Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spring virgin...  (Read 3494 times)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
Spring virgin...
« on: April 22, 2005, 10:59:22 AM »

Going to take up bar fishing for srings this year (or at least try it between sturgeon trips ;D) anyone have any good tips or areas that they wish to share ???

Thanks
Mike

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Spring virgin...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 11:48:39 AM »

Most of the bars around Island 22 in Chilliwack will produce fish. Of course water height and more important clarity is a big factor when bar fishing.

I find a number 0 silver spin&glow with the red or green top to be a good producer.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 03:52:57 PM »

You don't necessaraly need a bart if youve got a boat there is good success on the edge of submerged banks, Especially when it drops off and the water speed picks up.
Yes anchoring is another way to fish but try not to anchor too close to where others are bar fishing from shore. These springs are excellent fighters and bar fishers have lost springs into anchors of boats that get too close to the shore. It is a courtesy that most anglers that bar fish from boats keep in mind.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 06:10:01 PM »

how long of a leader from the weight to the hook do you normally use. I want to try bar fishing this year for the 1st time.

thanks dan

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:10:55 PM »

Sounds like allot of fishermen are getting lazy...Oh and I am one of them :)

I am taking it up this year for the first time as well. Anyone have some advice on what one should buy for a setup and not a costly one. I have a level wind so a rod is most likely all I need as well as a rod holder of course. ( selling our house right now money is going to be tight for a while )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

roeman

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 08:07:51 PM »

Rod holder the cheap kind, works just as good as the ones you buy from the fishing stores....
A piece of angle iron about four feet long, a piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot about 12" long and a couple of clamps. set the PVC a couple of inches below the top of the angle iron, so you can bang it into the rocks and sand without breaking the PVC.... simple and cheap.......
The best reel to use is a mooching reel, a little harder to get use to casting but they are almost indestructable, and way more fun to fight a fish on, there all lots of the at flea markets for about 20 bucks.......just my two cents
Are you fishin or catchin