Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis  (Read 2793 times)

fisher man

chehalis
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »

Hello everyone,I'm planning on going up to the chehalis this Sat. and scout out the new trial.I hav'nt been up there really since the river changed.I was thinking of bringing up my daughter she is 5 years old.Can anyone let me know if that is a good idea.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »

I'm sorry to report that large portions of the fishermans trail were washed away in the last high water. Not that it was really unexpected to those of us who fish the river a lot, but still kinda a shame that all that money was wasted  :-\

The Chehalis is not a place to take a 5 year old. I'm afraid you'd be better served spending your time on the Vedder.
Actions speak louder than words.

chromer

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »

I heard about that trail. Where abouts was it? I usually fish around the Morris Valley Road bridge or down around where the old Easter Seal used to be, all the water by passes the hatchery and your into some serios bushwacking if your hoping to fish below that run (Easter Seal). Too bad there used to be some really nice water from the Easter Seal ( bible ) all the way down to thae hatchery.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »

Fishing requires attention... I would suggest splitting your attention between a 5 yr old and your float is very bad idea.  I saw a guy drag a kid around the old ranger run, the kid was entertaining himself (forced to) as the dad fished.  The kid fell in a spawning channel and got soaked...he was not in danger yet the dad yelled at him...I felt sorry for the kid...a river is not a good place to babysit.

I have 2 sons - 6 and 7 yr old, I think they still are too young for most river fishing situations. 

i have taken them out one at a time down to a pool with salmon and done some spin casting.  even if there aren't any bites the cast/retieve thing keeps them busy and entertained.  I actuall have them casting the rod and I simply supervise. 

Taking a 5 year old float fishing for steelehad seems like a bad idea all round...they can't cast the typical steelhead rod, there aren't as many fish compared to salmon so boardom is an issue and winter flows right now are high.  i don't know if your "scouting" means more walking than fishing but the chehalis usually requires bushwhacking, no fun for a five yr old either.

fisher man

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »

Thanks guys for your response.I won't take her to the river.I just didn't know if the trial was a dyke like trial or what.I was thinking of more of a scouting than fishing trip,but things said, we'll go some where else.To bad the trial has been destroyed i know a lot of work went into it.
Do you guys know why the trial was damaged,i mean is the river that unperdictable. Hears a thought and please it's only for conversation purposes,but could we not block the river and make it flow back towards the hatchery?

fishfinder

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »

could we not block the river and make it flow back towards the hatchery?

It would take too much money and work. The river flow at the Easter seal area is about 6 to 7 feet below the top of the rock pile that covers the former path of the river that flowed toward the hatchery. From Easter seal to the hatchery is  half a kilometer or more. That's a cupcakes pile of rocks to remove. Also they've already spent a ton of money building the dyke that protects the reserve so why would they now spend more money diverting the river. Even if it could be diverted the river may blow out the new diversion. The river is going to find the easiest way to run and it chose the present path. It's natural selection at work, so to speak.  Just have to accept it and move on.