Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a Dream  (Read 7410 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
I have a Dream
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »

Its not much but it'll do. http://www.pikeminnow.org/index.html
Take the T out of Morton.

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: I have a Dream
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

Way to go, Bass. Let's push for it here on the Fraser. Over 20 years ago, I read on Field & Stream magazine an award program by Oregon fishery dept for the same fish. They claimed that this fish predates on salmon fry and so should be elmininated. But it was only for $1 per fish. I guess it is inflation. But if we have this, it will pay for our Fraser Valley trips. Why not make the dream come true?  Just ask Chris to push this to his friends in DFO.... ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:20:17 PM »

Great idea guys but who do you think would fund this program?  Remember, US bounties are paid by the power companies.

Hold on, maybe we could ask Alexandra Morton to set up a NPM removal fund?  She asks for tons of money - what's a bit more ;D

salmonlover

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »

I saw a program on pbs about pike minnows eating the salmon fry and some of these guys can take 6 months off every year cause they make a lot of money catching these suckers.

FishingKing

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »

I like the idea! This would give you a good reason to want to catch pikeminnow.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »

Hold on, maybe we could ask Alexandra Morton to set up a NPM removal fund?  She asks for tons of money - what's a bit more ;D

Or better yet, make the fish farms pay to offset all the other damage they do to the ecosystem.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »

Or better yet, make the fish farms pay to offset all the other damage they do to the ecosystem.
I know this is derailing Bassos's dream but I bet he won't mind :D, so in another post perhaps, show us how much damage ff do to the ecosystem.
Hopefully you have something new to add.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »

Some of us have tried to promote this with FOC some time ago but was a no go, besides with the cutbacks with the Feds it will be dificult for them to fund it.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »

I know this is derailing Bassos's dream but I bet he won't mind :D, so in another post perhaps, show us how much damage ff do to the ecosystem.
Hopefully you have something new to add.

Nvm you beat me to it..... :D

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »

Some of us have tried to promote this with FOC some time ago but was a no go, besides with the cutbacks with the Feds it will be dificult for them to fund it.

Now seriously if we had something like that I could seriously think of semi retiring.. :o :o

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

Its not much but it'll do. http://www.pikeminnow.org/index.html

I'll be the wet blanket here and say I don't support it in BC, until I understand it more.

WA and OR states went that route because they dammed the mainstem of the Columbia. Of course, salmon popualtions plumetted, and the few fry the were fortunate enough not to be crushed going over the spillways, and were able to descend the fish ladders, were mauled by the NPMs waiting at the bottom. A NPM bounty was easier than pulling the dams out.

The Fraser has different problems and mainstem dams is not one of them. Salmon fry/smolts and NPM have co-existed in balance for millenia. To me, to me at this point, to introuduce a NPM bounty is knee jerk, and dangerously interferes with the ecosystem. There are many examples throughout human history of a concerted effort to wipe out, or mitigate the threat, of a predator (or a pest) and years later there being some serious, and unintended, negative consequences. To such a degree that a century later, they are attempting to re-introduce the predator back into the ecosystem. Yellowstone wolves spring to mind.

A NPM bounty in BC seems to be a no brainer, however the BC experience is not the WA or OR experience and it concerns me until I can understand it more.

Having said that, a NPM bounty would be a huge amount of fun :)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 02:15:09 AM »

All squaw fish should die. My buddies and i target them in the off seasons and they all get smacked[ is there really an off season though]
Hey, let's not try to make another species (except mosquitoes) extinct. Alright? Without enough natural predators to sustain the salmonid pop's trout may one day be as much of a problem as the squaws.
Someone was here

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »

Big prizes for catching (pikeminnow) have been out there for years. Just not in some of the rivers here. You want to get in the competition for fishing them usually means heading down south to enter the comps. If your going, let me know if you will pick up some duty free beer on the way back.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fillibert

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »

How about instead of paying out cash you could write off part of your gear expense when tax season arrives. Just like you can write off part of your tools and expenses if you have a business.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »

Hey, let's not try to make another species (except mosquitoes) extinct. Alright? Without enough natural predators to sustain the salmonid pop's trout may one day be as much of a problem as the squaws.

What planet are you from???