the past for me. has always been the lucky rod also usually out fishing my other rod (when in a boat using 2) I also lent it to someone on a weekend fishing trip and he outfished 2 of us by himself  >:( >:(

If this rod doesnt go to this person i MIGHT put it in the classifieds otherwise i might keep it for when my kid is old enough to learn LOL ya right we all know that gives us excuses to buy more gear  ;D ;D ;D
Check out our new blog

prairiefire

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »

I'll second it that Hook is giving you a good deal. A couple years ago I got a 4 piece 6 wt Temple Fork Outfitters rod and reel with floating and sinking line and a rod tube for $250 from Sea-Run. I'd say Hook is offering up that combo at less than half price of one brand new. If you really want a brand new setup a lot of the shops are having sales right now. Just drop by the closest one and try and work out a deal. Good luck.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

DeeAngler

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »

Ooops .... sorry Rod for the errant post.  :-[

Thnx for all the info everyone. There sure is allot to consider.  :-\

Hook ... email sent.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »

i havent recieved an email from you Deeangler  :-\ here is my email, please label so i can recognize it  ;)

jimmybob_69@msn.com
Check out our new blog

bluesteele

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »

Hi Hook  :)

Bluesteele

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »

hows it going Blue?

send me an email buddy, i think we need to fish this year  ;D
Check out our new blog

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »

got your email Dee and replied  ;D
Check out our new blog

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »

I tried doing a search but didn't find the answer .... so .... what weight fly rod is best suited for a beginner to:

1) Fish interior and local lakes ... sorta all purpose ... trolling flies, I believe it's fishing a fly using a little float thing :-[ and to learn casting and retrieving.

2) Learn to fly cast.

If I get the hang of it (casting) could also try fishing for cutthroat and maybe pinks? Not into going for Sage or top quality but still a good buy for ones buck.

I guess I might need some expert advise on what lines to start with.  ;D

Okay, so you have had a few responses and talked to a few shop clerks, and now have a few things to think about. I am pleased you didn't fall for the Sage propaganda ( Personally I find them over rated). Kufa make a nice starter for a reasonable prise.

As fly fishing instructor, I recommend men start with a 6 or 7 wt and ladies start with a 5 or 6 wt (the difference in line wt between the sexes has to do with differences in bone structure). My critics will say that those line wt's are too heavy. Critics always criticize which is why they are critics instead of teachers; they are good at finding fault not solutions. You want to work with a line weight will allow you to feel it load your rod when casting. Failure to get a feel for your rod loading (the tip flex under the weight of the line being cast) will hinder you learning to cast properly. So start with a 6 or 7, work with it for a season, then match your rod weight in accordance to the species you pursue.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »

::)

7wt will collect dust after you've learned that it is too heavy for interior lake fishing (this will take one day catching average interior lake fish to discover ;)).  Solution: stick with a 5 or 6 and make sure you get a line weight that loads your rod properly.  Newsman I don't think anyone would dispute that a rod that loads properly and easily is a good thing...it's not about the weight of the rod though it's about the balance of line/rod....you know that!  You can have a 4wt that loads better than a 7wt if you have proper line on it, I know, I have one...and its a sage!!! :D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »

Everyone has their like and dislikes. I disagree with your claim that a 7wt will stay unused. they make good Coho, Steelhead, Sockeye, and Bass rods. Back in 1970 when I started this game everyone started with a 7wt and my favorite rod is my Morado.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"