Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Area Chums  (Read 15557 times)

Vancouver_2010

Squamish Area Chums
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »

New to fishing in general, and thinking of trying the Squamish area for chum this year after getting shutout on the Cap about 5 times.  Just two quick questions:
Is float fishing an appropriate method?  I only have a 5 weight fly rod and obviously I don't think that's going to cut it.
Second, whats a good leader length to avoid snagging/foul hooking?

Thanks

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Area Chums
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:00:08 PM »

Dead drift chartreuse/pink/purple jigs under a float. Leader length isn't important - 18" isn't important.
You shouldn't snag fish.
A 5wt is entirely unacceptable for the Squamish.

jon5hill

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »

Float fishing is appropriate. 1 foot leader length - use a blue/purple jig under a float and keep it well above the fish. Sometimes my entire presentation from float to jig is only about 2 feet. The chum will be arriving now and ramp up right through November.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »

With all the recent rain the Squamish is way too high and with that comes silt making visibility about nil.  Need some cool weather without rain for several days before it is fishable.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

5# is good for cutthroat.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »

Get yourself a nice 8 at setup! The fly is very effective for these fish. But yes, short floating jigs is a good option...

Silver

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »

New to fishing in general, and thinking of trying the Squamish area for chum this year after getting shutout on the Cap about 5 times.  Just two quick questions:
Is float fishing an appropriate method?  I only have a 5 weight fly rod and obviously I don't think that's going to cut it.

Thanks

What do you mean? Was there too many people, or was the river too high?

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »

Thanks

5wt for Chum specifically would be way to light, they are notorious for breaking even sturdy rods, and sawing through line.
Float Fishing is fine for chum fishing, I always recommend it before trying others. Especially if you are newish to fishing. Doesn't mean you can't do it with a fly but I always find when I am introducing people from lake fishing or no fishing back ground at all. Because the odds of getting a bite are quite a bit higher some would argue the opposite but this is just my experience.

There is no good leader length to avoid snagging, you'll snag a fish if its 6" or 36" it's physics plain and simple. But it depends on the conditions and where I fish or how spooky they are. typically I am my leaders are usually around 1ft not much longer, I find thats plenty. If I fish for coho I like to go a bit longer, I find they spook easily.
Reason is because of the current, the swing of the hook and the fact there are some clowns that will yank on their rod after every twitch.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »

There is no good leader length to avoid snagging, you'll snag a fish if its 6" or 36" it's physics plain and simple. Reason is because of the current, the swing of the hook and the fact there are some clowns that will yank on their rod after every twitch.
Drag free drift with a weighted hook (i.e. jig). The only way to snag a fish is if it swims into the hook.
Retrieve fast to avoid hooking the zombies near shore.

When chum are thick any swung or retrieved lure will snag them. An unweighted hook will snag or floss fish.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »

Drag free drift with a weighted hook (i.e. jig). The only way to snag a fish is if it swims into the hook.
Retrieve fast to avoid hooking the zombies near shore.

When chum are thick any swung or retrieved lure will snag them. An unweighted hook will snag or floss fish.

Maybe be so but th leader length still won't matter, if your already deep the currently is pushing that hook at a good rate, when you retrieving fast it puts more tension on the line making it more gaft like. If you happen to pull through a pocket and there is a bunch of resting fishing moving up, it's gonna grab something. Thats the point I am making. You are likely you may still snag something. Worst is during pink season, lol. But when I am fly fishing, pulling bingo bugs, jigs, corks, plugs, or wool. It depends on the density of the schools and how much pressure is on the fish hole.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »

Was out today water was high but fishable in the cheakamus river area.8 chumlees to hand on pink/purple jig combos with many many more float downs.
I diddn`t foul hook any on a 16 inch leader the water was around 4-5 feet and i set mi float to 3 feet.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

Was out today water was high but fishable in the cheakamus river area.8 chumlees to hand on pink/purple jig combos with many many more float downs.
I diddn`t foul hook any on a 16 inch leader the water was around 4-5 feet and i set mi float to 3 feet.

How safe is the river now? I know a while ago there was a chemical spill, that was pretty devastating to the wildlife there. It's one of the reasons I try to avoid that area, because it takes time to for things to rebuild, it'll never be normal again. But maybe I should head there and do a little fishing even if its just CnR. It's always been a really lovely place to hang out and fish.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »

It was packed with fish in the pockets near the fast water but i fished a slower run.ALOT of wild cohos around but no biters :(

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »

Glad to hear its doing well!
Maybe it couldn't hurt to toodle on up and at least visit.  :P

Vancouver_2010

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »

What do you mean? Was there too many people, or was the river too high?

Probably due more to the crowds and I was pretty cautious about venturing into some of the more remote areas of the canyon this year when everything was so wet/slippery.  Probably the best chance I had was the day those guys got rescued off of the island by the Highway 1 bridge pool, I was on the North Van side and the two guys beside me hooked up a few times but no luck for me.

Thanks for the info on the squamish guys, I'll do my best to head up next week one morning.