Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: Indian Arm dock fishing tips  (Read 2732 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Wanted: Indian Arm dock fishing tips
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »

Going to Camp Jubilee soon to supervise a group of campers. It's up Indian Arm, across from Buntzen Lake area.

Was planning on bringing a lightweight rod and mini tackle box to do some fishing off the dock, if I get a few spare minutes to myself. I don't care what I catch because I won't be keeping anything I reel in.

Any suggestions as to what kinds of lures, setups, etc... to bring? Will trout spoons and spinners get me anything in saltwater? I've also got a bunch of plastic bass lures. I don't usually fish saltwater and know pretty much nothing about it. I picked up my saltwater license when the pinks were running though so I've got my paperwork done!

TimL

Re: Wanted: Indian Arm dock fishing tips
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:57:19 PM »

I was there earlier in mid September on a work-related camping trip! I was thinking of bringing my fishing rod but decided not to as it was too much of a hassle to pack. From what I observed the bottom there was fairly rocky. Around the dock, I saw lots of shiner and larger striped perch seen during the day, rockfish at night lurking among the rocks. You may also get greenling. Best to use a simple light setup with bait (worms, shrimp pieces) on small hooks for the perch. The larger perch species (striped and pile) can often be leader shy and can be extremely difficult to entice around piers. Best to use a light leader and tiny swivel weighted with a couple of split shot..allow the bait to drift naturally in the water. Float-fishing can also be effective. For greenling, use slightly larger hooks with shrimp/worm, fish near the bottom/piling during high tide. There is a creek flowing into the inlet just north of the campsite (which was dry when I was there), on the first morning that I was there, I saw a group of salmon (probably coho) feeding near the surface not far from the creek mouth. You may also get the odd sea-run cutthroat. I have used small trolling spoons (Gibbs Gypsies, Dick Nites) for sea run cutties off the beaches with some success- I'm guessing a similar setup might work.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »

Thanks for the ideas! I've got a light rod that breaks up into 5 pieces and stores in a small tube. Makes bringing a fishing rod a lot easier, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Excited at the thought of cutthroat! Can scrounge some dinner leftovers for bait but don't know how many shrimp they'll be feeding us ;) I'll be curious to see if the creek's flowing again. It's dry on Google Maps.

TimL

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »

No problem...let us know how you do  :)