Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?  (Read 85527 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »

7-Eleven called. The store is closed so all chocolate bars can remain wrapped and those which were unwrapped and rewrapped can now be returned to the shelves and remain there for the rest of 2013. ;D

;D ;D ;D
A rig out of water catches no fish.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »

I guess this thread and all the blame game on the bb fishermen have done the damage. I don't know where you have 50 sockeye hookups for a day by one guy. In the one and only time I bounce this year, never saw it in the bar I fished and Snaggy is an awesome sockeye bar during prior oppenings. Never saw this in prior years. The number is a fairy tale and it sure gets the authority to zoom on the issue. This plus those who have connection to DFO probably did the flaming. But in the end, all parties lose and the fish win. Long live the fish. But from the fact that the OP of this thread couldn't even name the colour not to say a picture, the thread is more likely a troll by a bar fisher trying to shame the bb and now ending up closure of the entire section of the Fraser affecting both groups of fishermen. If next year, another guy comes in here doing the same bragging about huge number of sockeye hookups. we will see the same consequence. I wish CO could be sent on site to actually count sockeye hookups by fishermen on the bars. It is never 50 sockeyes per rod, not even 5 in the bar I fished. Most of the experienced spring fishermen rarely hooked sockeye. They know where spring travel and most would retrieve the bounce after the 45 degree line angle is passed to avoid the sockeye.

Oh well, now we can all rest a little and wait for the Fraser pinks, or if you care for some sub-standard pinks, go to Squamish.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:03:19 AM by liketofish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:52 AM »

Yes that must be it... Chris has actually double teamed to inflate the number of by-caught sockeye salmon in the Fraser River. Through this website's connection with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, I have managed to successfully conspire and find a justifiable reason to shut down the entire recreational salmon fishery from Mission to Hope. Bar fishers have pushed their agenda to defeat flossers. We actually had a toast in Chilliwack last evening to celebrate our victory, because we had so much free time to spare.

Seriously? ::)

If you choose not to be involved in the consultation process and don't have a clue about how these management decisions are made, then keep opinions like the above to yourself please. It's difficult to decide whether one should laugh or be offended by your absurd non-sense.

Liketofish, you should be either a politician or a lobbyist if you aren't one already.

TNAngler

« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2013, 06:15:47 AM »

^^^  Blah blah blah.

Even the sites owner has regarded your fishing method as a poor choice for what species you were after {from what I gather, that being chinnook}, why can't you see that ??

You say you got only 2 chinnok but a good 50 sockeye, well from what I understand, a few guys have had much better success rates catching chinnook while bar fishing in less than a week than you have flossing your brains out for 10 days or whatever.

Sometimes you have to do what is proper in regards to what is asked by the people who write the rules {in this case, using selective fishing methods}, whether it's the most fun way to fish for you or not, and just think, if your such a skillful angler you probably would have landed a bunch of nice chinnook while all the other bar rods you said you saw, caught squat.

Bar fishing is a great way to spend the day, and there's nothing more exciting than hearing that ol bell jingle and watch the stampede !! It's a lot of old time fun, one hell of a lot more fun than using a long leader to foul hook everything in it's path.

AND....If you want to talk nets I suggest you start another thread, as this is about BB'ing, you know, to stay on track so to speak. :P

p.s. Maybe try taking all this as constructive criticism instead of pokes and jabs, I'm thinking that may be hard to swallow for ya but i guess there's a slim chance and if i offended you personally then you have my apologizes. Your still a flosser though........ ::)

I took Rodney's comments to heart.  Yours, well, let's just say you haven't convinced me or probably anybody else of anything.

I have bar fished.  I have heard the bells.  If you think that is an exciting way to spend the day, then have at it.  To me, it is a boring waste of time.

Also, it was established that the rules did not ask anybody to use selective fishing methods.  Perhaps they should have, but they didn't.

Consider my points on hook placement and the complete number of fish caught when changing colors and I will take some of what you said as constructive.  Some of it was just insulting and meant to be that way.  The fact is, you ignored all of my points except to scoff at them and expect me to take yours seriously.

TNAngler

« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »

Here you go. Don't say that I didn't warn you.

