Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?  (Read 14107 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Hiking to quiet spots on the Vedder?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »

Here is what I have done;

I fish the C/V a few times a year for steelhead with limited success.

I don't fish it during the summer/fall months for pinks, springs, coho or chum.

I fish other systems that have little to no traffic, with limited to moderate success.  But the no traffic thing trumps all for me.  I need relaxation, at least some level of seclusion (when not fishing with a buddy) to consider my limited time on the water to be a success.

I did a lot of reasearch, had a lot of unproductive days but it is so rewarding to take bits of information, use trial and error and to grow into a relatively succesful angler.

If you want some success, hit some of the 'meat holes' on weekdays, and get some notches under your belt.  The reason that they are meat holes, is because those are often very productive.  Sometimes a hundred meters up or down from there can yeild some decent water and less crowds.  Not all water looks 'fishy' to the inexperienced angler.

Best advice, keep at it.  Don't get discouraged, even if you don't catch anything, you will have learned some things that day.  Keep a log of dates, catches and conditions.  Most of all, count your blessings that you are healthy enough to get out there and slog away.  Not everyone is afforded this luxury in life.

Best of luck.