Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleanup Results On The Chilliwack/Vedder River April 23  (Read 4079 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Cleanup Results On The Chilliwack/Vedder River April 23
« on: April 23, 2005, 06:38:13 PM »

Although the attendance was down from the January turnout of 150 volunteers the 75 to 80 people that were able to make it out was still very good.

From a number of reports from the volunteers that took part the good news was there seemed to be not as much garbage to pick up as there was in the last few cleanups. It looks like the CVRCC program is getting through to the general public that dump garbage along the river bank and to those careless river users that have not taken their refuse home with them in the past.

Good to see Hiker, his wife and Steeler 2000 out once again and I know there was a few others from this forum that I missed seeing.

Am sure a few other CVRCC directors will add their thoughts and pictures of the cleanup to this brief summary as will other forum members that were able to attend.

Mark Saturday, July 9 on your calenders, the date of the next cleanup.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
Re: Cleanup Results On The Chilliwack/Vedder River April 23
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 07:10:30 PM »

I am happy we were able to go out and help. It was such a beautifully day.

I agree with Chris, we did collect 3 bags of garbage in not too big area, but garbage looked very old, like from last year campers, and in general it looked more clean than before. I hope this is not just a coincidence and that the message is getting through. It is a very good idea to give us business cards we can give to people who ask what we are doing. We met a family which was camping and they were helpfull and very interested in what we were doing. I hope people follow example. There is much more work to be done though. I wish they teach kids in school about importance of environment protection (and take them out to help cleaning anywhere as that would really show them how much it is important to do so) and that we can make an impact on thousands of people who go fishing this year during salmon season. Maybe giving them printed material, but I am worried we could find a lot of it floating down the river.

On the other hand, I have tried fishing for 3 hours, and didn't hook with anything except few branches  ::)
Still, It was a beautifully day to be out there. I have seen a lot of salmon fry, and that just made my day. Love to see new fish emerging and starting what is going to be hopefully great return few years back (and some of them my dinner too :) )

Hope next time there is even less garbage, more fish, and more of us helping.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 07:32:53 PM »

Forgot to mention, that while fishing around 2:30pm in Peach Road area I have seen an orange kayak floating, upside-down, down the river. Hope nobody got hurt.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 08:30:41 PM »

glad to here of the successfull day
sorry the canoe family could not attend this time
due to a cadet band competition
WHICH WE WON  ;D ;D ;D
but we will be there in july for sure
thanks again for all your efforts
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 08:45:25 PM »

glad to here of the successfull day
sorry the canoe family could not attend this time
due to a cadet band competition
WHICH WE WON  ;D ;D ;D
but we will be there in july for sure
thanks again for all your efforts
cnm
Congrat's on the big win today. ;D ;D

Not to worry about not attending as it is far more important to be able to attend family activities. You and your family are great supporters of CVRCC and have attended countless cleanups. Will look forward to seeing you on the 9th of July.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 08:50:08 PM »

Thanks steeler 2000 for the gloves, much appreciated.

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 08:59:06 PM »

The best part about the cleanup today , besides the weather  was the lack of garbage to cleanup  ;D
Great to see the hard work by all is paying off .I also saw the kayak go by and if anyone is looking for it I know where it ended up.
Was rewarded by the river gods with a big fat ( full of fry no doubt ) 6lb. Dolly in the afternoon .
Did get a picture but unfortunatley will have to wait for the developing  later. ::)
Your welcome on the gloves and will see you with some more in July ;)

Lew Chater

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 09:07:52 PM »

Thanks to all who were able to get out today. Congrats Canoeman on your win. As Chris said, family comes first. Generally there was less garbage but a couple of areas still produced 3 full truckloads of everything from grow op to numerous car parts. I had gone over the whole river on Friday and was pleased to see improvement, but as I was leaving about 5:30, the camping crowd was coming out so I will go back on Monday to some of these sites to see what they are like. Hopefully people are becoming more responsible.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 12:48:36 AM »

Cleanup photos

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 01:46:26 PM »

No bags of dope time? ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 08:37:44 PM »

Forgot to mention, that while fishing around 2:30pm in Peach Road area I have seen an orange kayak floating, upside-down, down the river. Hope nobody got hurt.
I heard rumors there was a drowning yesterday from this kayak. Anyone else hear this?

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 08:49:08 AM »

wow glad to hear there was some good numbers  of people turnin out for the cleanup this time around. the ole pepsi back pulled a bulging disk problem again so i was not able to attend this time around. glad to hear that the garbage was less so it seems the public maybe is taking notice of all the hard work we do here at fishing with rod. will see ya at the next one for sure. ;D :D 8)