That is too bad.  Although, honestly, if they wouldn't have let recreational go and it would have also prevented FN from going, I'm sure plenty of people would have been very happy with that, especially me.  If all of the bycatch was able to get up and spawn and the 90k from FN was able to get up and spawn maybe when this run came back it might be stronger.

Also I hope you guys get a whole bunch of rain soon so that maybe the river will cool down and the fresh water will be some in that have been waiting out in the salt.

TNAngler

« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:04 AM »

Anyways, the POINT was that you're trying to rationalize away your unlawful behavior. That is not to say that all laws are just, and I am not judging you; I am simply trying to alleviate your confusion as to what the deal with bb'ing (during a closure) is.

When I was up there, bb'ing was not closed.  There were no regs saying you couldn't bb.  They weren't asking people not to bb.  Sockeye was closed and if you caught one, you were asked to release it quickly and gently.  You don't like how I fished but to say it was illegal is completely wrong.

TNAngler

« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:41 AM »

I guess this thread and all the blame game on the bb fishermen have done the damage. I don't know where you have 50 sockeye hookups for a day by one guy. In the one and only time I bounce this year, never saw it in the bar I fished and Snaggy is an awesome sockeye bar during prior oppenings. Never saw this in prior years. The number is a fairy tale and it sure gets the authority to zoom on the issue. This plus those who have connection to DFO probably did the flaming. But in the end, all parties lose and the fish win. Long live the fish. But from the fact that the OP of this thread couldn't even name the colour not to say a picture, the thread is more likely a troll by a bar fisher trying to shame the bb and now ending up closure of the entire section of the Fraser affecting both groups of fishermen. If next year, another guy comes in here doing the same bragging about huge number of sockeye hookups. we will see the same consequence. I wish CO could be sent on site to actually count sockeye hookups by fishermen on the bars. It is never 50 sockeyes per rod, not even 5 in the bar I fished. Most of the experienced spring fishermen rarely hooked sockeye. They know where spring travel and most would retrieve the bounce after the 45 degree line angle is passed to avoid the sockeye.
 Oh well, now we can all rest a little and wait for the Fraser pinks, or if you care for some sub-standard pinks, go to Squamish.

I highlighted a couple of your points.

Ok, first, ::) that you think this thread and my claiming 50 fish is the reason it closed.

Second, you didn't read what I wrote.  I went up 4 days, with 3 people.  We caught 50 sockeye, between the three of us, all but two in 3 days.  That means 10 fish to the boat each day.

You never saw 50 sockeye on one rod and rarely even 5 per rod?  50 might be stretching it but I have seen one rod, fished right, come pretty close.  The year of the big run I missed but I'm betting if I was there I would have seen it.  In the years when you could keep 4, I know we came close, mostly only keeping big fish and helping out some others on the bar that couldn't catch anything with some of the ones that were smaller.

As for your 45 degree comment, you might have missed my comment.  We were picking up before 45 degrees.  Well before that.  The sockeye that were hitting were 1/4 of the way down from straight out.  And we weren't casting short.  We were casting further than anybody else on the bar.  Right where you say that the experienced chinook fishermen expect the chinook.

I only get a week up there every year and I would gladly take you out one day with my dad or I can see if my dad will take you out so you can witness it for yourself.  It's my dad's boat as obviously I don't live anywhere near there enough to have a boat to go out in.  If I was there IRL, I would have no problem showing all of you what we use even give you enough stuff to get set up.  Heck, even let you cast with our poles so you could witness a hit for yourself.  I don't feel comfortable posting it on a message board.  I bet if there were fish there and you committed enough time to catch a couple fish with us, you would agree they were hitting and understand I have been telling the truth.

TNAngler

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »

And to Rodney's comments about the nets, I don't solely blame the nets.  It was just the one leach on the system I chose.

What happens when you get a leach on you?  It sucks your blood and drops off when it is full.  Unless you get a disease from it, you are strong enough to handle it and won't even really notice.  Leaches can kill you though.  How?  Two ways.

If you are very weak already, the extra blood loss might be too much and so it really isn't the leach that killed you but it was the final cause.

