Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flyfishing questions for Kokanee  (Read 8328 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
flyfishing questions for Kokanee
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »

What is the best fly for Kokanee and do you fish with floating or sinking line? Is there a link to a good read about this? In my first and only trip to Kawkawa, the fish seemed to be up at the surface attacking the chironomid hatch. Can you use dry fly on the Kokanee during the hatch or a nymph will work better? Finally can you troll with a float tube and what fly works best when trolling behind float tube? Can you troll a wedding band with a float tube and be effective?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:54:19 PM by liketofish »

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: flyfishing questions for Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »

I had some success with type 3 sinking line trolled slow or cast and retrieved at Alouette lake last spring. Flies should have some red in them.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »

Personally, finding a pod of feeding fish is more important to me that what fly I use. Stick to your basic red micro leeches, spratleys and buggers and you will get into fish. I always have a spool with floating line if I want to fish with an indicator and a spool with a clear intermediate sink for trolling or retrieving. You can go an hour of nothing then have fast action for 15 minutes and catch your limit. Often you will see the surface boiling and simply drop a fly in there and you should get fish. As long as you are fishing amongst active fish, it should be pretty easy to get them.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »

Thank you guys. The flies look great. What size hook is best? How about chironimid flies or dry flies (like Tom Thumb)? any one fish that with success?

One question I forget to ask is what weight flyrod is best for Kokanee to get the most action? I have a 6wt for trout in interior lakes. Is this an overkill for Kokanee?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:46:27 PM by liketofish »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »

Never heard of Kokanee taking dry flies. They are plankton and shrimp eaters so I doubt you would have much success. If you can find fish (like in Rod's video) then a chironomid suspended under the boat should work well.

You won't feel much of a fight on a 6wt (I use a 4wt) but it'll work. It would be best if it had a soft tip.
Kokanee have very soft mouths, especially the smaller ones. It is important to not do a large hookset. Best to just start stripping and to let them run.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »

I use a 4wt, have fished them with a 5 and was fine but a 6 was already a little overkill. Here are my favourite chironomid patterns, a lot of red ribbing and back seems to do the trick once you find the fish. The leeches are the flies that I use to locate the fish when they clearly aren't surfacing. The top red one is my go-to fly and I have a lot of confidence in it as it has gotten me the most fish. It may be just me, but the coho seem to take the natural coloured ones like the spratleys more than they do the brightly coloured flies, generally making me stick with brighter patterns.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »

Thanks again guys. Some very great looking flies. Is the bead head weighted? Do you paint it or the bead comes with colour? Do you guys think fly fishing can out do the krill?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »

Yea beads have some weight and come in a bunch of colours. Green, red, orange, pink, gold, silver, black, you name it. Depends on where the fish are and what they are feeding on at a certain part of the day. Every day is different on this lake so on some days it will, some days it won't. Depends on the water temperature, weather and all of that.