If you get covered by too many leaches, you can loose too much blood too quickly and your body won't be able to cope.

The fisheries is sick, very sick.  There are also many leaches sucking on it.  Nets are one.  Loss of habitat is another.  Warm temperatures is another.  Low rain fall is another this year.  Fish farms are another.  Poachers another.  You can go on and on.

When I was up there, I think there were a couple hundred thousand sockeye crossing the counter each week.  Now the leaches have dropped that number considerably.  Frankly, I think closing it is the best thing that could happen to this fishery.  The nets won't stay out long if they believe the recreational's are catching and possibly illegally keeping fish.  Recreational guys will complain loudly if the nets are able to fish when they aren't even allowed on the water.  The only way to do it and do it effectively is to shake off as many leaches as you can all at once and try and keep them off long enough that the run can recoup and deal with the leaches that weren't able to be removed.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:03 AM »

I am a member of the hated bottom bouncers, except I do it right.

In my opinion, if you aren't going to get the fish to hit and catch it right, there is no sense even going.  Just stay home.

You should have just stayed home. ::)

TNAngler

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »

You should have just stayed home. ::)

Considering how much we paid to catch and release a handful of sockeye, bring home two small Chinook, and play one much larger, you should be thanking us for helping fund your fisheries.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2013, 07:15:13 AM »

How about send me an e-mail with your set up then?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2013, 07:27:36 AM »

Will the recent closure teach those that went out  fishing non selectively the last few weeks not repeat this practice in the future? I guess one could hope so but then there is many that find numerous reason why they think they can and would continue to do so if a closure was not put in place after today. You can read them in posts above.

The only solution as hard as it will be for some to accept is for FOC to get in the tackle box and restrict the ways to fish when there is stocks of concern in the river that can be impacted. It is done now with regulations now, fly only, bait bans, barbless hooks, area closures, hatchery fish retention only etc.. Many have been advocating this for some time now. If not we have now lost a lot of fishing opportunities so many have enjoyed and worked for, for many years on the Fraser River.

Those involved in making these changes will be reading this and similar threads so its time people to get it done.

TNAngler

« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »

How about send me an e-mail with your set up then?

Done.  Hope I don't regret it.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »

Sockeye was closed ...  You don't like how I fished but to say it was illegal is completely wrong.

Sockeye was closed, you fished for them, and you say that is legal... Review your Logic 101 notes and then pull your head out of the sand m8!

Btw, 50 fish per rod is easily achievable when they're in there. I myself have caught ~20 sockeye in a the span of 3-4 hours, as have others I know or have met, on more than one occasion. 50 in a day is not unreasonable if you know what you're doing. And, believe me, this 45deg nonsense has NOTHING to do with anything. I've caught springs at the tail end of the bounce (75 deg) and sockeye at 1 o'clock. I've caught springs close to shore, sockeye far from shore, and vice versa. There is no secret to this fishery, though there MAY some ways to rig up that are more effective than others. Bottom line, hucking betties with long leaders is a non-selective fishing method. Until PROVEN otherwise, one is fooling only themselves in thinking otherwise.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

TNAngler

« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »

Sockeye was closed, you fished for them, and you say that is legal... Review your Logic 101 notes and then pull your head out of the sand m8!

Btw, 50 fish per rod is easily achievable when they're in there. I myself have caught ~20 sockeye in a the span of 3-4 hours, as have others I know or have met, on more than one occasion. 50 in a day is not unreasonable if you know what you're doing. And, believe me, this 45deg nonsense has NOTHING to do with anything. I've caught springs at the tail end of the bounce (75 deg) and sockeye at 1 o'clock. I've caught springs close to shore, sockeye far from shore, and vice versa. There is no secret to this fishery, though there MAY some ways to rig up that are more effective than others. Bottom line, hucking betties with long leaders is a non-selective fishing method. Until PROVEN otherwise, one is fooling only themselves in thinking otherwise.

I fished for Chinook, I caught sockeye.  Fishing for Chinook was legal.

Yes, 50 fish is easily achievable with the right conditions.  However, arm strength will keep many from getting there, as will having to spend the better part of the day to do it.  And if you add in a good sized chinook, the arms usually just won't stand for it.